Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 01:14 AM

11 posts, read 27,687 times

Advertisements

What's the deal in New Mexico with Green Chili? It's certainly not the hottest pepper I've tasted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 01:41 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billhemmer View Post
What's the deal in New Mexico with Green Chili? It's certainly not the hottest pepper I've tasted.
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha,ha, ha, ha, ha. You just didn't get the really hot ones. Yes there are hotter peppers in the world, but Hatch Green Chilies come in a variety of temps. But it's not necessarily the heat as much as the taste, and in the case of the whole or chopped chili, also the texture. There is no other chili that compares in taste and texture to either the green or the red. And you can do so much with them in cooking.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha,ha, ha, ha, ha. You just didn't get the really hot ones. Yes there are hotter peppers in the world, but Hatch Green Chilies come in a variety of temps. But it's not necessarily the heat as much as the taste, and in the case of the whole or chopped chili, also the texture. There is no other chili that compares in taste and texture to either the green or the red. And you can do so much with them in cooking.
I think it is texture more than anything else.

Nita

Old 07-19-2010, 06:21 AM

433 posts, read 1,143,068 times
I think the most other chiles are bland in comparison. I especially love a nice hot Hatch green chile. When I lived in Illinois my parents would ship them to us as an anniversary gift. Then I would fire up the grill and roast them. It was a process but I sure enjoyed the chiles in my cooking. I also grew big Jims when I lived in Illinois and they were good. My brother-in-law(in Illinois) grew the hottest chiles I ever had. They had a shared garden with four other families. I had looked everywhere near where I lived to find chile plants and never found them. I couldn't believe that he found these. He thought they were bell peppers and when he found out they weren't he said I could have them all. hehe They cross pollinated with the habaneros, serranos, and jalapenos that another family grew. When I roasted, peeled, and seeded them I found out how hot they were. Within 5 minutes my hands were on fire. I put gloves on but it was too late. My hubby loved them as they were. I had to cut them with some milder ones. But for the most part there is nothing like Hatch green chiles for flavor. Try and anaheim and a New Mexico chile side by side and you will know what I mean.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:43 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billhemmer View Post
Given that there are several varieties of NM green chile, you probably had the mild commercial NuMex 6-4.

Try some Barker's--that will knock your head off. Your eyes will water and your nose will run.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:29 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,081,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billhemmer
... Green Chili? ... not the hottest pepper ...
The point about Green Chile is the flavor.
The heat is just a bonus and complements the flavor.

It's like saying :
"What's the deal with this 25-year-old Macallan?"
"It's certainly not the strongest whiskey I've tasted."

Like whiskey, real affectionados can tell where the Chile was grown.

P.S. It is green chile.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
The point about Green Chili is the flavor.
The heat is just a bonus and complements the flavor.
Obviously, quite a few don't like that "bonus heat" because most of the restaurant fare here uses mild green chile....and most of the green chile for sale here is labeled "mild."

Maybe other places use some of the hotter varieties, but I have yet to find any place here that does.

Bland and boring food.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:11 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Obviously, quite a few don't like that "bonus heat" because most of the restaurant fare here uses mild green chile....and most of the green chile for sale here is labeled "mild."

Maybe other places use some of the hotter varieties, but I have yet to find any place here that does.

Bland and boring food.
that is one of the things that bothered me, no real hot stuff when we would go out. We had friends in NM that would share with us each year. We would get or actually they would, about 25 or 30 lbs and we would split, only problem, they didn't like any heat. These are the friends that will probably bring us some in about a month, on their way to KY. Again, the problem: they will bring some to us and some to their daughter in KY, none will be hot.

Heck we like everything with a kick.

Nita

Old 07-19-2010, 01:24 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post

Bland and boring food.
OMG, , Sadies uses the hot ones.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
that is one of the things that bothered me, no real hot stuff when we would go out. We had friends in NM that would share with us each year. We would get or actually they would, about 25 or 30 lbs and we would split, only problem, they didn't like any heat. These are the friends that will probably bring us some in about a month, on their way to KY. Again, the problem: they will bring some to us and some to their daughter in KY, none will be hot.

Heck we like everything with a kick.

Nita
So this is common all over the state, huh?

One thing you can do is get some of the Bueno Foods frozen chopped green chile and mix the extra hot with some of your mild chile! That's what I did when I was splitting with others who didn't want any fire.

I also sometimes added fresh chopped serrano or jals!

When I grew my own, I usually had both mild 6-4 and Sandias, which are a medium heat. I'd have Big Jims, too, but those were for

I tried Barker's too, but I don't really like it. It's so hot that I was chasing it with a glass of milk--and that's from a longtime chilehead! It's just rank-tasting. It's best as a red powder!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
View detailed profiles of: