Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 07:50 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post

I think a big part of our sensitivity to people moving up unprepared, is that Alaska ranks at the top of nearly every social ill in the US. Name one and we will be at or near the top:

I could go on, but my point is that if we don't immediately roll out the welcome mat, there's a reason.
Yes, this. Also, the state attracts a lot of "end-of-the-roaders" who really don't have anything to go back to and end up being a drain on our communities when things don't work out for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 07:53 PM

27 posts, read 32,525 times
...but wait...unless YOU are a NATIVE Alaskan, you are also "other" and who has contributed to the social ills that you mention. Imagine how Native Alaskans have felt as everyone has moved up and changed EVERYTHING. There is always good and bad when people come and go and I'm sorry but Alaska does not own the patent on that. That's just...fact.

Also, lots of places have social ills, not just Alaska. And not everyone who moves to NYC for the fame and fortune hail from Charleston SC. Some move to NYC from...gasp...ABROAD! lol Way more international people move to NYC (and the whole of the Northeast for that matter) than Alaska I would bet..except maybe for military families in certain areas.

Super curious...where are YOU from and where have YOU lived?

Old 06-27-2018, 08:06 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,858,131 times
Why are you assuming none of the people you're taking to are native Alaskans and/or Alaska Natives?

Old 06-27-2018, 08:15 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetaSLPBoston_AK2019 View Post
My credentials apply... It's a simple application + $150 fee. As I type this, they are doing construction. On the house across the street... There is always construction somewhere so the commute might be worth it. I doubt that I will have to work at different schools though... Well I hope not. Also paying with staffing agencies for medical SLP contracts.
If you work with a school district you have to take some extra Alaska specific stuff. Check into it.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:16 PM

I'm not assuming, which is PRECISELY why I asked one specific person. Whenever anyone uses "we" verses "the rest of you," I am automatically curious about the "we" part is all.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:17 PM

Well the state USED to have a fund so there's that.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:20 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Quote:
Well the state USED to have a fund so there's that.
The state used to have a lot of things, but now that it's damned near broke, a lot of things have been slashed from the budget.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I know... I am actually quite intelligent. This is why I'm starting the process a FULL YEAR AHEAD OF TIME. I am aware that all of Alaska is not the same. No one state is one thing. I'm u certain at the moment. Yes, I have somewhat narrowed down my geographical choices... I am applying to multiple school districts and I am not married to any one area. Also, school contracts are year by year so if I end up somewhere I don't love. I'll move on.

I didn't just wake up one day and say "gee, I think I will move to Alaska." it's been in the works for two years now.
If your dead set on school districts, Pm me and I can help you avoid the bad ones. Your highest districts in the road, will be harder to get into, but not impossible.

In the bush SLPs are typically contracted because schools don’t typically have enough kids to justify a full time SLP.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:22 PM

For all of you who are worried...don't be. I will be juuuust fine. And, once I am settled, I will come back to this forum and tell you how things are going and I can promise you a gajillion dollars that I won't be stranded anywhere nor contributing to Alaskans social ills. There are children up there who don't have access to services...children with Autism, speech disorders, language disorders. And there are not enough Speech Pathologists to serve them. These disorders do not discriminate so I will be treating ALL people, even children whose parents don't want "others" coming up there. I am an African American female and I will gladly take the plunge and if I hate it...i will just as easily peace out. LOL

Old 06-27-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks, hotels are a option too I guess. From what I've heard, people in the school in which one is hired often ha e a person or two that can help with housing, thankfully.
That’s a sales pitch. When you take a job in the road or in a hub, housing is typically secured on your own. Hotels get pretty expensive especially end of summer and beginning of school year.

SLPs have a pretty high turnover rate within the state. Jobs should be there, but they won’t be in the most desirable locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska