Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 07:34 AM

176 posts, read 324,981 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My son and I have been to ABQ (and travelled around NM) several times. An eventual move to ABQ has always been in the back of my mind. My son really likes it, too.

We live about 11 miles from Washington, DC, about 45 minutes from Baltimore (crime is definitely not new to us). One thing that worries me are the stories I have read about the ABQ public school system.

If you could only give one piece of advice to somebody planning on relocating to ABQ, what would it be?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 08:30 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akio View Post
If you could only give one piece of advice to somebody planning on relocating to ABQ, what would it be?
Open your eyes and observe....

Old 07-24-2012, 08:47 AM

10,751 posts, read 23,828,256 times
Do your homework. Like any large city, some school districts are better than others. What parts of ABQ did you like?

Old 07-24-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Do your homework. Like any large city, some school districts are better than others. What parts of ABQ did you like?
Old town, Nob Hill, but to live..NE Heights.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Open your eyes and observe....
That's one of my favorite things to do

Old 07-24-2012, 09:17 AM

10,751 posts, read 23,828,256 times
Quote:
Old town, Nob Hill, but to live..NE Heights.
NE Heights, good choice (my current stomping grounds). The more NE you are, the better it gets. It's a pricier part of ABQ, but coming from DC (and myself from Boston) it's comparatively very affordable. I don't have kids, but one of my neighbors is fairly satisfied with La Cueva High School in which her kids attend. Just do some research. If you can afford to send your kid to private school even better.

Quote:
That's one of my favorite things to do
They say you learn to stretch your eyes when in New Mexico.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
NE Heights, good choice (my current stomping grounds). The more NE you are, the better it gets. It's a pricier part of ABQ, but coming from DC (and myself from Boston) it's comparatively very affordable. I don't have kids, but one of my neighbors is fairly satisfied with La Cueva High School in which her kids attend. Just do some research. If you can afford to send your kid to private school even better.

They say you learn to stretch your eyes when in New Mexico.
My son and I actually went to visit La Cueva in April. I wanted to check out the neighborhood, and we ended up staying to watching a softball game.

And yes...I'm sure a lot of places are more affordable than the DMV area. If you don't mind my asking, what prompted yoru move to ABQ? How long have youlived there?

Old 07-24-2012, 02:13 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
All NE heights locations are not equal especially considering about half the city qualifies as the Northeast Heights. So don't sign a lease on an unseen property/neighborhood just because the street address ends in NE.

My advice is choose a neighborhood based on the neighborhood that appeals to you, not just the reputation of a 'quadrant'. Every 'quad' has good 'hoods.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:47 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,742,942 times
What is the DMV area?

Old 07-24-2012, 07:04 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
ABQConvict is correct.

Northeast Heights Albuquerque (NE Heights) generally includes the communities of Albuquerque Meadows, Alta Monte, Alvarado Park, Bel-Air, Big Bend, Candelmen, Chelwood Vista, Cibola Addition, Eastrange – Piedra Vista, Cielito Lindo, Conchas Park, Crestview Heights, Eldorado Park, Eldorado Heights, Embudo Canyon, Enchanted Park, Fairgrounds, Fair Heights, Fair West, Glenwood Hills South, Casa Grande, Glenwood Hills, Hodgin, Hoffmantown, Holiday Park, Indian Moon, Inez, Jackson Area, Jerry Cline Park, Kachina Hills, La Mesa, La Sala Grande, Las Altos, Loma Del Rey, Manzano Manor, Mark Twain, Matheson Park, McKinley, Mesa Village, Montgomery Heights, Montgomery Park, Mossman, Near Heights, North Easterns, Northeast Heights, Onate, Princess Jeanne, Quail Ridge, Quigley Park, San Gabriel, Sandia High School Area, Sandia High School Area, Shadow Hills, Snow Heights, Sombra Del Monte, South Los Altos, Stardust Skies Park, Supper Rock, Towne Park, Uptown, Vista Del Mundo and Zuni.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque