Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 07:32 PM

6 posts, read 6,985 times

Advertisements

We have Hatch Chile’s shipped to us twice yearly now!! So good!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 07:34 PM

6 posts, read 6,985 times
We will be in ask Albuquerque this weekend. Ready for some good food!!

Old 07-02-2019, 02:53 AM

2,076 posts, read 1,654,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazz View Post
It's almost all frozen at sea and routed through Japan's packagers anyway. (Yes, they ship U.S. fish to Japan and Japan sends it back. Go figure.) Unless you buy at the dock or a coastal U.S. wholesale fish market, it's the same stuff anywhere in the U.S. In almost all cases. (I'm sure there are exceptions.) Those clams at the wharf restaurant are the same as the ones at the place in Kansas City.

I am from coastal Florida and have had many conversations about this over the years with Pacific Coast fish mongers and restaurant pros. When you ask if the fish is "fresh," they have a good laugh behind your back. If it were fresh, you wouldn't want it.

That said, I would not buy seafood at Smith's and prefer Whole Foods (which has good quality control and makes occasional regional buys such as Copper River salmon) and maybe Sprouts. Talin's counter never looked or smelled that good to me, but they do have some live product.
I went to HS in NM and love the local food. But I did live in the FL Panhandle for over a decade. My favorite sea food is fresh blackened redfish straight from the Gulf caught that day. Panama City had a restaurant that got fish right off the docks from boats bringing in fresh catches daily. It was great.

But I am glad I left FL before that big hurricane hit last year. I saw the satellite photos of the damage, and those trees looked like twigs strewn all over the roads. The church I had attended lost its roof, and the Mass was held outside. I left before that all happened.

When I go to Albuquerque or Santa Fe, I always go local for classic New Mexican food and get a "quick fix" while there on vacation - lol.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:16 AM

16,152 posts, read 10,833,242 times
I ordered Ceviche once in a well-established Mexican restaurant in ABQ hoping it would be something like what I got in Peru or maybe Pacific Coast Mexico. When it came it was pickled herring, like out of a jar.

Old 07-08-2019, 09:51 AM

25 posts, read 39,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNP2017 View Post
I am mainly looking for seafood to fix at home. My hubby lived in Albuquerque many years ago. We love the food there!!
As a transplant to NM from Western WA, I quickly became desperate for a good source of salmon. The junk in the grocery stores here was painful to look at - let alone think about buying and consuming.

We ordered 10# of coho (silver) salmon from this company. The price included free shipping. It came in vacuum sealed packages in a container packed with dry ice. The fish was still completely frozen. Some of the pieces had some bones we had to pick out, but that doesn't bother us.

https://www.tannersfish.com

(Lots of other seafood on there beside salmon if that's not your thing).

Grimmwit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque