Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 12:08 PM

639 posts, read 1,915,506 times

Advertisements

I didn't see where anyone else had mentioned this so I thought I would. If your planning on driving the Steese Hwy the last gas station is in Fox at the general store. The Steese Roadhouse is no longer open so there is no gas in the town of Central as they say in the Milepost. There is a gas station in Circle but I am not sure of the hours or days of operation and that is 30+ miles from Central. So if your going to be doing some sightseeing or whatever out that way please remember you need to fill up before you leave and if your doing a good bit of riding on depending on your gas mileage you may want to bring a gas can with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 06:55 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Kinda like the old days when you drove to Fairbanks from Anchorage, you had to go up though Glennallen and up around, lots of times during the winter, the gas stations closed down so you always filled up before you left and carried an extra can of Gas. Now there are stations pretty often along the way.

They even used to have the emergency shacks up into the late 1960's until they started getting vandalized, I think there is still one up on Eagle Summit... but it was in pretty sad shape the last time I saw it a few years ago.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:00 PM

191 posts, read 360,435 times
well ugggh, that must mean that nobody has bought or renovated Circle Hot Springs.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:58 PM

I don't think that the hot springs is going to be there for many more years. The main building is full of black mold and parts are falling in. Most of the outside buildings are just caving in junk. The pool was being fairly kept up but it seems that has stopped as well. From what we were told the main building needs to just be tore down.

The Roadhouse is gone,the school has closed there isn't anything to draw in people especially people with kids. It seems more are moving out since the school is gone.

So there is no gas,no place to stop and grab a bite and chat with the locals. I just don't know why anyone will want to go up there now. Some people there are great and but for the most part most don't care that all the stuff is closed they're happy to do without.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:57 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,901,981 times
Ohhhh wonder what they'll do for the Yukon Quest?

Old 05-20-2010, 07:29 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Gold mining. Still a lot reasons to go up to Central. Just got to be sure to take extra gas with you.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:30 AM

863 posts, read 2,076,829 times
I really like the Steese, at least as far as Central. It's too bad the roadhouse there shut down - it seems like a somewhat surprizingly nice little town, like somebody around there actually cares... Oh well, I go up there for the hiking around Eagle Summit anyway. Besides, most cars can get from Fox to Central and back on a tank of gas.

And yes the station in Circle was open when I was there in late afternoon on a Sunday (I think) a few weeks ago. Didn't notice the prices (my truck's got a big tank). Be aware the road deteriorates between Central and Circle, though it should be driveable in anything if you're slow and careful.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:40 AM

100 posts, read 223,949 times
[quote=megensmom;14255551]I don't think that the hot springs is going to be there for many more years. The main building is full of black mold and parts are falling in. Most of the outside buildings are just caving in junk. The pool was being fairly kept up but it seems that has stopped as well. From what we were told the main building needs to just be tore down.

So sorry to hear that. That was my first job in Alaska almost 40 years ago. The hotel had gone through some pretty lazy managers at that point. I ended up working at several mining camps and filling in once in a while at the Central roadhouse.
Several years ago I heard someone had bought the hotel at the hot springs and was doing some work on it, sadly guess that wasn't very true?
Anyone know how Eagle has recovered from the floods last spring?
Nan

Old 05-20-2010, 09:14 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
I really like the Steese, at least as far as Central. It's too bad the roadhouse there shut down - it seems like a somewhat surprizingly nice little town, like somebody around there actually cares... Oh well, I go up there for the hiking around Eagle Summit anyway. Besides, most cars can get from Fox to Central and back on a tank of gas.

And yes the station in Circle was open when I was there in late afternoon on a Sunday (I think) a few weeks ago. Didn't notice the prices (my truck's got a big tank). Be aware the road deteriorates between Central and Circle, though it should be driveable in anything if you're slow and careful.
I think it may be back on line in a few years, some people I know are looking at buying it. They want to use the springs for a place like Chena Hots Springs and also use the hot water for the same power turbines for creating Electricity as Chena has, which is getting ready to put another bunch of units there for an output of around six Megs, which would put a good dent into the Golden Valley power grid, which is going to be expanding out to there shortly.

Will be interesting to see what happens. Everyone wants green, they just don't want it in their yards, so the folks at Circle may be back into the tourist big time shortly.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:00 PM

You better know where your panning at if you go up there and plan on just stopping and panning or else you may find yourself in trouble. There are very few spots where you can just stop and pan most is private land and people get a little testy about someone on their land. If you can get permission to go onto someones place then you could do pretty well as I have heard many miners there talking about the amount they're finding.

There have been rumors of people going to buy the hot springs for years. A few have tried to purchase it but for whatever reason the deal didn't go through. I've heard rumors that the price changes once someone is really interested or there are other strange terms put into the deal and the buyers then back out. It would be nice to see the place open back up but I wouldn't bet on it. For the most part everything would need to be dozed and then all rebuilt.

I agree that for the most part fill up in Fox and your good to go. But I was posting more for the tourists that may be stopping by the site and also to let people know that haven't heard yet. Its good to know that the station in Circle was open,I wondered about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska