Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 09:44 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,172,520 times

Advertisements

The family and I will be relocating to the valley this summer. We are not exactly sure of where, but more than likely it will be in the Palmer area (won't know assigned school until May). We are going to look at buying a house, so are there any specific areas we should stay away from?

We don't mind living in Palmer proper, but we also don't mind a short commute either.
We will be living off one income, so please don't suggest neighborhoods that start at the $300k mark

If it helps, we have applied at two charter schools (both in Palmer) for our children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 10:22 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,618,673 times
We live in Wasilla and enjoy it, but sometimes we wish we had bought in Palmer. There's just something special about that place....
I'm not aware of any places in Palmer to avoid. Some people might say The Butte, but there's some nice homes in the right areas with some great views.
Be sure to ask about water quality. Seems like I remember a news story about a neighborhood that had water issues...
Oh, and welcome to the Valley!!! We are a lot nicer than people think.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:32 PM

300 posts, read 329,648 times
Yep, check water in the area, that neighborhood had arsenic issues.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
We live in Wasilla and enjoy it, but sometimes we wish we had bought in Palmer. There's just something special about that place....
I'm not aware of any places in Palmer to avoid. Some people might say The Butte, but there's some nice homes in the right areas with some great views.
Be sure to ask about water quality. Seems like I remember a news story about a neighborhood that had water issues...
Oh, and welcome to the Valley!!! We are a lot nicer than people think.
When I talked to our agent, I told him I wanted a house with 3/2 bed/bath and good water. I’m tired of rust water.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:54 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,618,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
When I talked to our agent, I told him I wanted a house with 3/2 bed/bath and good water. I’m tired of rust water.
We had rust and calcium in our water. We installed a simple water filter, like this: https://smile.amazon.com/Culligan-HF...e+water+filter . I get the filters at Ferguson on Bogard. Cleaned up 95% of the rust and 50% of the calcium. I change the filter every couple of months.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:28 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,425,943 times
I'd go with Palmer over Wasilla until the day I die and I wouldn't care what it took to make it happen.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:17 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,178,472 times
Butte is great on the west side of the old Glenn and terrible on the east side.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:34 AM

195 posts, read 278,729 times
So glad that you posted this! I was going to do the same thing - haha. I still think it's funny that you and I are both making the switch from the same general area of the Bush to Palmer this year. We are out here now waiting for the baby and have started looking around at housing some. Touring a rental tomorrow, but it's hard to know what areas are better than others.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahTravels View Post
So glad that you posted this! I was going to do the same thing - haha. I still think it's funny that you and I are both making the switch from the same general area of the Bush to Palmer this year. We are out here now waiting for the baby and have started looking around at housing some. Touring a rental tomorrow, but it's hard to know what areas are better than others.
You know it. We’ve been debating renting for a year vs buying. A lot to think about.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:33 PM

460 posts, read 609,940 times
If you do not know where you will be working, it would probably be best to rent, Avoid Wiliwaw subdivision and the subdivision up North bear street both towards Wasilla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska