Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 11:25 PM

24 posts, read 66,036 times

Advertisements

Been in Placitas for just over a year now and really loving it.

Access to anything is so easy. You can be 'away from it all' and yet still 'have it all' at the same time. Albuquerque - no problem. Santa Fe - no problem.
No problems with power outages. Oddly, I was just having that conversation with my wife 2 days ago.."y'know...the power never seems to go out here".
I don't see anywhere near as much wildlife as I'd like to. I can hear the coyotes in the evening but they are a good way away and those bobcats I saw across the street just before we bought the house....haven't seen 'em since. In 15 months, I've gone out and whacked only one rattler.
It's far less dusty here than it is across the river in Rio Rancho.
Want some cool air and cold water to stick your feet into? Run up 165 till it turns to dirt and keep going another 2-3 miles up the north side of Sandia. We take our dog up there regularly for our green fix. Desert-to-green in 15 minutes. Nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 04:12 PM

25 posts, read 64,152 times
Loving the perspective, Kevin. Thanks! I notice you said nothing about the aliens. Are you covering something up? Haha, just kidding. It's only my speculation, but maybe those bobcats left when they saw your dog.

How's your water situation? And how's your internet? Cable, or DSL?

Old 05-07-2016, 05:49 PM

4,866 posts, read 4,804,405 times
We're about 3 miles east of I-25 and have Comcast cable & internet. DSL (Century Link) is also available here. I am not sure how far east those service extend, so you may have check with them. I expect DSL range is more limited than Comcast.

We're in a water coop servicing a couple of subdivisions and is not a concern. As you get closer to the mountain, the geology can make water more difficult to find. If you're in a developed area, there's likely no problem. If you're in the village, you may need a well and could be of the acequia system.

This is our coop - La Mesa Water Coop | Serving La Mesa and Sundance Mesa

Old 05-09-2016, 06:31 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,424,465 times
I lived in Placitas for 11 years. During that time, a bobcat was born in the back of our property and spent time lounging on the cool grass in our rear courtyard. A couple years later, she gave birth to her own kittens and brought them back to the same spot.

Last edited by nmguy; 05-09-2016 at 07:29 PM..

Old 05-09-2016, 08:17 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Great Bobcat pics, nmguy, thanks for sharing!

Rich

Old 05-10-2016, 02:06 PM

91 posts, read 160,481 times
I'm not sure if you still have Placitas on your radar. If you do, it's a really nice community - especially if you are just adults (though many families with kids do call Placitas home). The views, the weather, the night skies, and the air are generally better out in Placitas. Almost all the house lots are of generous size and many are on well water, propane, solar, and wood-burning power. The yards are usually more desert landscape and life has a noticeable more rustic, yet high end, feel to it. People tend to fall into two camps - granola crunchy professionals/entrepreneurs/retirees or native New Mexicans from a long lineage of ancestors who passed along the land grants.

There is a super cool library further up the road towards Placitas Village. And, down closer to the highway, you will find a funky grocery store, shops and restaurants.

You can easily get to Bernalillo, Rio Rancho, and ABQ in 30 minutes. Santa Fe is about 45 to 55 minutes away. And, as an earlier poster mentioned, you can access the back side of the Sandias - including Sandia Man Caves and luscious trees/streams/picnic areas just a short drive past Placitas Village where the road turns to dirt.

There are mountain biking and hiking trails all throughout the area.

The only true inconvenience to Placitas is the lack of nearby access to affordable groceries (the local store is price-y) and city-based errands. Unless you are super good at consolidating trips and planning ahead, you WILL be in town (=lots of driving) more than you'd think. Fuel efficient cars are best. And, if you intend to live further off the main road down one of the winding, hilly side roads, 4WD does come in super handy on snow days when it can become impossible to safely make it up/down small hills.

Otherwise, it's a great place to live. And, there IS a real estate company out there that specializes in the area. I have worked with one of the agents (as have two separate family members) if you want a recommendation. Just message me and I'll connect you.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:01 PM

4,866 posts, read 4,804,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mod_Momma View Post
The only true inconvenience to Placitas is the lack of nearby access to affordable groceries (the local store is price-y) and city-based errands. Unless you are super good at consolidating trips and planning ahead, you WILL be in town (=lots of driving) more than you'd think. Fuel efficient cars are best. And, if you intend to live further off the main road down one of the winding, hilly side roads, 4WD does come in super handy on snow days when it can become impossible to safely make it up/down small hills.

Otherwise, it's a great place to live. And, there IS a real estate company out there that specializes in the area. I have worked with one of the agents (as have two separate family members) if you want a recommendation. Just message me and I'll connect you.
Not sure where you're shopping, but it's about 7 miles from my house to the Albertson's on 528 in Rio Rancho and about another mile to the Super Walmart. The Merc is a bit expensive but it's really handy for those I'm short of something times. If you want Smith's or Trader Joe's on Paseo, it's 15-16 miles. Other than to see friends or attend events, we're in town only 1-2 times a week.

It's also only about 15 minutes to the restaurants in Bernalillo - The Range, Freight House or Abuelita's. The Placitas Cafe next to the Merc is great for breakfast or lunch, and Blades, also next to the Merc, is great for a more expensive meal. The Merc center is only 5-10 minutes from me.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:56 AM

13 posts, read 17,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Not sure where you're shopping, but it's about 7 miles from my house to the Albertson's on 528 in Rio Rancho and about another mile to the Super Walmart. The Merc is a bit expensive but it's really handy for those I'm short of something times. If you want Smith's or Trader Joe's on Paseo, it's 15-16 miles. Other than to see friends or attend events, we're in town only 1-2 times a week.

It's also only about 15 minutes to the restaurants in Bernalillo - The Range, Freight House or Abuelita's. The Placitas Cafe next to the Merc is great for breakfast or lunch, and Blades, also next to the Merc, is great for a more expensive meal. The Merc center is only 5-10 minutes from me.

Ditto. Actually very convenient to anything. There are some hilly/windy roads that are further off the main road (165) that may cause you to drive further, and maybe some ice at times (the high desert sun melts frozen precip here very quickly) but nothing like other parts of the country that have 4 seasons.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:39 AM

1,566 posts, read 4,424,465 times
Bobbie the bobcat was an occasional, well-behaved visitor during our stay in the lovely village of Placitas.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:54 PM

25 posts, read 64,152 times
Wish I could see the bobcat pics. I click on the bars, and all I get is a grey circle with a minus sign in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque