Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 02:59 PM

35 posts, read 72,650 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I have recently tied up some loose ends that kept us in Los Angeles. Now we're looking seriously at relocating to the ABQ area, but as I trawl job websites, listings only give half of the story...

I wanted to get an idea what the job situation is like in ABQ from ground level. I've heard bad stories about the economy, but the unemployment numbers don't look too bad to an outsider. I've also heard from some who say it's easy to find work around ABQ. Any thoughts from people in ABQ looking for work?

And just for reference, I have a 4 year degree, have experience as a filmmaker, writer, and working for a think tank... Generally a jack-of-all-trades... Sound employable in the ABQ market?

Many thanks for any views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 03:59 PM

366 posts, read 1,248,449 times
There is a fairly decent film industry here, but I'd imagine it's hard to crack into unless you know people. Albuquerque in general has a locals first mentality. I'd try to do some networking before you move. If you have any friends or even friends of friends working in the industry here, try to get in touch with them through linkedin or facebook.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:43 PM

79 posts, read 231,113 times
I moved to Albuquerque from Las Cruces, NM in June 2009. It wasn't the wisest idea, but I moved without a job, though my fiancé was making more than I when we left to move here; she was a student employee for Los Alamos National Labs and had been doing such since 2005 (??) after she'd graduated high school.

We took keys to a rental home on June 16th, I had $7000 saved. I probably could have filed for unemployment, even though I'd resigned, due to work environment at my previous employer, but opted to suck it up (pride) and get a job the old-fashioned way. I checked, and checked, and checked for jobs within my field. Surely someone with a BS in Biology with 6 years work experience could find something in/around Albuquerque biologically oriented without a desire to go into the medical field.

My degree and experience did not qualify me to work for a large chain pet store on the premise that I did not know their policies, but qualified for the position I'd applied for with flying colors otherwise. They were willing to pay me $9/hr for a lower managerial position, not what I had applied for, and only work me part-time -- I left my former job making $18/hr and was full-time salaried. This was early Sept (interview)/mid Oct 09 (offer). I was willing to accept this offer as it had been my only offer at a job and my 3rd interview since moving. I only received this offer after calling, and not getting my calls returned, and then finally walking into this establishment for an imformal encounter though I was dressed for success. Side note...My first interview came with the NM State Police as an entry-level forensic lab tech and my 2nd was with Lovelace Repsiratory Research Institute.

I said I'd have to think about the offer and was instructed to get back with the GM by Tuesday of the next week. That Friday I received a phonecall from an HR rep from Lovelace Resp. Research Inst. with a job offer of just under my entry pay of my previous job in Las Cruces. I was new to this work, had $300 in the bank, and said yes without attempting to negotiate my salary. By Monday I was in new employeee orientation.

Without going into additional personal details (and I won't - trying to move on), I find myself yet again unemployed on July 13th this year. I applied to 3 City of ABQ jobs the week I found myself unemployed again. And then nothing. I searched numerous websites (Bernalillo County jobs, usajobs.gov, monster, career builder, avue digital, State Personeel Office, Valencia County, SAndoval County, Santa Fe County, Coty of Santa Fe, Towns of Moriarty, Los Lunas, Belen, etc.), but hit a stalemate.

After some poking from family members, I finally swallowed my pride and filed for unemployment in mid August. I've been on unemployment since. I've applied to 48 jobs and in order to qualify for my UI benefits I must look for at least 2 jobs a week; I'm at week 10 right now. I just had my first interview since filing for UI this past Monday. I think only got the interview because I physically went in and asked about the status of my application as I'd applied for 2 positions at this establishment back on my 1st week for unemployment claiming (Aug 20!). I've not heard back from the City of ABQ yet regarding jobs I applied to back in July, and have not pestured their HR department due to this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CABQ-Jobs-FAQ
Will I be notified of the status of my application?
Yes, all applicants will be notified either by letter or by phone. If an applicant is not selected for an interview he/she will receive notification by letter. If the applicant is selected for an interview he/she will be contacted by phone.

How long does the hiring process take?
Every effort is made to reach a prompt decision. The length of time depends on the number of applications received for the position and the nature of the position. Normally, a decision will be made between 15 and 45 days after the job advertisement has expired.
Job market is tough right now. From what I've heard from others in my position or that have jobs but are looking for better, not many employers are willing to pay over $10/hr right now AND offer more than part-time.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:39 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,033,861 times
I would transfer from CA if you can. Sony Pictures is here, and so is Reelz Channel. I'm not a film industry expert but NM is the #1 filming location in the country. I moved out here in April without a job, some on this forum called me nuts. I worked temp jobs, and this week started a good job. You won't make CA money, but this is NM. Things worked out for me and I got to collect some unemployment. Moving here was the best thing that I did. Network, volunteer at a Non-Profit keep busy and things will work out for you.

Aloha,
Al

Old 10-22-2010, 12:35 PM

35 posts, read 72,650 times
Thanks for the information. Sounds like ABQ is having the same issues as LA -- just on a smaller scale.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:19 AM

326 posts, read 838,824 times
I haven't had this much ease find a job in all my job searching life!!

It definatly depends on your field. My dad the RN goes to the highest bidder everywhere he lives. Every hospital he applies to offers the most amount of money they can to get him to work for them, he then picks whoever has the best pay, benefits, and hours. (must be nice lol).

I haven't cannot legally apply for jobs in my career yet since I am not lisenced here but oh man I hope the process moves fast because ABQ has a lot more oppertunities over NC.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:42 AM

30,904 posts, read 36,998,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkMagaritas View Post
It definitely depends on your field.
That's what I was thinking.

@HerpsofNM....It sounds like you're looking at a lot of government jobs. Government is in job cutting mode right now and probably will be for at least another year, if not longer.

I've never lived in ABQ...but lived in Tucson, which has a similar job market (Air Force Base & University just like ABQ). Like Tucson, ABQ is not known for having great paying jobs outside the government sector, although I'm sure there are some.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:18 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,688,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
That's what I was thinking.

@HerpsofNM....It sounds like you're looking at a lot of government jobs. Government is in job cutting mode right now and probably will be for at least another year, if not longer.

I've never lived in ABQ...but lived in Tucson, which has a similar job market (Air Force Base & University just like ABQ). Like Tucson, ABQ is not known for having great paying jobs outside the government sector, although I'm sure there are some.
Great points. Health care is also a thriving industry here that pays extremely well.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:38 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,111,364 times
I've been looking into Albuquerque as a place to get resettled, get some college done, and after visiting quite a few times while truck driving, I fell in love with the place.
The trucking gig isn't really taking off due to some accident I got into that blackballed me from getting back in.
Apart from that, I've got experience in private security and just wanted to know what sort of companies exist there and how healthy it is over there.

People are leaving CA for various reasons, but ever since that truck accident, I feel like I've been somewhat imprisoned here.
I currently live in a desert area, but it's quickly being turned into an LA suburb.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:00 AM

350 posts, read 769,261 times
It MOST DEFINITELY depends on your field. Government jobs are definitely hard to come by - one, because they're cutting budgets left and right. And two, because most of the time they advertise those positions because they have to, not because they're looking to actually fill anything. Usually, they've already got someone internally who they're going to transfer over to that particular department. UNM is famous for doing this - it's almost impossible to get a non-academic staff job there, because they just rotate people around on the inside.

But overall, I think you're better off looking for work here than in a major metro. I spent two solid years of semi-unemployment in Chicago recently, but was able to find salaried work almost immediately upon moving back to ABQ. In most non-trade industries (manufacturing, etc.), the talent pool here is not as deep as it might be in larger cities. Keep looking, keep applying, utilize contacts and NETWORK as much as you can. In New Mexico knowing someone is half the battle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque