Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2010, 08:49 AM

6 posts, read 16,889 times

Advertisements

Planning a move to ABQ in fall & conducting search for a place to live. I have a 14 year old lab mix who happens to be in the 60 lb weight territory (not because she's "large", just well fed ;-)

The good: ABQ appears to be VERY pet friendly, at least, in terms of renting.

The bad: I'm finding so many nice places limit the weight of dogs.

I understand breed restrictions, but the whole weight issue has always stuck in my craw. I won't go into my diatribe...just suffice to say that a dog's weight has nothing to do with it's demeanor and behavior.

Which leads to my question to those renting out there...

Have you found that most of these weight restrictions are set in stone or do many rentals bend the rules (perhaps, after a "meet 'n greet") for dogs?

Also, has anybody rented from a particular apt complex they have found very pet friendly? My dog (obviously a senior) enjoys lying in the yard (unleashed) but seldom wanders much. My current complex is very good about it.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 09:16 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,221,674 times
I've never really heard of a dog being weighed, but some people are anal about weird things.

Good luck (I've never rented an APT in ABQ, so I'll leave this to people with first-hand knowledge).

Old 04-16-2010, 09:23 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
It's really up to the landlord. Yes, the weight limit is common. Typically an 80 pound dog can do more damage than a 10 pound dog.

Albuquerque has a dog leash ordinance.

I am a dog owner and landlord (of sorts). I live in a house with a fenced back yard.

Yes, Albuquerque is a pet friendly city. They have the "The Humane and Ethical Animal Rules and Treatment (HEART) Ordinance" HEART Ordinance - City of Albuquerque (http://www.cabq.gov/pets/rules-tools/heart - broken link)

Welcome to the area.

Rich

Old 04-16-2010, 09:47 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,086,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilski
... conducting search for a place to live.
... lab mix who happens to be in the 60 lb weight ...
... anybody rented from a particular apt complex ...
Your thoughts?
My thoughts are:

(1) Where in Albuquerque do you want to live?

- others can provide more help based
- on your location preference(s).

(2) Look for rentals from individual landlords and not
.... corporate "complexes."

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilski
(not because she's "large", just well fed ;-)
Another thought:

Try to rent near a nice multi=use trail and use it.
It's not good for your dog to be overweight.
You will lose your companion sooner because of it.

If you, personally, could use more exercise, then
so much the better - living near one of those trails.

If you get a yard for your dog, try hiding food all over.
There is no treat that your dog or cat cannot find in the dark.
Make it a game.

I make my cats compete for T/D diet treats every night.
I shut them in a closet or bathroom and hide stuff all over
the house. They never miss even one and run frantically
all over the house - trying to beat the other cat.

Cats can smell as well as dogs, but since they are basically
worthless, you'll never see a bed-bug sniffing cat.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:23 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilski View Post
Planning a move to ABQ in fall & conducting search for a place to live. I have a 14 year old lab mix who happens to be in the 60 lb weight territory (not because she's "large", just well fed ;-)

The good: ABQ appears to be VERY pet friendly, at least, in terms of renting.

The bad: I'm finding so many nice places limit the weight of dogs.

I understand breed restrictions, but the whole weight issue has always stuck in my craw. I won't go into my diatribe...just suffice to say that a dog's weight has nothing to do with it's demeanor and behavior.

Which leads to my question to those renting out there...

Have you found that most of these weight restrictions are set in stone or do many rentals bend the rules (perhaps, after a "meet 'n greet") for dogs?

Also, has anybody rented from a particular apt complex they have found very pet friendly? My dog (obviously a senior) enjoys lying in the yard (unleashed) but seldom wanders much. My current complex is very good about it.

Your thoughts?
depending on what you are thinking of, if there is a 25lb limit forget it, a 40 or 50lb, no they are not going to weigh Fido. As for laying in the yard, unleashed if you are talking apt, forget it. I know I would not want to live in an apartment where dogs were not leashed at all times. This normally is a must.

NIta

Old 04-19-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post

(1) Where in Albuquerque do you want to live?

- others can provide more help based
- on your location preference(s).

Another thought:

Try to rent near a nice multi=use trail and use it.
It's not good for your dog to be overweight.
You will lose your companion sooner because of it.
Thanks, Mortimer. My search will be mainly Northeast.

As for the weight thing, she is 14. Still very active (we walk 2 miles every day). I have an Aunt who is very vigilant on feeding requirements for dogs...and seldom have her dogs lived past 10 years. In my family, we "table scrap" (within reason) and dogs have lived minimum of 12 years, maximum of 18. I understand your point, but...

Also, she has been borderline "Cushings disease" for the past 4 years, so her belly is a bit distended (giving appearance of bloating). She's actually lost 12 lbs in the past 3 years (per vet visits).

Sorry to sound a bit defensive. I understand the feeding theory. But when I say she is "well-fed", I mean she is also fed well (meaning the right types of food). No junk.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
depending on what you are thinking of, if there is a 25lb limit forget it, a 40 or 50lb, no they are not going to weigh Fido. As for laying in the yard, unleashed if you are talking apt, forget it. I know I would not want to live in an apartment where dogs were not leashed at all times. This normally is a must.

NIta
Thanks, Nita. I figured the higher weight requirements might buy me a little leeway. She weighs in at 62 right now. I'm hoping the fact she's a senior (calm demeanor) might afford me some headway, as well.

I really don't expect to find a complex that will bend rules for me. She's become a bit of a mascot around here though...all the kids like to come around & pet her. The office loves her too. So, in that regard, I've been lucky that she's been granted a bit of an exemption on leashing requirements. I don't expect it, however.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

Yes, Albuquerque is a pet friendly city. They have the "The Humane and Ethical Animal Rules and Treatment (HEART) Ordinance" HEART Ordinance - City of Albuquerque (http://www.cabq.gov/pets/rules-tools/heart - broken link)

Welcome to the area.

Rich
Thanks for the welcome, Rich. And, it's good to know ABQ has the HEART ordinance in effect. Very comforting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque