Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 07:29 AM

123 posts, read 190,585 times

Advertisements

I've been looking for a thread about car insurance rates in NM? I will call around soon to get an idea but I would like to hear from the locals...

So what's the scoop. Car insurance in Florida is crazy, it is a no-fault state and most people here pay, pay, pay to drive. Have a teenager on your plan? One almost needs a second job to fund that. I will enjoy the lower cost of living in NM. I'm imagining the insurance rates are lower compared to Florida? What are the major insurance providers? Is there an emissions test on cars? If so, how often? Are there any unique rules or laws I should know about when I transfer/register my cars in NM?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 07:39 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlc74 View Post
I'm imagining the insurance rates are lower compared to Florida?

What are the major insurance providers?

Is there an emissions test on cars? If so, how often?
I can't speak for Florida insurance rates, have not lived there in over 20 years.

I have used USAA insurance for our vehicles and homes for over 20 years.

"Emissions testing is required of motor vehicles registered or commuting in Bernalillo County. All 1982 and newer motor vehicles up to 10,000 lbs GVW must pass an emission test every two years" http://www.mvd.newmexico.gov/emission-testing.aspx and https://www.cabq.gov/environmentalhe...ssions-testing

Old 11-09-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I can't speak for Florida insurance rates, have not lived there in over 20 years.

I have used USAA insurance for our vehicles and homes for over 20 years.

Emissions depends on where you live. Last time I had to do it was in ABQ once a year.

We have USAA here so I may get a quote from them. I've been with Geico for over 15 years and they are expensive but took really good care of us when someone hit my daughter. However, my rates did go up a little :/ I currently pay $1450 for a 6 month policy (2 cars, one is new) which covers my daughter and I and she's 18 - one accident that wasn't her fault. We don't have emissions testing here anymore.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:54 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
On average, a NM driver will pay about 75% of a comparable driver in FL. Our vehicle registration rates are among the lowest in the nation, so it is cheaper to own a car here.

The insurance providers here are probably mostly the same you have in FL. They all run the same scheme- charge a premium based on the purchased price of the vehicle, and keep it the same as the vehicle depreciates. So if your premium is $150/mo. when your $30,000 car is worth $30,000 (before you drive it off the lot), it is still $150/mo. when your 8-year-old formerly-$30,000 car is worth closer to $10,000, even though it's substantially cheaper for the insurer.

In the end, the best insurance company becomes "a different one", as a new provider would be happy to cover that car for $100/mo. or less.

If you have a clear FL title, bring it to an MVD (for some reason it's MVD not DMV in this state), along with your ID, pay a nominal fee to retitle it, provide proof of insurance, emissions if you're in Bernco, and voila, you can put your turquoise-and-yellow plate (or hot dog plate, or dozens of other specialty plates) on your ride.

NM has a superior MVD system. In addition to the overcrowded unpleasant warehouses with long lines and surly clerks who don't speak very good English (we have those too), there are fee-based operators who keep smaller, more convenient, mostly-full-service facilities that charge an extra fee to help you skip the wait at the bureaucrat factories.

Registering a vehicle in California was for me a complete nightmare, as I suspect it is for much of the country. NM has its flaws but it's ahead of the country when it comes to this part of the system. It's surprising it's not more common.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:01 AM

1,566 posts, read 4,424,465 times
One thing I liked about registering my out-of-state vehicle in Bernalillo (Sandoval County), was that I didn't have to take a written driver's exam. Just showed them my driver's license, paid a fee, and drove off.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
On average, a NM driver will pay about 75% of a comparable driver in FL. Our vehicle registration rates are among the lowest in the nation, so it is cheaper to own a car here.

If you have a clear FL title, bring it to an MVD (for some reason it's MVD not DMV in this state), along with your ID, pay a nominal fee to retitle it, provide proof of insurance, emissions if you're in Bernco, and voila, you can put your turquoise-and-yellow plate (or hot dog plate, or dozens of other specialty plates) on your ride.

NM has a superior MVD system. In addition to the overcrowded unpleasant warehouses with long lines and surly clerks who don't speak very good English (we have those too), there are fee-based operators who keep smaller, more convenient, mostly-full-service facilities that charge an extra fee to help you skip the wait at the bureaucrat factories.

Registering a vehicle in California was for me a complete nightmare, as I suspect it is for much of the country. NM has its flaws but it's ahead of the country when it comes to this part of the system. It's surprising it's not more common.
Agreed - insurance is a rip off!

I'm happy to hear this about the MVD! At one point, I was planning to move to a different southern state and their DMV process seemed like a total nightmare to complete a transfer, registration or anything. In Florida, you show up with the normal paperwork (title, ID, etc..), money and boom that's it.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:28 AM

22 posts, read 29,717 times
Just moved here from FL myself. The Wife and I have Geico for our two vehicles, the rates didn't change more than a few dollars every six month after the move.

We pay 1/2 what you're paying, but then again, I don't have an 18 year old driving

The MVD here is pretty good, The center on Menual is busy, but pretty fast.

Good luck

Old 11-09-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjeff35 View Post
Just moved here from FL myself. The Wife and I have Geico for our two vehicles, the rates didn't change more than a few dollars every six month after the move.

We pay 1/2 what you're paying, but then again, I don't have an 18 year old driving

The MVD here is pretty good, The center on Menual is busy, but pretty fast.

Good luck
Thank you, good to know that your rates didn't change much....sooo my rates may not change much after we move, ugh! I was hoping I would see a break on insurance.

How's NM so far!?

Old 11-09-2016, 09:02 AM

22 posts, read 29,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlc74 View Post
Thank you, good to know that your rates didn't change much....sooo my rates may not change much after we move, ugh! I was hoping I would see a break on insurance.

How's NM so far!?

LOVE IT HERE. We're just North of ABQ in Corrales.

I've actually only been to ABQ a few times since we moved. Three times for the MVD stuff. You have to take your FL registration, apply for a NM tag. If you don't have the title and have a lien on it, they will request from the lien-holder your FL title. It took about 3 -4 weeks for both of ours.

I've found the people here more friendly than back in FL. Even at the drive-thru fast food, they're generally friendly and much more engaging than most of the kids back in the sunshine state.

Old 11-09-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjeff35 View Post
LOVE IT HERE. We're just North of ABQ in Corrales.

I've actually only been to ABQ a few times since we moved. Three times for the MVD stuff. You have to take your FL registration, apply for a NM tag. If you don't have the title and have a lien on it, they will request from the lien-holder your FL title. It took about 3 -4 weeks for both of ours.

I've found the people here more friendly than back in FL. Even at the drive-thru fast food, they're generally friendly and much more engaging than most of the kids back in the sunshine state.

OK, will remember the time frame about the title with the lien. I have the title to my older car.

Cannot wait to move with my daughter! I am targeting some time in March!! I could probably move by Christmas but I have a final test to take on campus at the end of the semester. March will give us plenty of time to prepare and start our Spring semester classes online.

We are super excited! I've seen a lot of good stuff about Corrales and Rio Rancho. Maybe we will be neighbors

Very helpful, thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque