Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 03:55 AM

416 posts, read 1,399,036 times

Advertisements

The houses we're looking at are roughly 3000 square feet. What is the average cost of heating/cooling, gas, water/sewer, etc.? Or, does anyone know where I can go to find this information?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 01:46 PM

10 posts, read 25,597 times
Post Rio Rancho Utilities

Hello to all!

My wife and I have been talking for a year about moving to NM, and have settled on the idea of Rio Rancho. We plan on moving in June (if all goes according to plan...). We currently live in New Hampshire.

However, I am working to determine what an estimated yearly cost of utilities will be. I assume they will be less than here in New England, but I don't really know.

So, for a family of 4, living in a house which will be 1500-2000 square feet, would anyone like to give me a breakdown of what they currently pay for:

Water/Sewer
Electricity
Cable
Phone
Internet
Heat? (Gas, I assume?)

And what companies they go through?

I'm just looking for rough estimates, and what months see price changes (winter I assume, but perhaps summer for cooling in hot months?), and around how much the increase is during those times.

Currently we spend about $75/month in water.
In winter, for oil, $300-400/month (don't usually pay for oil May-October).
I have Comcast for Phone/Internet/Cable, which is around $170/month
Electric goes up to $300 for January/February since the forced hot air is terrible here, so we have space heaters that run off and on in winter, but for the rest of the year it is around 170 (and this is actually for 5 people, since our oldest is still living here with us).

Anyway, thanks in advance for any replies!

Old 01-20-2014, 02:01 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
This might give you an idea:

Utilities - What Do You Pay For Gas - Electric - Water?
Propane versus Electric
Electric Rates
Gas & electric bills in ABQ
Switching over from propane to natural gas
I think my answers from the past are in there. We live in Rio Rancho, but the costs of utilities always escapes me.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
This might give you an idea:

Utilities - What Do You Pay For Gas - Electric - Water?
Propane versus Electric
Electric Rates
Gas & electric bills in ABQ
Switching over from propane to natural gas
I think my answers from the past are in there. We live in Rio Rancho, but the costs of utilities always escapes me.
Poncho_NM - thanks! I had searched earlier, but I guess my search methods weren't very effective. That was good information. It looks like Comcast is available in the Rio Rancho area - is that what people usually use? (I also assume those prices are pretty much comparable nationwide.)

Old 01-20-2014, 03:24 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNoj View Post
It looks like Comcast is available in the Rio Rancho area - is that what people usually use? (I also assume those prices are pretty much comparable nationwide.)
Actually, the cable provider in Rio Rancho is Cable One; Comcast serves pretty much the rest of the Albuquerque metro area outside of Rio Rancho. The other option for Internet service is CenturyLink DSL. Not sure how they compare now, but when I lived there, CenturyLink (which was still Qwest at the time) offered faster speeds and was a lot more reliable than when we previously had Cable One.

Keep in mind that Cable One was once infamous for its low bandwidth caps, although they have backtracked from this in recent years.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNoj View Post
Poncho_NM - thanks! I had searched earlier, but I guess my search methods weren't very effective. That was good information. It looks like Comcast is available in the Rio Rancho area - is that what people usually use? (I also assume those prices are pretty much comparable nationwide.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Actually, the cable provider in Rio Rancho is Cable One; Comcast serves pretty much the rest of the Albuquerque metro area outside of Rio Rancho. The other option for Internet service is CenturyLink DSL. Not sure how they compare now, but when I lived there, CenturyLink (which was still Qwest at the time) offered faster speeds and was a lot more reliable than when we previously had Cable One.

Keep in mind that Cable One was once infamous for its low bandwidth caps, although they have backtracked from this in recent years.
Comcast is not available in Rio Rancho.

We had CenturyLink, which was Quest before that and was US West before that... Their DSL was bad for us for 10+ years. We use them only for our land-line phone.

We use Verizon for cell phone.

We use CableOne for internet which we use also for some streaming TV, otherwise we use Over The Air (Old Fashion TV). Gave up on satellite.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:11 AM

We finally made it! We have no car, because it broke down on I-40 Westbound right before exit 167. But my wife, son, daughter and I, managed to make it to our new home in Rio Rancho. Car needs a new engine. Guess the drive from New Hampshire was just to much for it. Will need to look for a new car this week now. Ugh.

Anyway, I need to get Internet as soon as possible for work. Hopefully CableOne had same day service. I tried seeing up an appointment online and they wanted at least 5 days out. I'll have to call on Monday to see what I can do.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:43 AM

Sorry to hear about the bad luck. At least you got to your destination.

Rich

Old 06-29-2014, 02:39 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,286,837 times
Glad you made it, KingNoj. I'm in Santa Fe rather than ABQ, and had a two-week wait to get Comcast out when we moved. If you're able to VPN in for your work, you may want to set up for the week somewhere with WiFi. the libraries are a good bet. Barring that, try a Flying Star restaurant. Their WiFi is pretty quick.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:31 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
Glad you made it and welcome!

Good luck on the appointment with Cable One. I called Comcast yesterday (I'm in ABQ) and the soonest they could install internet cable was July 11th. Needless to say I'm sticking with my CenturyLink DSL since they could get me a new upgraded router by tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque