Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 10:00 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,306,326 times

Advertisements

I'm not an anti-trapping activist but this article in the Fairbanks newspaper intrigued me and makes me wonder why this is allowed if true:
http://www.newsminer.com/opinion/com...fa36ea15c.html

The article states that only 5% of visitors to Denali National park report seeing a wolf down from 50% ten years ago. There is an all time low of only 48 wolves in the park compared to 170 wolves ten years ago. The author states this is due to a narrow strip of state land that cuts deep inside the park where hunting and trapping is allowed, sometimes killing Alpha males and pregnant females.

Does anyone have a right to bait, lure, trap and kill such a rare animal such as a wolf in today's day and age? Especially so near a national park that people from all over the world pay lots of money to come visit? Can anyone chime in and condone this or should we reinstate the buffer zone?

My personal thoughts are it's one thing to trap a very common small animal in Timbuktu Alaska where there is abundance of a certain kind of animal, but wolves in and near National Parks should be off limits... Surely Alaska is big enough to find another trapline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 11:46 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
I don't really care about tourists seeing critters, but I do think there should be a buffer zone for hunting and trapping around preserves. Maybe not for all species (I mean, there what seems like infinity of certain animals, particularly those lower down the food chain), but at least for the ones with more limited populations and a large but local individual ranges, like wolves or bears. The animals don't know where the magic line is, and allowing resident animals to be taken if they stray just outside the preserve kind of defeats the purpose of having the preserve. This applies to wolves moreso than most other animals, too, because of their social structure - if you hit a certain individual it can have a disproportionate impact on the whole local population's reproduction for a year or more.

I'm not sentimental about wolves, or anti-hunting, but I think Alaska's current rate of wolf culling overall is hard to justify in terms of either ecology or human necessity, given that the wolf population is more inherently self-limiting and slower to boom than that of our other big predators, that they're so rarely a nuisance species, and how little use we make of the bodies.

Last edited by Frostnip; 05-27-2016 at 12:10 AM..

Old 05-27-2016, 08:17 AM

10,560 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
My personal thoughts are it's one thing to trap a very common small animal in Timbuktu Alaska where there is abundance of a certain kind of animal, but wolves in and near National Parks should be off limits... Surely Alaska is big enough to find another trapline.
I agree.

It's yet another example of how moronic the masters of this state usually are.

In this case, I believe it comes down to a stubborn application of boneheaded politics- "States rights vs. the Feds".

National Geographic recently ran a story on this. One guy is responsible for the most recent high profile wolf killings in this area, and he apparently does it mostly just to **** people off.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:51 AM

863 posts, read 2,078,369 times
If the overall population in the region (not just the park) is getting close to not being sustainable, then yes, land managers should step in by whatever means necessary.

On the other hand, the tourists see wolves when they have dens close to the park road. I'll bet even the park's total count is biased toward the park road area, just due to cheap access for biologists and their techs. Few wolves near the road doesn't necessarily mean the overall population is unsustainable.

The corridor of state land referred to is along Stampede Trail (Into the Wild and the magic bus...) which only cuts into the northeastern corner of the park: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denali...NP_map_NPS.jpg

Full disclosure: I'm not against trapping or predator control, including animals we have a particular emotional attachment to. To me, killing a wolf is morally no different than killing a vole (both mammals with similar nervous systems), as long as you're not putting the overall population in danger, in either case. On the other hand, I don't feel that killing either should be done without cause. Kill a vole if it's getting into your house, kill a wolf if they're threatening human subsistence, or if trapping is a primary source of income with few other options.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:52 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,882 times
I have no moral objection to trapping or hunting but Coke Wallace sounds like a menace, not to mention an ignorant a**hole that gives hunters and trappers a bad name. And I'm sure he enjoys that status.

How Can 6 Million Acres at Denali Still Not Be Enough? -- National Geographic Magazine

I care zero about whether a bus load of gringos get to see wildlife on their summer vacation and would generally prefer that the wild places we have left remain wild. A little road obliteration project through the park wouldn't hurt my one feeling at all.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:54 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
Full disclosure: I'm not against trapping or predator control, including animals we have a particular emotional attachment to. To me, killing a wolf is morally no different than killing a vole (both mammals with similar nervous systems), as long as you're not putting the overall population in danger, in either case. On the other hand, I don't feel that killing either should be done without cause. Kill a vole if it's getting into your house, kill a wolf if they're threatening human subsistence, or if trapping is a primary source of income with few other options.
^best stated.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:57 PM

10,560 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
On the other hand, the tourists see wolves when they have dens close to the park road. I'll bet even the park's total count is biased toward the park road area, just due to cheap access for biologists and their techs. ..
.. Kill a vole if it's getting into your house, kill a wolf if they're threatening human subsistence, or if trapping is a primary source of income with few other options.
The population surveys are done by air, so I see no reason why their count would be biased.

And, wolves aren't threatening human subsistence in the area.

Agreed that the population drop is most likely somewhat complex and not entirely due to abandoning the buffer zone.

FWIW, I do care about more tourists having the opportunity to see wolves. Wildlife viewing is one purpose of our national parks.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:42 PM

863 posts, read 2,078,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
FWIW, I do care about more tourists having the opportunity to see wolves. Wildlife viewing is one purpose of our national parks.
But does that give the park (the feds) the right to regulate outside their boundaries (land belonging to the state, native corporations, municipalities, private individuals)?

IMO, if the park finds that it needs some kind of jurisdiction over lands outside its boundaries to protect wildlife viewing for its visitors, then it needs to lobby for expansion, initiating the whole public process that would entail.

Old 05-27-2016, 02:32 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post

Besides this:

https://www.nps.gov/dena/learn/news/econ-benefits.htm

and this:

https://www.nps.gov/dena/learn/news/econ-benefits.htm

Old 05-27-2016, 05:56 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
If those wolves are killing off all the moose, maybe they need to be thinned back a bit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska