Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 03:51 PM

7 posts, read 11,946 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some relocation input from people who are familiar with both Alaska and Montana. I would like to have somewhat of an open ended discussion about the pros and cons of both places, considerations I may not have thought of yet, and any other helpful advice you all may have.

A little bit about me to help:
Originally from Oregon. I am about to graduate with my bachelor's in civil engineering, but I'm most interesting in construction management related jobs. I currently have job offers from companies near Bozeman, MT and Prince of Wales Island, AK. Both of these jobs are very similar as far as compensation goes. Also, there is another job possibility based in the Palmer, AK area. I enjoy the outdoors and the "wilderness feel" of both places.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 04:00 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
What company offered you a job on POW? There's a lot of fly-by-nights here. A few good ones I guess, but construction seems to be suffering as a whole. Living expenses can be high here...what are you looking for in a community?

Last edited by Metlakatla; 02-28-2017 at 04:09 PM..

Old 02-28-2017, 04:16 PM

Southeast Roadbuilders. Seems like cost of living is pretty high in Bozeman too, though I think the real estate is the driver of that.

Old 02-28-2017, 04:31 PM

I guess you could do a lot worse than that company.

Don't know anything about Bozeman so can't offer a comparison.

Places to live can be hard to come by here, but maybe your employer can help with that. Should be a pretty good fish year for silvers, but you'll have to work off a nonresident license until you've been here a year. If you're the kind of guy who needs nightlife, you're SOL. Outdoorsy types usually like it okay here until something like today happens and they wish they lived somewhere else.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 02-28-2017 at 04:40 PM..

Old 02-28-2017, 04:42 PM

Yes, I have a place to live lined up with both companies. So that's not really an issue. Why do you think the construction industry is suffering there? I grew up in western Oregon, getting about 50 inches of precipitation a year. Is there much of a transition to the 100-120 inches in Southeast? I like the idea of the coastal life, getting a boat eventually, the fishing, etc.

Thank you for your replies, Metlakatla.

Old 02-28-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masrebrag555 View Post
Yes, I have a place to live lined up with both companies. So that's not really an issue. Why do you think the construction industry is suffering there? I grew up in western Oregon, getting about 50 inches of precipitation a year. Is there much of a transition to the 100-120 inches in Southeast? I like the idea of the coastal life, getting a boat eventually, the fishing, etc.

It's good that you have a place to live; people often want to move here but can't because of the housing shortage.

I was born in Western Oregon...the thing about that is that summers are damned nice there. I've seen people move up here and get Seasonal Affective Disorder in July. It all depends on you, I guess. I always found that Western Oregon had more and better opportunities for outdoor recreation. In fact, I am going to Oregon myself soon so that I can experience spring again.

You can learn a lot about what's here by looking on the Prince of Wales Chamber of Commerce Website.

This article talks about the current state of the construction industry in Alaska.

Alaska Journal | Construction forecast down 10 percent

Old 02-28-2017, 05:06 PM

10,555 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
.. Is there much of a transition to the 100-120 inches in Southeast? I like the idea of the coastal life, getting a boat eventually, the fishing, etc.

If you want to boat and fish, POW blows the other two places out of the...water.

Weather wise, instead of a 6 month rainy season as in PNW, you have a 12 month rainy season.

Summers aren't quite as warm, and winters are a bit colder.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
If you want to boat and fish, POW blows the other two places out of the...water.

Weather wise, instead of a 6 month rainy season as in PNW, you have a 12 month rainy season.

Summers aren't quite as warm, and winters are a bit colder.
Yeah, that's what it looks like. Bozeman certainly has it's own beauty and attractions too (although I would probably only be in Bozeman 6 months of the year due to work travel).

As far as the 12 month rainy season, it is definitely something I'm aware of, probably just one of those things I'd have to try and see if I was susceptible to SAD. Although POW seems to get 80-100 inches of precip vs. 140 at Ketchikan, for instance. What' the general culture like on the island and SE? How are the people generally? (Obviously that depends on how a person treats them first to a large extent)

Old 02-28-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that's what it looks like. Bozeman certainly has it's own beauty and attractions too (although I would probably only be in Bozeman 6 months of the year due to work travel).

As far as the 12 month rainy season, it is definitely something I'm aware of, probably just one of those things I'd have to try and see if I was susceptible to SAD. Although POW seems to get 80-100 inches of precip vs. 140 at Ketchikan, for instance. What' the general culture like on the island and SE? How are the people generally? (Obviously that depends on how a person treats them first to a large extent)

I'm not a fan of the culture here, but as a local business owner, I try to be tactful sometimes. Maybe today isn't one of those times.

Everywhere you go, someone's got their hand out. The sense of entitlement is off the charts. The social event of the season was a turkey shoot. Animal abuse/neglect is rampant. It's major Trump country, if politics matter to you. Lots of drugging and drinking. On the flip side, religious fundamentalists are well-represented among the populace here. School sports are big here. No real arts community or culture to speak of. ETA this is not in response to SE in general but rather to this specific area.

There are good people here, though. Your potential employer knows a lot of them. I'm pretty much a crabby old misanthrope myself.

ETA it's not so much the precipitation here that gets to people as the gloom. Just because it's not raining doesn't mean there aren't low-lying clouds much of the time. If you're the type who gets outdoors a lot, you might be fine.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 02-28-2017 at 05:51 PM..

Old 02-28-2017, 05:50 PM

5,425 posts, read 3,490,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
...until something like today happens and they wish they lived somewhere else.
What happened there today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska