Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 07:26 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,424,465 times

Advertisements

Tim Rankin, great post.

I might add that my appreciation of Abq multiplied a bit on Sunday.

After breakfast at La Norteñita on Central (east of Wyoming), we drove down Central to Broadway, eventually ending up at the Corrales growers' market.

We drove through four or five distinct neighborhoods and appreciated each for what it had to offer.

Having come out here from Shallow Alto (Bay Area), I can honestly say that I'm living in nirvana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 08:07 PM

823 posts, read 3,689,096 times
Riverdog,

Good luck.

Sunseeker,

We're not beach people but we are fresh air and clear skies people.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:47 AM

82 posts, read 355,055 times
Default Where people moved from.

Here's a map of counties. Click on the one you want in order to see where people are moving in from.

Moving from county to county

Old 03-11-2008, 03:48 AM

82 posts, read 355,055 times
Default abq is enticing because

I haven't moved to abq, but I'm looking to relocate somewhere. Abq has some fine features. Abq has a mild climate compared to every single city of the U.S.A. that is east of the Rocky Mountains. Abq is a city, not the country. Abq is one of the least typically American, if there is such a thing (I think you know what I mean), cities in a state that fits a similar level of uniqueness as it does. It is milder concerning summer heat than the other Southwestern cities, except the California coastal cities. It's the only somewhat left leaning state between Iowa (yes, Iowa leans a little to the left (for the U.S. anyway)) and the West Coast. The flora, geology and fauna are exotic. Multiculturalism. Native peoples, hispanic cultures (mostly Mexican-American I guess) and the multiracial people of the "melting pot". Light rail! University of New Mexico. Pueblo revival architecture. A city with a 300 year history. Sandias. Closer to family in Iowa than if locating to West Coast. Gov. Bill Richardson and his great resume. Airport. ETC..

On the other hand, I'm a bit worried about skin cancer. Although, I managed to live in San Diego for four years without getting very burnt and damaged. Someone mentioned in another abq thread that religious conservatives have been moving to abq, which isn't good imo. Does anyone know if that is a really a trend?

Old 03-11-2008, 07:30 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack7y View Post
Someone mentioned in another abq thread that religious conservatives have been moving to abq, which isn't good imo. Does anyone know if that is a really a trend?
I don't live there yet, but based on what I've seen in the city and based on what I've been reading online for over a year, I don't think you need to worry about religious conservatives dominating the local culture any time soon. Also, keep in mind that you have an extremely strong Catholic community in the city. I know Catholics can be conservatives of various sorts, but in my experience it tends to be less of an in your face sort of conservatism than its Protestant counterpart.

I wouldn't be thrilled with the idea of living in a heavily right-wing evangelical sort of city, but I have to admit I'd be willing to trade some gang-bangers for some of those right-wing evangelicals!

Moderator cut: link to a competitors site removed

For a reflection of the generally-not-very-Christian-conservative side of Albuquerque, you can check this site:

Duke City Fix

I don't think it's necessarily representative of Albuquerque in general, but I think it strongly suggests this is not a Colorado Springs (if Colorado Springs is even as extreme as people describe it--I've never been there).

Last edited by Yac; 04-07-2008 at 06:33 AM..

Old 03-11-2008, 08:25 AM

473 posts, read 1,245,593 times
My wife and I are thinking of moving to ABQ from Indiana. I sure hope the conservatives moving there IS a trend. ... <moderator cut: talk about the issues pertaining to the OP please, not topics for Politics and Other Controversies>...

What's wrong with having a little God in ABQ? Love thy neighbor and do unto others as you would want done unto you.. what is wrong with that?...

...<moderator cut: talk about the issues pertaining to the OP please, not topics for Politics and Other Controversies>

Last edited by EnjoyEP; 03-11-2008 at 10:14 AM..

Old 03-11-2008, 09:27 AM

73 posts, read 254,569 times
I'm with Apartment Nomad. In my search for a future retirement spot, ABQ is high on my list. I'm glad NM is more on an even keel politically, unlike say, most of Texas or the South....<moderator cut: talk about the issues pertaining to the OP please, not other posters or topics for Politics and Other Controversies>...

There are plenty of phony evangelists on TV and radio in ABQ. A good share of fundamentalists throughout NM. But thankfully, there are plenty of more open-minded types, too. <moderator cut: provoking / personal attack>

Last edited by EnjoyEP; 03-11-2008 at 10:14 AM..

Old 03-11-2008, 10:13 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,714,750 times
Default Whoooaaa...

<Moderator message: Folks, talk about the issues pertaining to the OP please, not topics for Politics and Other Controversies. Pointing out if a city tends to be more politically left, right, or centrist leaning, or various religious aspects of a city is fine, however, discussion about the politics and morals of other countries/continents, or attacking comments to other posters about their religious/political stances are not needed here and need to be moved to the Politics and Other Controversies forum.

Thanks.>

Old 03-12-2008, 08:03 PM

741 posts, read 2,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTalk View Post
Censorship is always a greater evil than perceived offensiveness.

"What is it about Albq. that makes you wanna move here?"

Censorship??? Or perhaps the lack of it? Odd answer.

Or perhaps you meant to post this in a more appropriate forum. Again.

Chap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque