Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 02:23 PM

5,043 posts, read 7,419,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
In fairness though, a lot of students and employees commute from areas where it probably snowed a lot more. So I'm not sure it was so much the one inch in that part of Albuquerque as the greater amounts of snow in nearby towns.
Yes, that usually is the reason. As a former supervisor used to say when it started snowing during work, "OK, everyone who lives east of Tramway can go home now, the rest have to stay" (she lived east of Tramway, lol).

Still, even though it doesn't snow here that much, you'd think people would be ready with a Plan B for how to get to work when it does, like take the bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 03:56 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,453,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
The area you're looking at is OK but not in the best neighborhood. Rents won't be signicantly more in the areas above, one bedrooms range from $450-$600.
Agreed. I love it here and travel pretty much anywhere in the city without apprehension. But the La Mesa neighborhood is not where you'd want to live if crime is one of your concerns.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:04 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Overnight last night it snowed almost an inch, and the University shut down, LOL. So you wouldn't have had to worry about biking in.

UNM rarely closes for bad weather, or at least it hasn't since I've lived here (moved here 2008). There have been many days where APS was closed and UNM was open. Management at UNM seems to think all students live on campus and can therefore walk to class. There have been days in past winters where my coworkers were driving on ice slicked streets to get to class.
I remember my very first winter in Albuquerque. I woke up one morning to about 4 inches of snow, said, "Oh, cool!", got dressed and walked to campus.

That's strange, the doors on this building are locked and my class starts in five minutes.

Huh, these doors over here are locked, too. Come to think of it, where IS everybody?

Then I joined a huge snowball fight on Johnson Field. Ah, the good old days...

Old 02-27-2015, 07:43 PM

150 posts, read 253,833 times
Congratulations on being accepted to a PhD program at UNM!

As a fellow Californian, you might relate to my top 10 favorite things about Albuquerque, summarized in the following post:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...epreneurs.html

And this thread is so great it actually made me tear up – you owe it to yourself to read this to understand why people move from California and fall in love with New Mexico:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...ge-people.html

If you have lived in a low income part of San Diego, there is nowhere in Albuquerque you would be afraid to bike during the day. I currently split my time between Silicon Valley/San Francisco and Albuquerque, and I think about crime and protecting myself from crime much more often in California than I do in Albuquerque.

Crime data is especially misleading when it comes to New Mexico. The data does *not* indicate that a professional moving to Albuquerque or elsewhere in New Mexico is more likely to experience violent crime than in comparable cities. In fact, the opposite is true.

Let me try to put my law degree to work here to explain why: The statistics are skewed because New Mexico has a disproportionately high proportion of the least significant type of violent crime: aggravated assault, such as a bar brawl where somebody used a bar stool as a weapon. More than any other type of violent crime, aggravated assault is typically avoidable by non-destitute people who want to avoid it. Even if bystanders are not at risk, it still counts as violent crime because it is literally a crime that involves violence. Aggravated assault is especially common in poor rural areas.

By contrast, the terror of urban professionals is robberies (muggings) – a crime where you can be victimized randomly even if you are careful. Looking at Albuquerque specifically, FBI data shows that it is comparable to similar cities in terms of the violent crime that affects urban professionals.

ROBBERY Rankings (per 100,000 per FBI Uniform Crime Report, 2013, most recent available) of comparison cities:

Oakland (1219 robberies per 100,000)
Baltimore (600)
Atlanta (524)
San Francisco (504)
Philadelphia (487)
Houston (454)
Dallas (335)
Las Vegas (271)
Phoenix (216)
ALBUQUERQUE (187)
Denver (174)

The FBI data shows that you are much less to be mugged in Albuquerque than many other very popular comparison cities. You are almost 3 times more likely to be mugged in San Francisco, one of the desirable and economically thriving places on the planet.

Data source: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr..._2013.xls/view

Last edited by Abraxas; 02-27-2015 at 07:59 PM..

Old 02-28-2015, 01:53 PM

19 posts, read 44,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post
Congratulations on being accepted to a PhD program at UNM!

As a fellow Californian, you might relate to my top 10 favorite things about Albuquerque, summarized in the following post:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...epreneurs.html

And this thread is so great it actually made me tear up – you owe it to yourself to read this to understand why people move from California and fall in love with New Mexico:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...ge-people.html

If you have lived in a low income part of San Diego, there is nowhere in Albuquerque you would be afraid to bike during the day. I currently split my time between Silicon Valley/San Francisco and Albuquerque, and I think about crime and protecting myself from crime much more often in California than I do in Albuquerque.

Crime data is especially misleading when it comes to New Mexico. The data does *not* indicate that a professional moving to Albuquerque or elsewhere in New Mexico is more likely to experience violent crime than in comparable cities. In fact, the opposite is true.

Let me try to put my law degree to work here to explain why: The statistics are skewed because New Mexico has a disproportionately high proportion of the least significant type of violent crime: aggravated assault, such as a bar brawl where somebody used a bar stool as a weapon. More than any other type of violent crime, aggravated assault is typically avoidable by non-destitute people who want to avoid it. Even if bystanders are not at risk, it still counts as violent crime because it is literally a crime that involves violence. Aggravated assault is especially common in poor rural areas.

By contrast, the terror of urban professionals is robberies (muggings) – a crime where you can be victimized randomly even if you are careful. Looking at Albuquerque specifically, FBI data shows that it is comparable to similar cities in terms of the violent crime that affects urban professionals.

ROBBERY Rankings (per 100,000 per FBI Uniform Crime Report, 2013, most recent available) of comparison cities:

Oakland (1219 robberies per 100,000)
Baltimore (600)
Atlanta (524)
San Francisco (504)
Philadelphia (487)
Houston (454)
Dallas (335)
Las Vegas (271)
Phoenix (216)
ALBUQUERQUE (187)
Denver (174)

The FBI data shows that you are much less to be mugged in Albuquerque than many other very popular comparison cities. You are almost 3 times more likely to be mugged in San Francisco, one of the desirable and economically thriving places on the planet.

Data source: FBI — Table 8
Very informative post, thank you!

It does make me feel a bit safer about moving to the Albuquerque area, especially since I don't frequent bars, pubs, or clubs at all.

Is there any good fishing in Albuquerque? I know it's a desert town so I really don't expect much, but other than cycling it is the only other sport I really enjoy.

Another question that I have is related to potential part time or secondary employment. That is, Is there by chance a community college located in or around the area as well? I'd love to pick up one or two classes per semester if possible to supplement my income (adjunct work).

Lastly, how would you compare the Albuquerque area to the Tucson area in general? I just heard back from the University of AZ and they seem to be making a comparable offer.

Thanks!

Old 02-28-2015, 02:14 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alazar14 View Post
Lastly, how would you compare the Albuquerque area to the Tucson area in general? I just heard back from the University of AZ and they seem to be making a comparable offer.

Thanks!
I briefly lived in the Tuscon area years ago once in the 70's and in the 80's. We still have friends in that area. We've been here in the ABQ area since 1998. We have liked both areas, but we had jobs and family in the ABQ area.

In all fairness you might consider these threads in the City vs. City forum:
Albuquerque versus Tucson.
Poll: Tucson, AZ vs. Albuquerque, NM vs. Chicago, IL.?
Albuquerque or Tucson 10 year outlook
Poll: Albuquerque or Tucson?!
Poll: Albuquerque VS Tucson VS El Paso
Albuquerque, NM compared to Tucson, AZ?

Old 02-28-2015, 03:30 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,938,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alazar14 View Post
Another question that I have is related to potential part time or secondary employment. That is, Is there by chance a community college located in or around the area as well? I'd love to pick up one or two classes per semester if possible to supplement my income (adjunct work).
Yes. CNM, Central New Mexico Community College, is within walking distance of UNM campus.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:20 PM

150 posts, read 253,833 times
Accepted at University of Arizona as well? Very impressive!

Tucson is superficially quite similar to Albuquerque. In fact, I became interested in Albuquerque when I heard that it was similar to Tucson, a place I already liked, but I wouldn't feel comfortable living in Arizona because the hostile state politics there leave me cold.

New Mexico, by contrast, is quite moderate politically and there is surprisingly little scaremongering or exploitation of hot button cultural issues like immigration and marriage equality.

The biggest difference in my mind is the soul of the place. Arizona's soul is cowboy, New Mexico's soul is palpably and visibly Native American, something I have experienced nowhere else. There is a certain type of kindness/acceptance that permeates Albuquerque culture that I believe has distinctive Native American origins. Rather than just reservations, New Mexico has over a dozen Native American Pueblos that have been continuously inhabited for centuries. In fact, the beloved and ubiquitous "Santa Fe" architectural style itself is Native American, originating from the Taos Pueblo, which has been continuously inhabited for 1000 years!

This is what genuinely makes New Mexico the "land of enchantment," and it's why New Mexico changes people, as described in the thread I linked above.

You asked about fishing – check out the Jemez mountains just a half hour outside of Albuquerque, and it even has a stunning waterfall:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dBxNDQ11vPo
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZonCc3v-DQ

Last edited by Abraxas; 02-28-2015 at 04:40 PM..

Old 02-28-2015, 11:55 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,701,379 times
If you just want to do some quick fishing you can go to Tingley Beach. They have a few ponds they stock with fish. It's about 3-4 miles west of UNM. There are numerous streams and lakes within a few hours drive.

ABQ and Tucson are quite similar on paper regarding demographics, education levels, income, crime rate, etc. The climate in Tucson is quite a bit warmer with less rain than ABQ.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:23 AM

19 posts, read 44,059 times
One other concern has come up in the last few days.

So I have been doing a ton of research on the Albuquerque area and came across a startling number of articles regarding police shootings. One video I witnessed had mentioned that the Albuquerque police department ranked among the worse in the nation when it came to the amount of people shot by police in any given year.

Obviously I remember the video about the shooting of the homeless man, and I know that appropriate actions are being taken by the DA, so I'm not really talking about this one isolated incident.

I want to get your perspectives on a few things:

Do you all feel that the police in Albuquerque are there to really protect and serve?

I know that in some areas of the country you can't trust the police more than you can trust the local gang members, so I would really appreciate some honest perspectives on this.

Also, How many incidents of police violence / brutality have you heard about in the area? Is it a frequent occurrence?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque