Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 05:44 PM

5 posts, read 15,219 times

Advertisements

My wife and I recently moved from Chicago to Huntsville, AL. And we are not happy here and looking to relocate. I am a Chiropractor and I would be setting up a new practice. I have been reading some of the posts and I have some specific questions.

1. In Chicago you can wonder around the city anytime of night without fear for your safety. Would I need to be concerned leaving a restaurant in ABQ at 10 pm.

2. What is up with the bums there? Are they aggressive? I can handle someone jingling a cup, but I do not want someone approaching me.

3. We love Boulder, but too expensive and too much winter. For those of you who have been to Boulder how would you compare ABQ?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 06:13 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,516 times
Default 3 answers for you

1) I personally wouldn't wander around downtown Albuq after 10pm. But you won't have to - Albuq. is just not a city where the downtown area is really the "hub." Good restaurants are scattered all over town, and in any of those areas, I would feel safe after 10pm. Including Nob Hill/UNM.

2) I've never been approached, at all. I avoid the areas where this problem supposedly exists, along Central & well east of UNM.

3) Albuquerque is warmer and less expensive, definitely. It's really hard to compare the two, as they are really just so different. Boulder - small, expensive, exclusive, trendy. Albuquerque - None of the above. It's a big, spread-out city, with all the pluses and minuses associated with that. Sorry if that sounds vague.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:32 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,918,238 times
1.) There are only certain areas that you wouldn't feel safe in around 10 pm. These are areas around the state fair grounds and south of downtown. You should be safe in an area of downtown with restaurants, bars, clubs, etc. It is when you wander too far away from the core of downtown that things can get a little bit more unsafe. You will be safe in 97% of the city, and you would really never have any reason to go into the other 3%. But if feasible, you should make a trip out here. Albuquerque definitely has a more urban feel than Birmingham and other Alabama cities. However, Albuquerque is unlike any other city in America. There is no central core, it is spread out everywhere. It makes for a really interesting and enjoyable life though.

2. The most I have ever gotten from a panhandler is can you spare any money. But this guy wasn't even your average ragged clothes guy, this guy was in decent shape looking pretty well groomed. This was also at the Taco Cabana on San Mateo and I-25. So needless to say, it was an extenuating circumstance. You really shouldn't be too bothered by them. Besides they usually hang out in places where there are a lot of people so you shouldn't really feel unsafe.

3. Albuquerque is way above and beyond Boulder. I am sorry, but people rave about Boulder. There is nothing that you can get in Boulder that you can't get even better in Albuquerque or Santa Fe. Boulder is really yuppie, but Albuquerque has quite a few yuppie places. Nob hill, UNM Area, any Flying Star or Satellite Coffee, etc. I am sorry, but you are much better off in Albuquerque than boulder. Think about it like this, Santa Fe is only an hour away, and they are the culture mecca of the world. Woops, that turned into a bit of a rant. Sorry.

Anyway, I really would recommend a trip out here. I think you can get a great sense of the feel of Albuquerque and New Mexico in less than a week--obviously you can't see all the attractions, but you can get the overall "feel". I have to warn you though, you are in for a geography shock. We don't have the green Boulder, Alabama, Chicago, etc. has. We have reds, browns, golds, pinks, purples, coppers, bronzes, et al but unfortunately very little green. But just wait until you see just one of our sunsets. Or take a nice look at the mountain at dawn, and you will know that you are in spectacular place.

Anyway, good luck!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-14-2008, 08:34 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,918,238 times
For a good feel of Albuquerque culture go to Albuquerque - Albuquerque New Mexico - Albuquerque NM and watch the video that automatically plays at the top.

The link above is <<<www.ItsaTrip.org>>> incase you ever need travelers info

Old 01-15-2008, 09:18 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,715,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplestar6 View Post
1. In Chicago you can wonder around the city anytime of night without fear for your safety. Would I need to be concerned leaving a restaurant in ABQ at 10 pm.
Where in Chicago are you talking about? I am extremely familiar with Chicago, and while there are portions of the city that you can wander about any time of night, there are also a whoooollleee heckuva lotta areas that you sure as heck wouldn't want to be wandering about after dark - heck, before dark too!

That really isn't Chicago's "fault" per se. I would say that Chicago is like most big cities (and in Chicago's case a massive city) - in most big cities, you'll have very safe areas and some areas you'd want to avoid.

Albuquerque is very much the same way. I just got done living there after 4+ years, and in that time, I often left restaurants / bars, etc., well after 10pm. Because I really only went to areas where I felt quite safe (Downtown, UNM / Nob Hill area / NE Heights / Westside and Rio Rancho, etc.) after dark, I really never had a problem.

However, like Chicago, if I would've gone to some of the sketchier areas for crime, then yes, I imagine there could be an issue. However, I am guessing you and your wife would be sticking to the nicer areas like it sounds like you did in Chicago, and if this is the case, then you'd be absolutely fine.

Quote:
2. What is up with the bums there? Are they aggressive? I can handle someone jingling a cup, but I do not want someone approaching me.
Well, people are people, so if a street person happens to approach you, I guess probably none of us can predict that. However, overall I would say that street folks are amongst the least of one's concerns in Albuquerque.

Quote:
3. We love Boulder, but too expensive and too much winter. For those of you who have been to Boulder how would you compare ABQ?

Thanks
As others have stated, the two just don't compare. I would state that Albuquerque is so far superior to Boulder for so many reasons, but folks in Boulder would strongly disagree with me. It is just basically what you are looking for.

Boulder is a smaller town that is in general super-liberal and the folks there tend to pat themselves on the back a lot for that. Very beautiful terrain. Snowy, cold (but sunny) winters...skiing and outdoor activities are huge. Very expensive everything - including housing. A collegiate/academic-oriented community. Lots of Priuses being driven.

Albuquerque is a relatively big city (850K metro area population). Much more mild winters but hotter summers. Also beautiful terrain. Also very outdoor activities oriented. Much more down-to-earth everything. Much more affordable. Not quite "beautiful everything" though...you'll find the rich/affluent areas of course, but also the very middle class areas, and yes some low income areas and crime-ridden areas. A blend of many people (Anglos, Hispanics, Mexicans, Native Americans in general). Politically very diverse (you'll find plenty of liberals and conservatives...big arts community, college town and close to Santa Fe [liberals] but also a military town with the AF base, the Sandia National Labs and many defense contractors [conservatives]).

My GUT with your comments #2 and #3 is that Albuquerque may not be "your place", but who knows. I would strongly suggest you coming out for an extended stay in ABQ as it truly is a unique place and thus is quite polarizing - people generally either love it like I do or hate it.

Good luck!

Old 01-15-2008, 11:22 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
However, overall I would say that street folks are amongst the least of one's concerns in Albuquerque.
Until one takes a dump on your porch :-)

ABQConvict

Old 01-15-2008, 04:15 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Until one takes a dump on your porch :-)

ABQConvict
Please tell me that didn't happen, ABQConvict.

The only unauthorized BMs we've encountered were neighborhood cats taking advantage of our plentiful, backyard mulch.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:32 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Tim Rankin worried:

> > Until one (vagrant) takes a dump on your porch :-)

> Please tell me that didn't happen, ABQConvict.

Wussy. That's part of the ambience of living in the University ghetto and areas around Central.

I've cleaned up many a BM in my 'ghetto life' days. The landlord loved me for it.

P.S. It's not like your hand is going to melt.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:41 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,937,571 times
I wouldn't last long (in the city) under those conditions.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:10 AM

332 posts, read 1,035,848 times
I would say that Boulder is much closer to Santa Fe than Albuquerque, in terms of politics, open space, housing prices. And, yes, attitude ;-}
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque