Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2018, 01:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,935 times

Advertisements

Hi,

sorry if there are posts out there about this already- I cannot seem to find an answer...

So I have applied to a lot of seafood processing jobs in AK; I understand that it depends on the season for how much work there is and that some companies hand out the work to some before others- like the manager may choose who works, and it may be someone that is their friend, etc, if there isn't a ton of work. I also understand there is some sexism depending on the company, with the distribution of hours....

basically, I want to make at least $14,000 doing this, whether I am there for a few months or nearly six months. I've done all the math, but I am familiar with seasonal work and know it doesn't always work out like that idealistic scenario you've calculated out is. So my question is to anyone out there that has done this and made more than $5,000, and has worked longer than the minimum time that a contract usually is-45 days, how much did you make, and how long were you there? Were you working 100+ hour weeks for more than 2-3 weeks straight? Were there gaps between those rushes, or was there really just one 2-3 week busy time and the rest was slower? Also, what is your experience with having work distributed- is it something that if you are determined enough to get you will get during the slower times? Or is it something that everyone is fighting over and is unequally distributed?

Another question I have is about food allergies;

I have sensitivities to gluten- like I get rather sick if I eat it and will spare you the gory details. I can handle food with trace amounts and I can pick things off food- it's not like I can't handle being around it, just not eating a thing of bread, ya know? So how likely is it for me to be able to be fed somewhat healthily, and fed during breaks as well, so I don't basically starve. Because I know I can speak about this with the companies- but in my experience companies over exaggerate how much they can work with me/ how good the food is, and then I'm left screwed.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond in advance.

Jenny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 02:32 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
You're going to starve.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:52 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
OK, I have a little more time now. The big processors aren't going to accommodate individual dietary needs; they're trying to feed as many people as possible for as little money as possible. Those preparing the food probably won't be receptive to special requests. You might be okay if you get on somewhere where a Filipino crew runs the kitchen, idk, but they can only work with what they're given and these big processors buy their food in bulk from the same distributor the prison system uses.

You mentioned in another thread looking at Alaska General Seafoods in Ketchikan. The deal with them is that although they process other types of seafood, they depend heavily on the pink salmon run, and that's not looking good this year for the panhandle. In your place, I might look at Alaska Glacier Seafoods in Juneau.

The -48 has a lot of jobs right now, and that means much less competition for seasonal work in Alaska, so don't be afraid to hold out for a good fit.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 05-04-2018 at 10:42 PM..

Old 05-05-2018, 03:01 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,882,281 times
Dietary restrictions are not good, most processing locations you'll have very little options. You might want to look at facilities in towns like Kenai or Kodiak, at least you can buy some groceries when in the need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska