Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 11:15 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It is tough to compare Orlando and Albany due to Albany being much older in terms of growth, Orlando is much bigger land wise than Albany to the point that Colonie and say Guilderland would have to be in eluded/annexed into the city of Albany and Albany in turn is more dense.
If you compare the greater Albany area with the greater Orlando area, they are very similar in many ways. Not identical, but there are a number of parallels.

Both have defined city centers with office campuses in outer lying suburbs. Both have a high concentration of suburban areas in relation to true urban areas. Both have similar socio-economic climates. Both have large state university campuses as well as a number of other colleges and universities.

I've lived in the Hartford, CT area, the Albany area, the Syracuse area, central NJ, and Orlando, and of all of them, the Albany area and the Orlando area are the two with the highest number of similarities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 12:23 PM

93,236 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If you compare the greater Albany area with the greater Orlando area, they are very similar in many ways. Not identical, but there are a number of parallels.

Both have defined city centers with office campuses in outer lying suburbs. Both have a high concentration of suburban areas in relation to true urban areas. Both have similar socio-economic climates. Both have large state university campuses as well as a number of other colleges and universities.

I've lived in the Hartford, CT area, the Albany area, the Syracuse area, central NJ, and Orlando, and of all of them, the Albany area and the Orlando area are the two with the highest number of similarities.
I agree. I was talking in terms of the cities themselves.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:25 AM

2 posts, read 6,336 times
Default Reverse move

We are moving from Orlando to the NE. I have lots of choices. My husband's territory is NY NJ DE RI NH NJ CT MA VT

My husband wants to be w/in 1- 1 1/2 hours by train or car from NYC.

We have young children so I want good public schools and a safe place. CT would be great, but don't feel we can afford it. The kids and I want NH but that doesn't meet the 60-90 minute requirement for my husband.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Old 08-08-2011, 07:10 AM

93,236 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelle45 View Post
We are moving from Orlando to the NE. I have lots of choices. My husband's territory is NY NJ DE RI NH NJ CT MA VT

My husband wants to be w/in 1- 1 1/2 hours by train or car from NYC.

We have young children so I want good public schools and a safe place. CT would be great, but don't feel we can afford it. The kids and I want NH but that doesn't meet the 60-90 minute requirement for my husband.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Perhaps Putnum County, southern Orange County(Monroe-Woodbury SD), parts of Duchess County(Arlington, Spackenkill, Rhinebeck, etc.) and maybe parts of Rockland County(Nyack, Clarkstown SD, Nanuet, Pearl River, etc.).

What is your budget?

Does he have to be that close to NYC?

Old 08-21-2011, 11:49 AM

91 posts, read 119,744 times
Ellwood: I am glad that you were able to move back to NYC. I vacation in NYC every 8 months. I love Chicago, reside in downtown for 22 yrs, but after spending 61 years in Chicago, would love to retire in NYC. What advise can you give me as I realize that insiders have access to the ins and outs more so? Thank you

Old 08-24-2011, 12:37 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,658,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pajones3 View Post
Ellwood: I am glad that you were able to move back to NYC. I vacation in NYC every 8 months. I love Chicago, reside in downtown for 22 yrs, but after spending 61 years in Chicago, would love to retire in NYC. What advise can you give me as I realize that insiders have access to the ins and outs more so? Thank you
Pajones, we are not in NYC, we are in upstate NY (Saratoga), so can't advise you. You might start a thread under the NYC forum.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:45 AM

175 posts, read 438,045 times
We are originally from Syracuse Ny and lived in southwest Florida for 8 years. Florida is a very transitional place. People move in and move out and from November through May, you have a big population boost of retirees. I did not like living in Florida being a family with small children. Check the median age of where you are looking to live and then expect it to change drastically during "snowbird season". Much of the development is geared to serving the visitors more than the residents. I found it limiting for our children and the school systems have no money. There are many wonderful teachers but many leave due to low pay and then supplementing their classroom supplies and books from their own pocket. We have moved to North Va and love being away from Florida. I really missed the 4 seasons, the greenery and parks and nature.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:50 PM

205 posts, read 389,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherm941 View Post
We are originally from Syracuse Ny and lived in southwest Florida for 8 years. Florida is a very transitional place. People move in and move out and from November through May, you have a big population boost of retirees. I did not like living in Florida being a family with small children. Check the median age of where you are looking to live and then expect it to change drastically during "snowbird season". Much of the development is geared to serving the visitors more than the residents. I found it limiting for our children and the school systems have no money. There are many wonderful teachers but many leave due to low pay and then supplementing their classroom supplies and books from their own pocket. We have moved to North Va and love being away from Florida. I really missed the 4 seasons, the greenery and parks and nature.
Glad someone else can back up my observations

Old 09-05-2011, 03:31 PM

91 posts, read 119,744 times
I visit NYC every 8 months while on vacation from my job at one of Chicago's main hospitals. What advise on retiring to New York city can any of you New Yorker's provide ? I have resided in down town Chicago for the past 21 years. As my daughter is an attorney supporting herself for years now I am responsible only for myself. Formerly traveled to California then other cities which my younger siblings settled in after college such as Houston, Atlanta and Arkansas. Thank you in advance forany information.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:56 AM

396 posts, read 604,451 times
for ME, after visiting FL for some 20 visits over a 12 year period, it's not for me. Heck, I might go as a far as saying, It's a good place to visit, but not for living. Yes that's my opinion.

We have several friends and family members who have been in many parts of FL, and most would move back, and some have.

The reasons for NOT moving back, is the lack of a good paying job. Money CAN make misery a bit easier to take. Now the jobs some of these folks have a good, none are great, but it beats not having one when you go back home, or realizing, the pay back home is worst then you remembered.

I'm from Amsterdam, NY, but have lived most of my life in Auburn, Maine. I travel from Maine to Florida and many points in-between and can say for ME, when and if I retire it WILL NOT be to FL.

Four Season is just so damn cool. YES, we will get away turning some of the winter months, but where to, I can't say at this time.

NC, SC, AZ, who knows.

Skip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area