Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 12:26 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,511 times

Advertisements

Hate to start a new thread for this... From Seattle to Seward would you pay for such a service?? does it come in.. I knew a few years ago XM didn't in WA for the most part. Has it changed? Thanks Leaving this week for the drive!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 02:12 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,417,093 times
I can get Sirius up until about 100 miles from Anchorage. I dont know about Onstar though.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:57 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,545,876 times
Satellite service can be spotty in places as we learned last year on a trip as we lost Sirius contact and forgot to bring any CDs. There's only so much religious programming you can listen to. Most satellites are low on the horizon here and can be blocked by mountains.

I wouldn't go out and buy Onstar as you'll likely lose service in areas with it too. AAA would be a better buy. Also, cell phone service isn't continuous either on your route.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:08 PM

Thank you for responding...

ASpilot2be... so you get it from Haines to Anchorage almost? How bout lower in Canada?

Akck... Thanks also.. XM and Sirius the same now... thought maybe it changed since the combination. I know the XM sats are around Mexico so here in WA also it used to be spotty in trees Mts etc from the signal.... hoped it changed sounds like not much ...

Onstar here in WA works better in Mts with Sat phone vrs cell phone- Onstar phone will would work at my house but my cell will not...was mainly thinking of this - did you try onstar Sat phone at all???

Thanks for the advice -- at this point it is looking like skip it unless I hear something new!!!

Old 07-27-2009, 10:21 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,417,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post

ASpilot2be... so you get it from Haines to Anchorage almost? How bout lower in Canada?
Correct. I beleive that the farther South you go, the better the reception gets. I am not 100% on that though.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:26 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,545,876 times
Quote:
- did you try onstar Sat phone at all???
No, we didn't have it. I was just figuring based on Sirius reception. Out of curiosity, I checked Onstar's coverage map and it looks like it pretty spotty once you get past Prince George. You don't pick up full coverage again until you get close to Tok. IMHO, there's no coverage where you're most likely to need it. Where spotty coverage exists, it likely as easy to get conventional forms of help.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:55 AM

I apprecitate the answer thanks..

that is what I was thinking ,,, I sure I will be fine even though a lone woman with a dog.. got enough experiece it will happen the way it was supposed to!!!!!

Thanks you saved me $$

Old 07-29-2009, 11:37 AM

7,506 posts, read 5,753,469 times
Quote:
I apprecitate the answer thanks..

that is what I was thinking ,,, I sure I will be fine even though a lone woman with a dog.. got enough experiece it will happen the way it was supposed to!!!!!

Thanks you saved me $$
We had it when we came up from Seattle and the reception stopped once we hit Haines for the drive to Wasilla. It was a waste of cash. Onstar doesn't work either.

You will not be bored to much. The road is long but never lifeless.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:52 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,488,294 times
Default canada cell phones

Cell phones in Canada seem to work by a different system than the ones in the US. I have Verizon service which works in Haines (and ONLY in Haines townsite, not up the road) but it doesn't work at all in Canada, even in areas where plenty of people have cell phones.

We had a borrowed Sirius radio setup (magnetic flat patch antenna stuck to the roof) which worked almost all the way up to Anchorage on a roadtrip. It took a LONG time to acquire a signal in some spots, you might not have the patience. Folks with the permanent "mushroom" type antennas seem to have much better luck in the fringe coverage areas.

Best bet is probably to get a car stereo that has an Ipod jack or buy one of the adaptors.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:56 AM

No Verizon in Canada crap!! Figured it would be a little more spotty than here - which here is not so good - it doesn't work at my house doesn't work allot of places but usually works on main roads..

Well I will see - leave tomarrow night skipped the onstar skipped the XM

Ya know silence is good sometimes!!!

Thanks for the responses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska