Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2022, 11:12 AM

17 posts, read 24,424 times

Advertisements

We are currently live Boston. because housing market is so hot here we are planning to move to upstate New York (closer to Albany)- Clifton Park, Halfmoon, Ballston and Saratoga Springs. there are few cities near Albany with great schools and and house prices are cheaper compared to Boston suburbs. we know that when comparing Boston suburbs and upstate NY the property tax is little hight in NY and health care in better in Massachusetts. we are ok with the weather I think it mostly the same. Other than the above two issues is there anything else we should be worried about moving to update NY and buying a house. Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2022, 11:44 AM

7,362 posts, read 4,142,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhouse86 View Post
We are currently live Boston. because housing market is so hot here we are planning to move to upstate New York (closer to Albany)- Clifton Park, Halfmoon, Ballston and Saratoga Springs. there are few cities near Albany with great schools and and house prices are cheaper compared to Boston suburbs. we know that when comparing Boston suburbs and upstate NY the property tax is little hight in NY and health care in better in Massachusetts. we are ok with the weather I think it mostly the same. Other than the above two issues is there anything else we should be worried about moving to update NY and buying a house. Thank You!
A friend made that move about a decade ago. She grew up in Walpole and moved to Averill Park, NY. I moved from Boston to Westchester NY. I am a born and raised New Yorker so it was no big deal.

The biggest difference is baseball teams! It's Yankee Country. Although New Yorkers don't care as much as Boston.

Other than that - Albany is a little more snowier, not too much of a difference. Albany does have good healthcare - no worries about that. My friend's children made good friends in the Averill Park public schools. They commuted to SUNY Albany and got a fine education for very little money.

The big difference is utilities. It seems like more of suburban Boston has underground power lines. In MA, we never lost electricity. Albany is more rural. The power line are overhead so there is a bigger chance a storm will knock out power. Again, because Albany is more rural, more homes have wells. My friend brought a house with well water that went dry. It cost over $30,000 (about eight years ago) to fix. However, I imagine there are rural homes with well water in MA too.

My friend's Averill Park school taxes have gone up every single year! There are no property tax cap like in MA - no override elections or protections.

What I missed most about Boston was being an hour away from Cape Cod and Craigsville Beach. It such a pretty area!

My MA home sold in 2007 for half a million and now it's worth a million dollars. It's a little cape cod house - nothing special. Crazy, isn't it? I say - go for it!

Old 06-19-2022, 12:53 PM

93,402 posts, read 124,052,832 times
^There is a 2% property tax cap, but it may be overridden: https://www.nyssba.org/clientuploads...ax-Cap-Q&A.pdf

To the OP, I would also look into Niskayuna, Bethlehem(Delmar), Colonie(North Colonie has a little bit better rep, but South Colonie is also good. Loudonville in the North Colonie SD is a high end area), Guilderland, the Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake SD/area(Rexford is a high end area in that SD) and even East Greenbush, among some other area communities. All are good SD’s and personally, Colonie puts you in between all 3 of the main cities. In the case of North Colonie, you are closer to Saratoga Springs, as it is the district below Clifton Park’s Shenendehowa SD(I believe Halfmoon is also primarily in that SD). All of these places have their more affluent areas or are some of the more affluent towns/SD’s in the area.

Is there anything that you prefer in regards to a community/neighborhood?

Old 06-20-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^There is a 2% property tax cap, but it may be overridden: https://www.nyssba.org/clientuploads...ax-Cap-Q&A.pdf

There is a property tax cap, yet "there are a limited number of specific exemptions to the tax cap that school districts may take. They include growth in “brick and mortar” development that increases the value of a school district’s full taxable property, contributions toward employee pensions above a certain amount, expenditures for some court orders, and the local portion of capital expenditures." https://www.nyssba.org/clientuploads...ax-Cap-Q&A.pdf

Whereas in MA, the school taxes are considered part of the property taxes. In MA, a brick and mortar development increases property taxes. In Norwood, the new high school building was on the tax cap ballot for years before it passed.

In NY, the school and property taxes are separate. A school tax increase for new school buildings is not controlled by the tax cap. In some cases, the NY school tax is as much as the property tax.

It's a tiny difference, but it's good to know.

Old 06-20-2022, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
There is a property tax cap, yet "there are a limited number of specific exemptions to the tax cap that school districts may take. They include growth in “brick and mortar” development that increases the value of a school district’s full taxable property, contributions toward employee pensions above a certain amount, expenditures for some court orders, and the local portion of capital expenditures." https://www.nyssba.org/clientuploads...ax-Cap-Q&A.pdf

Whereas in MA, the school taxes are considered part of the property taxes. In MA, a brick and mortar development increases property taxes. In Norwood, the new high school building was on the tax cap ballot for years before it passed.

In NY, the school and property taxes are separate. A school tax increase for new school buildings is not controlled by the tax cap. In some cases, the NY school tax is as much as the property tax.

It's a tiny difference, but it's good to know.
Yes, I didn't want the OP to think that there wasn't anything comparable. Like you said, it is something, but there are loopholes around it.

School taxes are a part of or included in the property taxes in NY when viewing listings, but are paid separately, a you know(but the OP may not know). So OP, when you see this rate for Saratoga County: https://smartasset.com/taxes/new-yor...tax-calculator that includes the school tax. This may explain the population growth in Saratoga County and it doesn't hurt that there is enough industry to help keep the rate relatively lower.

There are also property tax exemptions that could also help: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/exemption/index.htm

I'm still curious as to the type of community the OP is looking for, as they may have more options than they realize in the area.

Old 06-20-2022, 11:54 PM

17 posts, read 24,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Is there anything that you prefer in regards to a community/neighborhood?
We are mainly looking for the below factors

1) Family friendly and safety
2) Good public schools
4) Diversity

Old 06-21-2022, 04:44 AM

Quote:

2) Good public schools
4) Diversity
I would actually look into Niskayuna, Colonie(North and South) and Guilderland. I actually posted prom/dance pictures from Niskayuna and Guilderland in the Upstate diverse places thread that illustrates that there is some degree of diversity in those school districts and that both are highly regarded academically. Niskayuna is one of the more affluent and highly regarded school districts in Upstate NY as well. Both of the big Colonie school districts are as well and are in between the main cities of the metro area. South Colonie historically has been more diverse in terms of degree, but North Colonie has been up there relative to other area suburban school districts.

East Greenbush(south of Troy/east of Albany), the Rotterdam based SD’s(Schalmont and Mohonasen), Shenendehowa(Clifton Park), Scotia-Glenville and Bethlehem are other suburban districts that have become more diverse and fit the other criteria as well.

There is also the wild card of the very diverse K-8th grade Menands School(District), which has been good and allows for their children after 8th grade to have multiple high school options to choose from. It is arguably the most diverse school district in Upstate NY, even if it is really a one school type of district. https://data.nysed.gov/enrollment.ph...d=800000055344
https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000055344
https://www.menands.org/
https://www.menands.org/about-us/
There are some more relatively higher end homes/streets in the western portion of the village around Van Rensselaer Boulevard, with some being in the North Colonie SD.

Saratoga Springs historically on its West and outer SE sides of town is where there has been some cultural diversity and it fits the other criteria. I’d say for school district that is a “city” SD, along with Ithaca City SD, it is one of the better ones in Upstate NY. It(and Ithaca) are really small “cities” that have districts that cover suburban and some rural areas around it like enlarged city school districts you may see in PA.

So, I hope that gives some idea of communities that fit what you are looking for or have those characteristics that appeal to you.

Old 06-21-2022, 08:04 PM

My only advice is stay away from Troy.

Troy has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities.

Old 06-21-2022, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
My only advice is stay away from Troy.

Troy has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities.
It still has its good and bad areas. Not that it is being suggested to the OP, as it looks like they are looking for suburbs, but just to be fair.

Also, what is interesting about Troy is that Troy City SD out of the bigger city urban school districts in the area, it usually performs the best out of the bigger city centers in the area. Lansingburgh SD also covers most of the northern portion of the city, with both SD's also covering areas just outside of the city. Not saying it is great, but it appears to be at least above average in some measures.

The city also has 2 private high school options(LaSalle Institute(becoming co-ed) and Emma Willard(all female)had 3, but Catholic Central is combining with an elementary Catholic school on a campus in Colonie). There is also the Doane Stuart School in nearby Rensselaer.

It also has charter school options for grades K-12 as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-21-2022 at 08:58 PM..

Old 06-24-2022, 07:11 PM

1,213 posts, read 568,437 times
Quote:

2) Good public schools
4) Diversity
You won’t find all 3 together. Not in the capital region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area