Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 02:54 AM

8 posts, read 22,145 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are desperately looking for a place in rural Alaska to live in. With only enough money for necessities we are hoping it's for free. We are hoping to homestead and raise a family. We hope, really, really hope someone is willing to let us move into their land..if you have a large amount of land. We are planning on building a small natural home. For more info please contact me. Thank you for reading this.

Laurel

Last edited by iampneuma; 01-21-2010 at 03:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 03:30 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
Why should anyone in their right mind let you homestead on their land for FREE ! When you start starving or run out of clean clothes do you expect free food and laundry service too.
You need to start living in the real world. Go to freaking work and earn your own land. Crikey and I thought I've heard it all then I see this post.
Oh by the way welcome to the forum !

Old 01-21-2010, 03:51 AM

Rickers, thank you for the welcome. Well, we really have thought about all this. We thought of everything really, and no we won't expect someone to give us food, or clean our laundry. We don't hate work, life is work.. and it should be done joyfully, doing things we love. We plan on growing our own food (potatoes,carrots, anything possible), washing our own clothes by hand (we don't really plan on having electricity, unless it comes from solar panels we put up, but with what money? Plus, not having a washer or dryer already, and having lived in another country when younger were we washed clothes by hand has taught me enough, I think. Plus I also wash all dishes by hand since the dishwasher uses too much electricity for us..and is no big deal, I enjoy it.) Yes we are poor, but we are not dumb enough to not know how to survive, or at least to learn how to NOW. We are thinking of making our home of either straw bale or cob, are reading a lot about everything pertaining to that life. You might think how we might freeze to death, but a wooden stove, a fireplace, and a good plan is the answer...we have done our study. There's still much to learn about this type of life, and we are so willing. So anyone, please consider. If you'd like we can pay a fee at first..though we don't have much. Anymore questions? I'm willing to answer..and I don't mind. Thank you.

Last edited by iampneuma; 01-21-2010 at 04:02 AM..

Old 01-21-2010, 04:08 AM
gks

3 posts, read 6,245 times
are you kiddin' us???

Old 01-21-2010, 04:22 AM
gks

3 posts, read 6,245 times
gotta be a dem! on crack - everyone's moving outside! stay out!!!
are u sure you're not from mexi-fornia!
"home of either straw bale or cob" - think you must have smoked too much "straw" and ate too much "cobb" salad!
it's 37 below right now!, better fire up that "wooden stove" to heat up the straw/cob house.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:48 AM

"The thick walls provided excellent thermal mass which was easy to keep warm in winter and cool in summer."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cob_(material)

Old 01-21-2010, 07:16 AM

310 posts, read 777,860 times
While you are at it, I need another car. I was thinking a 1969 vette. Fathom Green with a white interior. Don't wory, I will do all the work. Oh yea, make sure it has had a recent frame up restoration, it is 41 years old you know. I will do all of the steering left and the steering right. I will do all the clutch work, you know pushing in and letting out, you'll need to make sure it's a stick. I will do all of the looking in the mirrors, turn signals up and down. I will gas it up, I'll need your credit card for gas, munchies, maintenance stuff, etc.

I will keep it washed, I will have to have it hand washed because of the rag top. Did I mention it needs to be a rag top? Dont wory, I know having it hand washed every week can be expensive and my finances wont allow it but I will have your card so I will be ok.

I have driven before so I know all of the work involved and I am willing to do it. It will be time consuming but I will manage.

So I will need you to form a line over here, a straight line, over here to the right and I will let you know which one of you can help me out.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:48 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Well I admire your gumption but what can you offer in trade? I mean realistically, free vs trade is an easy one. do you have skills that you could provide to the land owner or other knowledge base that would be helpful.

2nd point I hope that you are not planning this for winter as it is very cold and people who live in Florida may dream about a plan but in winter it is dangerous. Even the engineers only work outside with preparation, something that sounds in short supply for you.

I would reconsider putting your dreams second and your plans first with barter potential and then approaching a land owner once you are already up here. Though certainly possible, the web is a risky place and you or your generous (requested) donor as either of you could be a prisoner in Texas with 4 toes on both feet for all any one knows. No offense intended........Just sayin......=)

Old 01-21-2010, 07:56 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
How do you plan on getting to Alaska, its not cheap to fly or drive? You do realise that it can easily get to -40F during the winter? You need to seriously rethink your plan.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:36 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iampneuma View Post
With only enough money for necessities we are hoping it's for free. We are hoping to homestead and raise a family. Laurel
I really would advise against starting a family until you are financially stable enough so that you can raise the child or children right. Just because you don't mind facing a very rough life in rural Alaska living with just basic necessities why put babies through that ? The last I heard rural Alaska wasn't a big wheat or corn producing state so you may have to have the straw bales or tons of corncobs shipped in. I guess you want that free too.
You may want to join a hippie commune in Oregon or somewhere, that may work out better for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska