Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 07:38 AM

88 posts, read 86,870 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody, long time reader but this is my first post here. And speaking of long, I do hope my post isn't too long.

So, moving on to brass tax, I was looking at the map last night, the map of Alaska that's always on my wall because I just decided to come there next month. With my 14yo son. Don't worry, we aren't moving in, just visiting because reasons.... I don't feel the need to have firm plans (but do I? maybe having reservations is the only safe way with such small towns, far apart) -- Anyway I'm trying to get at least a vague idea of what can & can't be done, preferably before I tell my son anything about the trip.

Here's what I'm thinking. We will get to Anchorage Sunday, March 6th. I've heard from a couple people that there's not much to do in Anchorage, like maybe just a couple days' worth? We'll see... we aren't typical tourists, and often we're interested in things they aren't and vice versa, so.

When we feel like it, I want to take a nice long drive to non-Anchorage, check out some towns (the kind with roads to them) and you know, the wilderness and other Alaskan things. Usually we keep it flexible & loose when we travel.

1) As mentioned above, opinions about what's good in Anchorage - activities, place to stay, food, and things I never heard of or wouldn't think to ask about. Most of it should be stuff that a 50-something woman (semi fit) and a teenage boy can do together. This part of the trip isn't about me so much, and will be more led by my son's choices (within reason) since it will be his turn.

2) The other thing is we'd like some recommendations for what to do outside of Anchorage. Our traveling style tends to be, as I said, loose... we have money & can afford the trip of course, but at the same time we have simple tastes and not really into wasting money, like spending more than necessary for X item or service (we do have standards of course, and won't deprive ourselves, but prefer not to spend extra unless there's a good difference vs. the less expensive choice).

People are always so nice to us everywhere, so I have no idea if we succeed at blending in with the locals for however long we go to a place. They're too polite to say anything - anyway it's not pretending we live there, more like just figuring out what's special & different about their culture compared to other places, and trying to participate on our version of that level.

There's one thing though, even though I realize this limits my options a LOT, but I don't want to do anything unless 1. a road goes to it 2. there's an acceptable place to stay &/or eat, if applicable 3. friendly people live there hopefully? Although we do have each other to talk to, which is also wonderful so we're not all let us in your house show us how you live you are the only person I have met here. This will be the longest we've ever spent together in a row since 2009, very exciting!

For the tl;dr crowd - I hate airplanes so much. Coming from NY this wasn't going to happen without some interaction with airplanes, but I hate big planes slightly less than little ones (and helicopters!) and I have xanax. It's not a fear of crashing as much as I don't like being confined in places where I need somebody else's cooperation to leave the location. In larger planes I can distract myself away from that (usually) BUT, please no little airplanes, helicopters, and for that matter, maybe boats but not if they go past where you can see the shore. (The boat thing is pure fear. Although it's always the other person's boat, so also the same problem with leaving.... )

I see aren't a lot of roads on the map in general, and some of them probably don't work in winter and I don't know which ones, but it looks kinda like this could work ~

It's a loop north of Anchorage (as if I have to tell you Alaskan types anything about the handful of towns y'all have) ~ I made it on google maps. Can we drive in a reasonably normal way on the roads in question, it's the route that comes up on google maps if you request directions to this list of towns in the same order. that go to these places. I haven't thought about what towns to stop in, first I have to find out the ones that have roads. Is this a reasonable March route?
Anchorage >
Willow Creek >
Tok >
Dry Creek >
North Pole >
Fairbanks >
Talkeetna >
Anchorage again.

Again no plans one way or the other to stop in the towns on the list, chosen so as to influence google maps to do the loop with them on it, you see.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 07:44 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,675,887 times
The Alaska Railroad (www.alaskarailroad.com) is a great way to see the countryside. You aren't cooped up in a car with each other for hours -- I think a teenager would enjoy it (and so would you!)

Old 02-16-2016, 08:08 AM

88 posts, read 86,870 times
Thank you, I will go check that out!

Old 02-16-2016, 08:55 AM

460 posts, read 609,940 times
That is the weekend of the Iditarod, better get your hotel taken care of first.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:40 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,618,673 times
The TripAdvisor Forum for Alaska is another great spot for information on visiting Alaska: Alaska Forum, Travel Discussion for Alaska, United States - TripAdvisor
You are coming outside of the normal summer visitor season. This is going to limit some of what is available to you. And you will be encountering winter weather, so be ready for that.
I personally wouldn't spend much time in Anchorage.
Here's some things that will be available at that time of year:
http://www.alyeskaresort.com/resort/...rial-tram.aspx (actually, if you don't like small spaces, you may not enjoy the tram.... Still, a stop at Alyeska is nice if you are headed south.
https://www.alaskawildlife.org/
Winter Activities - Denali National Park & Preserve (U.S. National Park Service)
You'll just miss the start of the Iditarod in Anchorage...

Old 02-16-2016, 02:58 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
I would seriously consider the Alaska Railroad.

March is iffy. Even those with excellent winter driving skills can run into difficulties when the snow melts and then freezes several hours later. The roads can be like an ice rink -- or they can be bare and clear.

Spend a night or two in Talkeetna -- stay at the Roadhouse or at least have a meal there. You'll have a great time.

TALKEETNA ROADHOUSE - Lodging, Meals, Cafe & Bakery - A historic building in Downtown Talkeetna, Alaska

Old 02-16-2016, 07:03 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,172,520 times
Though I've never taken the train I am going to suggest it based off my research. You are coming up when it is still winter or possibly early spring, which means driving conditions may be horrific. The temperature change in your proposed driving range will be pretty severe.

You are coming up during the IDITAROD and hotels may be hard to find as will rental cars. Check the dates. Other than that I think your plan sounds solid.
Just understand that there may be very long distances between places to eat and sleep. Also don't push your driving pace.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:21 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,190,209 times
Good food on the train too.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:40 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,590,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudia Dare View Post
Hi everybody, long time reader but this is my first post here. And speaking of long, I do hope my post isn't too long.

So, moving on to brass tax, I was looking at the map last night, the map of Alaska that's always on my wall because I just decided to come there next month. With my 14yo son. Don't worry, we aren't moving in, just visiting because reasons.... I don't feel the need to have firm plans (but do I? maybe having reservations is the only safe way with such small towns, far apart) -- Anyway I'm trying to get at least a vague idea of what can & can't be done, preferably before I tell my son anything about the trip.

Here's what I'm thinking. We will get to Anchorage Sunday, March 6th. I've heard from a couple people that there's not much to do in Anchorage, like maybe just a couple days' worth? We'll see... we aren't typical tourists, and often we're interested in things they aren't and vice versa, so.

When we feel like it, I want to take a nice long drive to non-Anchorage, check out some towns (the kind with roads to them) and you know, the wilderness and other Alaskan things. Usually we keep it flexible & loose when we travel.

1) As mentioned above, opinions about what's good in Anchorage - activities, place to stay, food, and things I never heard of or wouldn't think to ask about. Most of it should be stuff that a 50-something woman (semi fit) and a teenage boy can do together. This part of the trip isn't about me so much, and will be more led by my son's choices (within reason) since it will be his turn.

2) The other thing is we'd like some recommendations for what to do outside of Anchorage. Our traveling style tends to be, as I said, loose... we have money & can afford the trip of course, but at the same time we have simple tastes and not really into wasting money, like spending more than necessary for X item or service (we do have standards of course, and won't deprive ourselves, but prefer not to spend extra unless there's a good difference vs. the less expensive choice).

People are always so nice to us everywhere, so I have no idea if we succeed at blending in with the locals for however long we go to a place. They're too polite to say anything - anyway it's not pretending we live there, more like just figuring out what's special & different about their culture compared to other places, and trying to participate on our version of that level.

There's one thing though, even though I realize this limits my options a LOT, but I don't want to do anything unless 1. a road goes to it 2. there's an acceptable place to stay &/or eat, if applicable 3. friendly people live there hopefully? Although we do have each other to talk to, which is also wonderful so we're not all let us in your house show us how you live you are the only person I have met here. This will be the longest we've ever spent together in a row since 2009, very exciting!

For the tl;dr crowd - I hate airplanes so much. Coming from NY this wasn't going to happen without some interaction with airplanes, but I hate big planes slightly less than little ones (and helicopters!) and I have xanax. It's not a fear of crashing as much as I don't like being confined in places where I need somebody else's cooperation to leave the location. In larger planes I can distract myself away from that (usually) BUT, please no little airplanes, helicopters, and for that matter, maybe boats but not if they go past where you can see the shore. (The boat thing is pure fear. Although it's always the other person's boat, so also the same problem with leaving.... )

I see aren't a lot of roads on the map in general, and some of them probably don't work in winter and I don't know which ones, but it looks kinda like this could work ~

It's a loop north of Anchorage (as if I have to tell you Alaskan types anything about the handful of towns y'all have) ~ I made it on google maps. Can we drive in a reasonably normal way on the roads in question, it's the route that comes up on google maps if you request directions to this list of towns in the same order. that go to these places. I haven't thought about what towns to stop in, first I have to find out the ones that have roads. Is this a reasonable March route?
Anchorage >
Willow Creek >
Tok >
Dry Creek >
North Pole >
Fairbanks >
Talkeetna >
Anchorage again.

Again no plans one way or the other to stop in the towns on the list, chosen so as to influence google maps to do the loop with them on it, you see.

Thank you
I'm not an actual Alaskan , I was stationed in Cordova AK
for a year and half does that count?

You can not drive around in Alaska in the month of March ,
Alaska has some dangerous deadly weather that people
from the lower 48 sometimes don't know about. You have
to learn how to dress properly to remain warm and safe.

One good thing going for you is that the Bears are still probably in theirs Dens in March I don't know for sure
because I was stationed in Alaska 1976-77. I believe
that the only option you have is the train in March 2016 ,
but if you can somehow put your trip off until May 2016
you could take a Cruise Ship and see some port of call
cities on the Coast of Alaska.

If you want to DRIVE INTO THE INTERIOR wait until July
or August 2016 and make sure to take Bear Spray and
GUNS for you and your SON. I remember my days in the
COAST GUARD when I would walk around outside of town
without a gun or Bear Spray , that is until I ran into A Big
Bear and had all of the Hair Stand Up On My Head. Bears
are unperdicible they will walk off one Day and Eat you
Another Day that Bear Walked One Way and I Slowly Walked The Other Way And Never Went Anywhere
Without Weapons ( outside of cities limits )...Again...

Make sure that you got your Ducks all in a row And Have
FUN ON YOUR ALASKAN ADVENTURE...

Old 02-17-2016, 07:11 AM

958 posts, read 1,148,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I'm not an actual Alaskan , I was stationed in Cordova AK
for a year and half does that count?

You can not drive around in Alaska in the month of March ,
Alaska has some dangerous deadly weather that people
from the lower 48 sometimes don't know about. You have
to learn how to dress properly to remain warm and safe.

One good thing going for you is that the Bears are still probably in theirs Dens in March I don't know for sure
because I was stationed in Alaska 1976-77. I believe
that the only option you have is the train in March 2016 ,
but if you can somehow put your trip off until May 2016
you could take a Cruise Ship and see some port of call
cities on the Coast of Alaska.

If you want to DRIVE INTO THE INTERIOR wait until July
or August 2016 and make sure to take Bear Spray and
GUNS for you and your SON. I remember my days in the
COAST GUARD when I would walk around outside of town
without a gun or Bear Spray , that is until I ran into A Big
Bear and had all of the Hair Stand Up On My Head. Bears
are unperdicible they will walk off one Day and Eat you
Another Day that Bear Walked One Way and I Slowly Walked The Other Way And Never Went Anywhere
Without Weapons ( outside of cities limits )...Again...

Make sure that you got your Ducks all in a row And Have
FUN ON YOUR ALASKAN ADVENTURE...
Yeah why on earth did you pick march?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska