Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,685 times

Advertisements

Speaking of flat roofs --

Can anyone recommend, or not recommend, local roofing contractors?

I have a flat roof that probably needs to be replaced. I've heard so many horror stories that I literally have no idea if there are any reputable companies in the RR/ABQ area.

Thanks for any names you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 06:35 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,288,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne_RR View Post
Speaking of flat roofs --

Can anyone recommend, or not recommend, local roofing contractors?

Thanks for any names you can provide.

BAC enterprises uses IB Roof System.

IB Roof Systems white roofing membrane reflects 87% of the sun's rays versus only 6% of traditional asphalt roofing systems. This means on an 87 degree day an IB Roof will only be 92 degrees versus 172 degrees from a black roof

Old 12-20-2007, 07:28 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,996,520 times
Pueblo style/Flat roofs: I have a love/hate relationship with ours. I do worry about the roof sometimes, in regard to rainfall. Having said that, many of the home styles that have flat roofs will have other design features that compensate.

We have a Woods Bros. home - one of the nicest features is the enormous amount of light that is let into our home. It would be interesting to see homes advertised with a ratio of sq.ft. of window area/sq.ft. of home. I think many flat roof homes excel in this regard. We rarely have to turn on lights during the day, in any of the rooms. IMO this is a clever design to capitalize on one of the wonderful things NM offers in abundance - sunlight.

Conversely, I have been in far too many pitched-roof homes that can sometimes be dark, and dreary. Newer pitched roof homes seem to have addressed the light factor through good design.

I also prefer the floorplans one commonly finds in pueblo/flat roofed homes, which is why we bought ours. They feel more comfy, somehow.

The biggest problem with flat roofs, IMO, is not rain, but snow. Once it starts to melt, the daily freeze-thaw cycle is what really tears up the roof. Contraction & expansion, over and over. And the water & ice stays up there longer, because with cooler weather it evaporates more slowly. This is why so many people had trouble with their flat roofs last year. Luckily those kind of snowfalls are rare in Albuq. Personally, it was a pain shoveling our roof twice last Dec, but we made it through the winter with minimal problems. Last winter was extremely unusual though, and there are many pitched roofs across the city that experienced problems as well.

A quick-fix for flat roofs with pooling water is to go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy some 1/2 in. or 1/4 in. black, plastic hose. Next time it rains, note where the water pools, and put one end of the hose there, held in place by a brick. Throw the other end over the edge. Do the old gas-syphoning trick - your roof will love you for it.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:58 PM

178 posts, read 801,142 times
Hi. I don't like them either, for the reasons you stated. Much higher outdoor maint. than many people would expect.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:01 PM

55 posts, read 237,989 times
Default Flat Roofs

I like the way they look. HOWEVER, they need to be replaced about every 5 years! That is NOT good!

Old 01-19-2008, 10:55 PM

44 posts, read 172,947 times
Default flat?

I may be wrong, but arent the newer flat roofs actually pitched a bit as well? Theres a 2-3 ffot wall extending above the actual roof, so you cant see it, but its there. Hides all the vents, etc sticking out as well . my place was built in the early 70;s so its actually flat. The solution to leaks? slap the tar on thick until it stops leakinng. lol.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:07 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,996,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NURSEYDUDE View Post
I may be wrong, but arent the newer flat roofs actually pitched a bit as well? Theres a 2-3 ffot wall extending above the actual roof, so you cant see it, but its there. Hides all the vents, etc sticking out as well . my place was built in the early 70;s so its actually flat. The solution to leaks? slap the tar on thick until it stops leakinng. lol.
Yep, that's correct. I don't know what year they started, but they're now required to have some pitch.

As a footnote to my earlier post: There's no question that totally flat roofs require more maintenance. I do most of the maintenance myself, but I could see where some retirees would have trouble keeping up with it. In a way it's good for me though, as I get some exercise and fresh air, and enjoy the great views while I'm working up there. My wife jokes that secretly I love the flat roof - she may be right.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:31 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
5 years is a bit on the obsessive side. I have had one patch (I got a leak because my downspout was clogged with leaves and sticks from an overhanging elm) in 17.5 years.

Great, I'm gonna be knocking on wood all day now :-)

Now, my basement walls on the other hand...

ABQConvict

Old 10-06-2008, 11:22 AM

9 posts, read 15,532 times
I too had bad expriences until I used the coatings from conquest ...you can google them and see ....anyway they come with great warranties and a money back guarantee

Old 10-06-2008, 11:45 AM

658 posts, read 1,335,469 times
Home we're buying in Placitas has a flat pitched roof that is about 15 years old. Inspector told us we should do some repair now, and that in next year or two we should replace. We knew it was original so no suprises. Does anyone know how those white membrane roofs hold up over time? Interesting if you Google Earth Albuquerque and scan in you can see from above there are beginning to be quite a few of them. Looking for feedback from anyone who may have installed one and what results have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque