Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 06:41 AM

592 posts, read 2,810,407 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a place that a realtor has priced almost double what the Borough has it assessed at. That is the norm here in MN, but after speaking to two long time AK residents yesterday, they tell me the price is insane. One of the folks I spoke to said one should never pay more than 20% over the borough appraisal. The other (who worked for the borough) said basicly the same thing. Of course, the Realtor defends the price, telling me I don't need to tell the Borough what I pay for it as my taxes would certainly increase. What is considered fair as far as real estate pricing goes? There is nothing special about it, its about two miles off a main highway, 20 miles from the closest town, no power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 11:03 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times
Well...I bought some waterfront island property last week, that is appraised at 5200 by the borough. I paid 9 grand cash and got a steal. Vacant property with no improvements. But my taxes will be like 50 bucks a year because of the appraised value. Not sure with a house on property.

Old 03-22-2007, 03:21 PM

75 posts, read 329,713 times
D-land

Most of the problem here is BS realtors and attempting to install their blue-sky prices to their customers Listings....ie, larger commissions

Thats the typical California realtor attitude, which by-the-way is all over Alaska.

Make your offer in writting and make damn sure you get a signed response from the property owner....(so you know he actually saw your offer)

These realtors are famous for trickery....like not actually presenting your offer to the seller and then coming back to you to tell you your offer has been refused....

Ya gotta never forget they get paid a percentage of the selling price.....and they were all used-car salesmen prior to being realtors...

Do anything you can to avoid dealing with a realtor in Alaska.....except maybe allowing him to lead you to a seller thats willing to "do what it takes" to make the sale w/o the friendly little car salesman.......

Old 03-22-2007, 03:37 PM

959 posts, read 2,361,636 times
AK 454...good timing for this post...This is my first time even looking at buying property, so I am pretty nervous. What can you do if the property in AK u are looking at is only sold through realty...can u basically expect to get totally screwed or what? Are there any safeguards? Sounds like the best way is to try to go direct through the seller but don't they have an obligation to the realtor if they've advertised with them? Any way to get out of that?

Old 03-22-2007, 04:56 PM

63 posts, read 278,782 times
I'm not too worried my husbands grandpa's best friend until recently owned his own real estate firm.. We are actually living with him until we find a place that we like. He's up in Wasilla. I don't think all of them are bad, but i'm sure like anywhere it's hard to find a decent one. I would just talk around I'm sure someone can recommend a good agent.. The point of having the owner sign the offer though is a good idea!

Cynthia

Old 03-22-2007, 11:24 PM

395 posts, read 1,717,413 times
CL99 is right. Not all R.E agents are bad. You should not compare them to car saleman. They must take a battery of test and pass before the the state license them. And most of the sales people work for a broker who get a percentage of the sale. Yes, it is true, since they base their price on what the owner ask, it could be unrealistic price in our eyes. But, unlike P.T Barnum, in R.E., there are not a lot of suckers around with the exception of boom time. They have their function just like we have w/our line of work. No, I am not nor wish to be a R.E. agent.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:40 AM

Default I'll lump them all together....

Lawyers, insurance sales, opps....anyway, I spoke to a realtor last night who is a friend of my wifeys best friend in Wasilla, while we were on the phone, the realtor pulled 6 comps that confirmed my suspicions that the place is listed at about double what the comps say it should be at. DOUBLE...and the listing agent wonders why it has been on the market 300+ days. Let the negotiating begin!!

Old 03-23-2007, 10:32 AM

75 posts, read 329,713 times
Make your offers and require that they come back to you signed by the owner....take the realtor games out the process.

Realtors being required to pass a "battery of test and pass before the the state license them " hardly makes them outstanding individuals....they're working for the seller not you the buyer don't forget....and then of coarse there is that nice commission based on the selling price, that you are paying..

The real estate markets gonna take a big hit this year.....its going to be buyers market for at least a couple years.

Simply be an intelligent & informed buyer.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan454 View Post
Make your offers and require that they come back to you signed by the owner....take the realtor games out the process.

Realtors being required to pass a "battery of test and pass before the the state license them " hardly makes them outstanding individuals....they're working for the seller not you the buyer don't forget....and then of coarse there is that nice commission based on the selling price, that you are paying..

The real estate markets gonna take a big hit this year.....its going to be buyers market for at least a couple years.

Right on AK454, I always have and always will get my own agent instead of using the listing agent, one would be foolish to use the selling agent in negotiations. After all, it is a business deal and my backside is what I need to cover first. I realize it frustrates the "Selling Agent" when folks like me get their own (Cuts their commission in half) but like you pointed out, I'm paying the commission, and I need to do what is in my best interest. Thanks for all the input everyone...

Old 03-24-2007, 01:21 AM

395 posts, read 1,717,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan454 View Post

All I am trying to say is it is unfair to compare them to a car salesman who requires no test or even a rudimentary education nor a personal backgrd check. The market normally will root out the over priced property. True, the listing agent normally do work for the seller. But U, as a potential buyer, is not obliged to offer the listed price nor accept any conditions related to the sale. That is what the offer sheet is for. The buyer with the cash almost always have the upper hand if they have any negotiating ability. There are always other similar property and the seller w/any brain nos that. Otherwise, his property will sit til hell freezes over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: