Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 03:01 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,945,470 times

Advertisements

Hey there!

My fiance and I are getting married next July and are researching a honeymoon in Alaska -- not a cruise. We will probably buy a travel book, but I am also open to advice from locals and people that have been there on things we must see and do. We are really excited!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 03:46 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,545,876 times
There are at least two trips you can do. One would be to take an Alaska Marine Highway ferry and see SE Alaska, spending time in each port. You can add a float plane trip out to a USFS cabin or remote lodge too. The other trip would be to fly into Anchorage, rent a car and drive through central Alaska, seeing the sights. Each trip could last a couple of weeks, so it's unlikely you could do both. If it was me, I'd do the second trip, but that's because I live in SE Alaska.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:00 PM

635 posts, read 1,655,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Hey there!

My fiance and I are getting married next July and are researching a honeymoon in Alaska -- not a cruise. We will probably buy a travel book, but I am also open to advice from locals and people that have been there on things we must see and do. We are really excited!
Ok...I'm not from Alaska but I have a few romantic ideas. Get a cabin on a lake (with running water) yea yea it should be a given but not in Alaska. Get a private charter plane to view the Alaskan scenery from the air. I know not many details but I thought the big idea was nice. I have seen lots of cabin rentals for vacationers in the summer time.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:09 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,654,362 times
Quote:
Hey there!

Well, you do sound at least a little bit adventurous... and if that is true, there are some things to consider. One is that it cost a lot of money to come to Alaska, and it is too much money to then look at the stuff in Alaska that isn't any different than where you live! Given you are apparently from Colorado, which is scenic enough all by itself... don't come to Alaska just to look at fabulous scenery!

Instead, come to Alaska to see what is different. See things you can't find anywhere else in the US.

Figure out how to spend a couple weeks in Bethel, Kotzebue or Barrow. See people and a way of life that are totally different than anything in Colorado. Have a *real* adventure!

Of course if I've under estimated your capabilities and capacity for adventure... skip those big tourist traps :-) Find a way to visit a small village. Point Lay, Point Hope, Buckland, Elim, White Mountain, Kipnuk, Kwigillingok, Eek, Aniak, McGrath, Greyling, Ruby, Anaktuvik, Tanana, Rampart... Alaska has many dozens of places where a two week stay would put you into an almost exclusive class of Lower-48 resident!

Old 08-06-2009, 06:34 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,736,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Well, you do sound at least a little bit adventurous... and if that is true, there are some things to consider. One is that it cost a lot of money to come to Alaska, and it is too much money to then look at the stuff in Alaska that isn't any different than where you live! Given you are apparently from Colorado, which is scenic enough all by itself... don't come to Alaska just to look at fabulous scenery!

Instead, come to Alaska to see what is different. See things you can't find anywhere else in the US.

Figure out how to spend a couple weeks in Bethel, Kotzebue or Barrow. See people and a way of life that are totally different than anything in Colorado. Have a *real* adventure!

Of course if I've under estimated your capabilities and capacity for adventure... skip those big tourist traps :-) Find a way to visit a small village. Point Lay, Point Hope, Buckland, Elim, White Mountain, Kipnuk, Kwigillingok, Eek, Aniak, McGrath, Greyling, Ruby, Anaktuvik, Tanana, Rampart... Alaska has many dozens of places where a two week stay would put you into an almost exclusive class of Lower-48 resident!
rep'd ya Floyd on this advise!! wonderful as most just "look" and that is mostly in their backyards!!!

Old 08-06-2009, 06:58 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,437,042 times
Quote:
Hey there!

Sadie Cove, outside of Anchorage is beautiful. You would need to book ahead. Pricey but well worth it. Cabins, beach, delicious food.

Alaska's Sadie Cove Wilderness Lodge, Kachemak Bay Eco-lodge, Homer, Alaska, lodging, accommodations, sea kayaking, hiking, Seldovia, B & B, bed and breakfast, hotels, halibut charters, salmon fishing, Halibut Cove, wildlife photography, bear viewing

Old 08-07-2009, 05:21 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
If you're wanting a romantic honeymoon type of place, you really can't beat a floathouse in SE. The twilights are really long that time of year.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:52 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,945,470 times
Wow.....gorgeous pictures! Thanks everyone for the advice so far. Keep it coming!!

Old 08-08-2009, 12:12 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,023,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Instead, come to Alaska to see what is different. See things you can't find anywhere else in the US... Alaska has many dozens of places where a two week stay would put you into an almost exclusive class of Lower-48 resident!
I think this is an excellent idea. Problem is Alaska is so large and offers so many of this kind, we could literally discuss this until your actual wedding next July! However, all of the suggestions given so far are good ones. My two cents would be to do some research and book one of those remote "Fly-in" hiking/camping trips to a pristine wilderness area such as Gates of the Arctic or ANWR. Those happen to be on my list as well.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:11 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,832 times
You must!

1. Glacier hiking on Matanuska Glacier

2. Hike to Summit Lake in Hatchers Pass

You don't need a tour guide for either. They are easy to reach from Anchorage. At Matanuska Glacier, you can hike without a guide on the actual glacier, the sign warns you against this, but I've done it many times with no gear...take your time, watch for openings in the ice and ALWAYS make sure you can get back before you attempt sliding down a steep part or jumping across a crevasse. There are many hikes around the Hatchers Pass area, but the one to Summit Lake is my favorite. You will be amazed by the scenery and the elevation...you can hike further up along the ridge of the mountain. The glacier costs $15 per person to drive through and Hatchers Pass is free.

I'd actually recommend taking a cruise as well....the cruise itself is beautiful....you will pay $100-$150 for only a day cruise with a light meal...for $350-$400 you can take a full cruise and enjoy the beautiful scenery where there are no roads. Most of the cities they visit are a long drive/ferry ride from Anchorage, so it also shows you those for a cheap price. I'm a local and I recommend it. I wouldn't pay for any of the tours, I'd save that money for when you travel on your own around Alaska. Just walk around the cities...in Juneau you can spend $6 for a bus ride to Mendenhall Glacier, which is beautiful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska