Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 06:24 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,390,608 times

Advertisements

Well, im figuring why not with this post, as ive asked it everywhere else. I plan(wish) to get involved in a forestry career, for either the public or private sector, and was wondering what the industry is like up in alaska (regarding everything beyond the south-east islandy area. Prefably around anchorage/fairbanks to be on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 07:29 PM

20,295 posts, read 37,216,793 times
I will let others chime on this subject, but the forestry business in Alaska, as far as I know, is pretty much non-existing. There are a couple of very small operations taking place around Fairbanks, but it relates to a very small scale lumber business, and firewood sales.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:43 PM

That part i did understand, but forestry can also encompass management of the lands (employs many in maine in parts where logging isnt allowed), park/forest ranger/govt jobs, ect.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:44 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,528,319 times
Every once in a while I see either the Feds or the State hiring. I doubt the state jobs are going to open up until our budget problems are resolved. Even so, most of the Fed jobs I see are typically very low paying jobs in that area. Not that I want to discourage you from looking at it are applying.

What exactly do you want to do though? There are many things that I could read into I want to get involved in a forestry career, private or public sector... From logging to preserving the Forest. To dealing with the ecology surrounding the forest. Just erad an article in ADN that the Yellow Cedar tree up here could be endangered.

Next question would be, what are your qualifications?

Old 03-27-2016, 08:05 PM

At the moment i am looking at a future career in forestry, as i have an idea on the kind of areas i would like to live. I would perfer to work with sustainable logging or perserving (both actually go very hand-in-hand, with being a park/forest ranger a close second. I would have very little desire in fire-fighting.

Reason i am asking is as stated above, i either want to go to montana, idaho, maine, or alaska (any bufoon can figure out their similarities) and i would most perfer a career in forestry.

Also if y'all want trolls i can play one... And an idea for a post would be "where in alaska can i see 100+ degree temps every day"

Old 03-28-2016, 11:15 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,008,799 times
Logging in Alaska is just a fraction of what it used to be. If you want to work in the sustainable logging industry you might check out Washington or Oregon. However I just heard a long time logging company in the area is shutting down due to lack of trees to cut.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:03 PM

any news on the prospects for public sector then? i would assume tribes, businesses, the state, ect would be hiring people to manage their forested lands (as is common here). i know some states have "forest growth" or other similar land incentives where a landowner can hire a forester to help him/her manage the land, and as long as they leave it mostly alone they get charged lower taxes.

As well, what if i was to "open up" the area to anywhere on the road system, the panhandle, or (maybe) even off the road system (assuming said town(/s) would have basic 24/7 emergency care.

Last edited by TheKezarWoodsman; 03-28-2016 at 02:28 PM..

Old 03-28-2016, 02:19 PM

Secondly, i hear alot about alaska having a high cost of living, which is more than understandable, my only question is how high? how much money must someone make to live comfortably (not luxuriously, but not struggling).

alot of the jobs im finding online seem to be in the low 40k, up to 80k. The jobs that are lower seem to mostly include housing.

Last edited by TheKezarWoodsman; 03-28-2016 at 02:32 PM..

Old 03-28-2016, 04:35 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,251,614 times
I'm not sure that many of the towns off the road system would have someone working there involved in forestry. Maybe some state or federal level jobs that travel to some those places, as part of their duties. Probably would be based in Anchorage or Juneau. The exception might be federal level park rangers working some place like McCarthy/Wrangell-St. Elias, Kenai Fjords, etc.

The state is going through some very tough fiscal times, so I'm pretty positive that all nonessential hiring is frozen. Seems like what you'd be most likely to find up here would be federal, if you find anything.

For the general town on the road system (e.g., I live in Soldotna), I'd think that $50k-$70k is a somewhat comfortable gross salary, depending on your other benefits and deductions. $40k isn't necessarily all that easy to live on here, taking into consideration your winter gear for yourself and your car, potentially high cost of heating, fairly high housing costs, high transportation costs into and out of Alaska, etc. Off the road system, I really have no idea, but I'd think you'd need a higher salary to compensate for more flying, increased costs of freight, much higher food costs, etc..

Old 03-28-2016, 04:59 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,516,176 times
The USFS hires on the Tongass and Chugach. Some are timber positions but most aren't. Most available jobs are temporary summer jobs. Most permanent employees worked seasonally for a while. They usually offer housing at very cheap rates for the temp workers in bunkhouses which helps with the cost of living but you still have to pay to get there and then go home after the season. Alaska is pretty high on many people's desired places to work/live so they are very competitive. I'll tell you a little secret if you want to get anywhere with a forest service or federal natural resource field job in general: find the most undesirable, middle of nowhere place no one really wants to live and apply for jobs there. Use those to get the resume built up to get a job where you want one. You'll still get 100 non-hired results for every job offer but you won't get anywhere as an inexperienced applicant trying to get a first job in SE Alaska with the USFS or Yellowstone National Park with the NPS but you might in Blackduck, MN or similar locales few people are interested in.

Obviously the NPS and BLM hire as well in AK. Forget about BIA jobs if you aren't native. Forget the private sector there for forestry.

It is rather curious that a state with so much spruce timber available in its backyard imports most of its construction materials. Alaska's economy really hasn't gotten too well developed beyond the raw resource extraction stage.

Last edited by arctichomesteader; 03-28-2016 at 05:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska