Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2014, 02:00 PM

13 posts, read 58,137 times

Advertisements

Hello there! Been gone for a while and just found this site again! Yay!
SO, I was thinking today , I would really love to find a spot here in the RR/Westside area where I can drive with the kids, and just hang out by the river for a little while. We are used to going to the Jemez and Sandias quite alot but havent been able to , due to some crazy circumstances, So I am going a little stir crazy. I want to get out of the house , leave all cell phone, tablets, etc at home and just relax a little. Is there any spots , that are safe for me and my kids to go, within a short drive , that we can just sit and hangout?Preferably not a whole lot of people around, a little secluded?
My first thought was to post here because you all are so helpful! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 02:58 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,187,711 times
It's not technically RR, but there's a turnoff just north of the bridge on Alameda with limited parking and access to the river bosque trails.

It's on the west side of the river, north of Alameda, right about where the pedestrian/horse bridge starts to diverge.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:54 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
My secret map to the Rio Grande in Rio Rancho. (For some reason it does not always work. Anyway,
there is a parking lot, and you can walk go North from that spot.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=...h&z=15&vpsrc=1

This is the parking area:

Walk straight to the river and looking north:

Old 01-18-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
It's not technically RR, but there's a turnoff just north of the bridge on Alameda with limited parking and access to the river bosque trails.

It's on the west side of the river, north of Alameda, right about where the pedestrian/horse bridge starts to diverge.
Before that turnoff there is a larger parking lot on the south side of Alameda Blvd and East of the river:

Bunch of pictures I took of the area: 090211 Alameda Open Space - a set on Flickr

Old 01-18-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
My secret map to the Rio Grande in Rio Rancho. (For some reason it does not always work. Anyway,
there is a parking lot, and you can walk go North from that spot.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=...h&z=15&vpsrc=1

This is the parking area:

Walk straight to the river and looking north:

This looks perfect!!!! Thank you so much!!!!

Old 01-18-2014, 08:26 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,478,685 times
Another spot along the river a little north of the one Rich (Poncho) pointed out is the Willow Creek Trail. This Rio Rancho park features a 2-mile loop walking/biking path through the bosque plus a number of side paths that lead to the river and open beaches/sand bars where you can hang out. You'll see some folks/families out walking but it's quiet and uncrowded. Safe and kid friendly as well. You can reach it by heading north on 528, turning right onto Willow Creek Road (opposite direction from Idalia) and then a left onto the dirt road into the parking area. See the attached png files for more info and directions.
Attached Thumbnails
Quiet place in RR by the river-willow-creek1.png   Quiet place in RR by the river-willow-creek2.png  

Old 01-18-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
Another spot along the river a little north of the one Rich (Poncho) pointed out is the Willow Creek Trail. This Rio Rancho park features a 2-mile loop walking/biking path through the bosque plus a number of side paths that lead to the river and open beaches/sand bars where you can hang out. You'll see some folks/families out walking but it's quiet and uncrowded. Safe and kid friendly as well. You can reach it by heading north on 528, turning right onto Willow Creek Road (opposite direction from Idalia) and then a left onto the dirt road into the parking area. See the attached png files for more info and directions.

VERY cool... Thank you too!! in just wanted a place to go walk around with the kiddies on the weekend, these are great!! Now....shhhhhh.....dont tell anyone else....

Old 01-18-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
Another spot along the river a little north of the one Rich (Poncho) pointed out is the Willow Creek Trail.
Yes, that is good. I could not find my map or pictures. You can actually walk from one to the other...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque