Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 02:45 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,422,547 times

Advertisements

That's a headline you dont see every day.

This didnt happen in Alaska but you have to admit that it's a somewhat unusual encounter:

Flying bear kills two Canadians in freak accident - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110608/wl_canada_nm/canada_us_bear - broken link)

– Wed Jun 8, 11:11 am ET

OTTAWA (Reuters) – Two Canadians died instantly in a freak accident when a car hit a 440-pound (200-kg) black bear and sent the animal flying straight through the windshield of an oncoming vehicle, local media said Wednesday.

The bear's body hit the 25-year-old driver and a 40-year-old man sitting behind her and then shot out of the back window. The bear also died.

The accident happened Monday night in a rural area about 25 miles north of the federal capital Ottawa.

"We don't see (this) often, even if we live in the country. Lots of deer, but collisions with a bear and two people died? That's really rare," local police spokesman Martin Fournel told the Canadian Broadcasting Corp.

Collisions between vehicles and animals are common in Canada, which has a healthy population of large wild animals such as moose and deer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2021, 07:39 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,685 times
This time of hear in Canada bear, mountain sheep, moose, cougar and deer of all types are "on the move" for various reasons. Which is why I simply don't drive at night. We even have a small BADGER in town running around. In Canada I wouldn't call this a "freak" accident. Bear hair is like a gilly suit: you're not going to see it at dusk or night until you hit the bear.

Old 10-14-2021, 11:22 PM

2,032 posts, read 1,652,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
This time of hear in Canada bear, mountain sheep, moose, cougar and deer of all types are "on the move" for various reasons. Which is why I simply don't drive at night. We even have a small BADGER in town running around. In Canada I wouldn't call this a "freak" accident. Bear hair is like a gilly suit: you're not going to see it at dusk or night until you hit the bear.

I'd call it a freak accident. Here in Alaska bears occasionally get hit by a vehicle but the only time I can recall that it resulted in a fatality was a guy on a motorcycle. Now moose, that's a different story.

Old 10-15-2021, 05:40 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Does sound rather "Anna Pigeon" like........

Old 10-15-2021, 07:31 AM

86 posts, read 65,761 times
I've seen dead bear on the side of highways in northern Minnesota, obvious struck by vehicles. It's not a big problem, as the bear population is relatively low and mostly concentrated away from where the bulk of the population lives. But deer? That's a problem, and they're a danger. I've struck three, and I know many people who have hit them. Where moose exist in numbers, it's a real danger. Deer are mostly struck on the body, but a moose just has its legs cut out from under it, and up to 1500 lbs. of animal ends up colliding with the passenger compartment on most vehicles.

Like this:

Old 10-15-2021, 09:52 AM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
^That is a real horror.

Has anyone heard of a traffic accident involving bison? Hitting one of those big critters would be like running into a brick wall.

A friend of mine almost hit a group of three that were out on the road somewhere in either Alaska or Canada, on a trip south during winter. He suspects they may come out onto road at times to escape standing in snow.

With bear, they have such a low center of gravity that it seems unlikely for them to be sent flying. Perhaps at higher speeds?

Old 10-15-2021, 10:20 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
^That is a real horror.

Has anyone heard of a traffic accident involving bison? Hitting one of those big critters would be like running into a brick wall.

A friend of mine almost hit a group of three that were out on the road somewhere in either Alaska or Canada, on a trip south during winter. He suspects they may come out onto road at times to escape standing in snow.

With bear, they have such a low center of gravity that it seems unlikely for them to be sent flying. Perhaps at higher speeds?

Depends on the car. Some of those sedans with their low, sloping hoods might be great for rolling something hit out.....or in! I think my brother called his old Lexus a Merecedes roller.

Old 10-15-2021, 11:10 AM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
There's a family story of relatives who hit a moose while driving a big heavy car across Canada back in the 30s or 40s. As usually happens, the car hit it in the legs, the body slid across the hood, through the windshield, and ended up draped across the dashboard and steering column. Don't recall that either of them were seriously hurt, just ended up pinned in their seats under hundreds of pounds of cold soggy hair and muscle for hours until someone else came along and rescued them.

Old 10-15-2021, 04:18 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
There was that bear in Juneau that fell through a skylight right into the middle of a dining room table where a family was celebrating a birthday. The bear started eating the cupcakes.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...akes/11397795/

Old 10-15-2021, 05:45 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
^That is a real horror.

I have heard of a bull bison deliberately charging and ramming into a rancher's car that was parked at the side of the road. Demolished the car.

Well nobody should mess with bull bisons. This following incident wasn't a traffic accident but it happened just this week in Canada at a Quebec wildlife park where visitors can drive their cars through some of the wildlife compounds. A bull bison got its head stuck inside the passenger window of a small car. It struggled and panicked big time trying to get free and did some damage to the small car during its struggles.

Visitors are absolutely supposed to keep their windows rolled up as they drive through the compounds but these idiots flouted the rules and this is what happened. I think the idiots should be fined for ignoring the rules and endangering the safety of the bison.

There is a short video here of what happened along with the news story. The bison did finally manage to get himself free:

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/i-was-shoc...in%20the%20car

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska