Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,953 times

Advertisements

I am considering a relocation to the southwestern US, and have basically 3 top choice cities in mind.
I can find good and bad in all of them, but could use some outside help in opinion.
My 1st choice is Albuquerque, I really enjoy the topography, and climate.
Howver, am scared off by the reported high crime stats that I read aout.
2nd is Salt Lake City, again, love the location, scenerey, but worry about the elongated "cold harsh winters" though. I doubt crime is too much of a factor here, but have noticed that housing cost are more then my other choices.
3rd but not last is Phoenix, based mainly on the low cost of home pricing.
I DO have reservations on the crime factor, as well as the extreme summer heat.
I'm just wondeng where I could get my "best bang for the buck", and what if any of the afore mnetioned item's I should consider the most.
Thnx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 07:33 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmic View Post
01-21-2010, 01:44 PM
http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...ew-mexico.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
You can read whatever you want. The crime rate is constantly debated, the statistics are constantly manipulated.

Don't walk down dark alley's, don't try to buy or sell drugs, don't stare at people, try your hardest to be polite, something that some people have difficulty in doing...

Rich

Old 02-21-2011, 08:06 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,687,064 times
If Albuquerque is at the top of your list, I would not let the crime rate deter you from moving here. As Poncho pointed out, common sense goes a long way in avoiding run-ins with criminals. The crime here does bother me a bit, but over all the good far outweighs the bad. You will find myriad threads on this forum about crime in Albuquerque if you do a search. I personally believe that the overwhelming majority of crime here is domestic, drug, or gang related. That doesn't mean that innocent lives aren't touched by crime, but it does mean that if you are not involved in those kinds of activities you are far less likely to be a victim.

Salt Lake City and Phoenix are completely different cities from Albuquerque and from each other. Aside from being in the same region of the country, there is not a lot in common. You could not pay me to live in SLC or Phoenix, but that's just me.

Good luck to you in your decision!

Old 02-21-2011, 09:41 PM

232 posts, read 302,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmic View Post
I am considering a relocation to the southwestern US, and have basically 3 top choice cities in mind.
I can find good and bad in all of them, but could use some outside help in opinion.
2nd is Salt Lake City, again, love the location, scenerey, but worry about the elongated "cold harsh winters" though. I doubt crime is too much of a factor here, but have noticed that housing cost are more then my other choices.
3rd but not last is Phoenix, based mainly on the low cost of home pricing.
I DO have reservations on the crime factor, as well as the extreme summer heat.
I'm just wondeng where I could get my "best bang for the buck", and what if any of the afore mnetioned item's I should consider the most.
Thnx
I've lived in all 3 of your aspired places and hands down: Albuquerque is nbr 1! Salt Lake (or slick: SLC) is the United States' 'homegrown' theocracy. If you transplanted it, it would look (except for the mtns) like any Midwestern city (so not very Western). If you don't ski and/or belong to the "club", there's no reason to live there. Phoenix (or the "oven") is most compared to Florida and its population: old and retired, and the economy is identical. The 5th largest city is filled with stranger/transplants (and mostly snowbirds) who hang on to their money and contribute NOTHING to the quality of life: education etc. Ask yourself why you haven't heard a 'peep' from New Mexico on the 'red-button' issue of immigration as we all have from Arizona? Maybe Bill Richardson and the leaders here wouldn't allow that to divide New Mexicans? So...ABQ IS the best kept secret of the Southwest: high desert, the seasons, 65 every Summer night (PHX never cools off becauses it's a depression...and soon to be a "heat island"), and a population (as the travelogues say) that does TRY to harmonize. Albuquerque's only downside may be its isolation in the center of the state...but at this point in my life, not a problem (I felt this when younger). We have great Summer ending events, low snow and ice (if any), and NOW year round (I hear and read) trails and cycling! For me (and you?) bring Albuquerque on!

Old 02-21-2011, 10:02 PM

Default Moving: senior or mixed apts: Nob Hill, 87106: ideas?

Hi:
Planning to retire in 'querque in a couple months. Owned a home near San Pedro and I40 ('80's), but remember Nob Hill as being very 'central', so would like to migrate there (87106). Reading through most of the threads: most apts are quiet (non-student ghetto), but I don't fear the 'young at hearts' (am one): just no parties please (I'll make my own). Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated?

Old 02-21-2011, 10:23 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyp1 View Post
Albuquerque's only downside may be its isolation in the center of the state...
I like to think of it as centrally located. 150 to 270 miles from Arizona, Colorado, Mexico, Texas...

Rich

Old 02-21-2011, 11:28 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,617,004 times
Where ARE all these 'crime stats' folks from elsewhere keep talking about? This city is a heck of a lot safer than Miami. It's all about perspective.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I like to think of it as centrally located. 150 to 270 miles from Arizona, Colorado, Mexico, Texas...

Rich
I agree. I was thinking as opposed to cities of the Midwest or East. Denver is a ways: 444 mi as I recall on the marker near the big I?

Old 02-23-2011, 01:35 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,307,212 times
Quote:

Rich
I agree! It's IDEALLY situated.

3.5 hrs to El Paso
5 to Sedona, AZ
6 to Moab
6 to Phx
8 to Denver
10 to DFW

Old 04-05-2011, 07:01 AM

2 posts, read 3,318 times
Default Crime stats

Also, if you review the web sites for crime statistics like the stats the FBI keeps, SLC is actually high in crime. The perception is that it is not, but at least in the city proper it is as high or higher than Albq.
I am pondering a move to Albq. myself, depending on a job coming through, and am amazed how much better the city is than it was in the late 1970s when I moved from Albq. to California! Downtown actually has life! Central has interesting shops and restaurants! People there have done a lot of hard work to make the city better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque