Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 01:19 PM

383 posts, read 634,591 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning a few days in ABQ. Since reading this forum
we are curious what it is actually like.
What are some attractions that we can see and give
us a good feel of the city. Probably be in the summer months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 02:28 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,424,465 times
I used to live in Placitas, which is about 15 miles north of Albuquerque. When family/friends visited, they would sometimes say, "This is like visiting a foreign country", and I agreed. It is unlike Arizona, Colorado, and Texas, its neighbors.

The people who live in Abq make it unique. Sure, the landscape, mountains, sky, and river are impressive (and important). But the people are its soul.

Others will answer your question by offering various places of interest. My suggestion is to go to these places and observe the people. They make are the soul of Albuquerque.

Last edited by nmguy; 02-19-2017 at 03:47 PM..

Old 02-19-2017, 02:41 PM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
In a few days you can see a number of things that are unique to Albuquerque if that's what you are looking for. If you are interested in museums check out the Balloon museum, Unser racing museum and the National Museum of Nuclear Science. Schedule time for the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center and the National Hispanic Cultural Center. Take the tram to the top of Sandia Peak.

There are a lot of outdoor options. The Sandia foothills have lots of hiking trails. The volcanoes on the west mesa are an interesting place for an easy hike. There are other trails along the river in town. Tent Rocks offer an interesting hike and a slot canyon. If you want to see a pueblo you can take a tour of Acoma about an hour west. A little farther west and you will see the Malpais National Monument lava fields. As an alternative, you can go up into the Jemez Mountains and visit the Jemez Pueblo visitor center, visit hot springs at the village of Jemez Springs, visit the old Jemez mission ruins and continue on to Valles Caldera. Santa Fe is a little over an hour up I-25 or you can take the RailRunner commuter train. (But Santa Fe is worth a couple days in it's own right.) You can check these places out on Facebook or google.

Old 02-19-2017, 03:49 PM

887 posts, read 1,215,545 times
If you are staying solely in Albuquerque I'd probably for sure hit the Tram. It's a quick way to get to Sandia Crest and the great views. Take a sweat shirt. I think that would be near the top of a limited must do list for me.

If you are venturing afield I'd have a thousand suggestions as would everyone else.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:19 PM

Love to get a sense of some urban flavor like Nob Hill. Definitely doing the tram. We went on one in Palm Springs. Was amazing that we went from 80 degrees to 30 in 10 minutes. Let's not forget some sunsets and the stars! :-)
Wish we were here for the Balloon fest, but that's in October.
Do you know of any nice hotels?

Old 02-19-2017, 06:57 PM

312 posts, read 277,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markeg View Post
Love to get a sense of some urban flavor like Nob Hill. Definitely doing the tram. We went on one in Palm Springs. Was amazing that we went from 80 degrees to 30 in 10 minutes. Let's not forget some sunsets and the stars! :-)
Wish we were here for the Balloon fest, but that's in October.
Do you know of any nice hotels?
Definitely recommend the Tram (but be aware it is not quite as nice as the Palm Springs experience once you get up there). The rides up and down are quite dramatic.

Take in an Isotopes baseball game. Very chill.

Hiking at the Petroglyphs park -- just bring some water. Easy.

Be sure to hit some of the New Mexican restaurants favored by locals. It's a great restaurant town.

I like the Days Inn by the airport. Good value, nice people. I stayed there quite a few nights when I first moved here and it was terrific. You will need to drive to wherever, though.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:04 PM

Yes, we will be renting a car. I just read somewhere that there are walking tours of Nob Hill, etc.

Is the Petroglyph National Monument near a retirement community called Mirehaven? I thought
when reading the forum, that they are close. How far is that away from Nob Hill or Uptown?

Old 02-19-2017, 07:43 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markeg View Post
Yes, we will be renting a car. I just read somewhere that there are walking tours of Nob Hill, etc.

Is the Petroglyph National Monument near a retirement community called Mirehaven? I thought
when reading the forum, that they are close. How far is that away from Nob Hill or Uptown?
I've walked various parts of Nob hill over the years. Here is the page that shows five neigborhood walks in the ABQ area, https://www.visitalbuquerque.org/thi...borhood-walks/ With the construction going on Central Avenue, I truly do not know the traffic or parking issues.

Mirehaven is about a 4 mile drive south of the Petroglyph National Monument taking Unser Blvd. I have not stopped at Mirehaven, have passed the turn off heading to I-40.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:48 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Nob Hill is a great neighborhood to live in, and its amenities such as restaurants, boutiques, and bars are definitely worth a visit.

By all means, if you are in Albuquerque, enjoy Nob Hill and take a walk around the area, but it is not like taking an architectural or historical tour in a major city. It is really just Albuquerque's little walkable human-scale neighborhood replete with lack of parking and good representation of whatever is trendy in food/drink/and so forth. I would combine a Nob Hill walk with a visit to UNM's campus which is kind of a pedestrian oasis with great architecture from neo-pueblo to our distinctive southwestern modern all among well gardened grounds and fountains set among mature cottonwoods, ponderosa pines, and garden specemin trees. Since the University is on the west border of Nob Hill, the two areas can make up a decent day of touristing around SE Albuquerque.

Know that there is a major construction project on Central Ave.which is currently making Nob Hill and University Heights kind of a pain. On the other hand, if the project is complete by the time you get here, the new bus infrastructure would ostensibly make getting to/around Nob Hill from other parts of the city convenient. Otherwise you will have to find a spot in the limited pay-to-park parking lots (or metered street parking) in the area. Some of the businesses do have free parking for patrons, but they are generally very vigilant about their lots and can and do boot people who park then leave their property.

Last edited by ABQConvict; 02-20-2017 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: typos, general cleanup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque