Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 09:12 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,751,696 times

Advertisements

Rhode Island school system fires every employee at under performing school.

All educators fired at underperformin... - Google News

OK, OK, it's not quite that straightforward but I thought it's interesting since not
that long ago I proposed that APS convert to a yearly contract employment system
that would allow poor teachers to just not be renewed rather than having to be
fired, a much more difficult matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 11:51 AM

147 posts, read 390,715 times
Mike

You should know better.
Unions Unions Unions
Won't happen because we have to protect our Jobs.
Just **** State Jobs, City Jobs
Off on Paid administrative leave , at least now City employes have to do something, instead of sitting home collecting a check!

Old 05-29-2010, 05:39 PM

210 posts, read 408,342 times
Default teachers reinstated

The board of the Central Falls School District approved an agreement on Tuesday to allow teachers at a troubled high school to keep their jobs after all of them were fired. The 5-to-1 decision ends a turbulent chapter that drew national attention to the impoverished city. The February decision to fire every high school teacher drew praise from President Obama, who cited it as an example of accountability. The teachers’ union and the school district last week agreed to a deal that requires teachers to work a longer day and tutor students.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:10 PM

8 posts, read 14,184 times
As I approach relocation to the area, the few posts in this thread reinforce what I have learned elsewhere, namely that successful education has to start at the community levels and only then can our children thrive.

I do not intend to attack the individuals or the fallacious opinions in this thread, as each is a result of mythology (or politics, although the two are often the same) and reductionism. This said, I will offer a bit of advice, do something about the forms of learning and pedagogy in your community rather than offering baseless and harmful opinions, for such opinions tend to be contagious as they are socially irresponsible.

(Hint, generally speaking, the one factor that we know is most associated with academic achievement is not necessarily teacher quality and, instead, it is the connectedness of community to those schools in the neighboring areas.)

Old 06-01-2010, 04:39 AM

963 posts, read 2,302,934 times
It is sad that so little is said about the responsibility parents have for their children's education. They are the single greatest factor in a child's success or failure. When parents play an active role in the education of their children, both by example and interaction, they can make the critical difference. The proper attitude toward learning and good study habits can be powerfully taught by a good parental example. Teachers should not be asked to shoulder that burden alone.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:22 PM

599 posts, read 5,731,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post
It is sad that so little is said about the responsibility parents have for their children's education. They are the single greatest factor in a child's success or failure...
I want to second Design7's statement. Parents are the one and foremost important influencing factor for a child's development - both educational and social.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:56 PM

You guys all are missing the point (or deliberately ignoring it); namely that in many
aspects APS is close to non-functional and needs drastic remedy.

Whining about "parental involvement" will do nothing to cure APS' woes.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:19 PM

8 posts, read 14,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
You guys all are missing the point (or deliberately ignoring it); namely that in many
aspects APS is close to non-functional and needs drastic remedy.

Whining about "parental involvement" will do nothing to cure APS' woes.
I am confused with the logic of this response. In the initial post you offered a possible remedy to the schooling of the children and adolescents in APS. In turn, a couple of others offered another alternative (i.e., focusing on parental involvement). The alternatives offered are not indicative of ignoring the point and, rather, offering something different.

I offered yet another alternative, one that is actually supported by research (as opposed to firing teachers). In particular, my posit encouraged individuals like yourself to stop talking about the shortcomings of the APS from the periphery and, instead, get involved in the education in more constructive ways. In fact, I inferred that you are currently involved in the APS (as are all members of the community) and pronouncing casual recommendations is the antithesis of helping an admittedly struggling school system.

As for the parental involvement recommendations, while noble and more helpful than firing teachers, its not necessarily the most important variable associated with student learning and achievement. There are many successful students sans constructive parental involvement, but there are very few successful students in districts without community involvement and support (broadly speaking).

The types of school districts and communities I refer to herein are admittedly rare. This said, they are as rare as they are important and possible.

Bottom line, there is a high correlation between systemic school failure and communities with beliefs and behaviors that predicate failure.

On a micro-level, there is a very famous and dated study that I adduce. In this study teacher one was told that her students were all honor students. Teacher two was told that her students ranged from remedial to below average. Truth be told, each class was within the normal range. Now, at year's end how do you think that the students' tested? Students in classroom one tested like honors students and students in classroom two tested below average (again, although both were baselined as average).

To reiterate my point in my initial post and again here, have some optimism about the potential of students and their teachers -- as opposed to sponsoring the ideas of posturing politicians -- and you will see the results you yearn. Otherwise, your talk harms more than it helps.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by existentialmelt View Post
I am confused with the logic of this response.
On a micro-level, there is a very famous and dated study that I adduce. In this study teacher one was told that her students were all honor students. Teacher two was told that her students ranged from remedial to below average. Truth be told, each class was within the normal range. Now, at year's end how do you think that the students' tested? Students in classroom one tested like honors students and students in classroom two tested below average (again, although both were baselined as average).

To reiterate my point in my initial post and again here, have some optimism about the potential of students and their teachers -- as opposed to sponsoring the ideas of posturing politicians -- and you will see the results you yearn. Otherwise, your talk harms more than it helps.
And what does this have to do with APS' notorious failures which is what this
thread was addressing?

Nada...

Old 06-01-2010, 10:12 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,451,665 times
It's great to talk about community involvement, but remember that a large and important part of the community are the parents whose children either attend or do not attend APS schools.
As a parent who is actively involved in her son's education and has been almost forced to become involved with APS, I am relieved that as of August when our son begins at a state charter school, we will end our close relationship with APS, and hope that it's a permanent break up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque