Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 04:57 PM

6 posts, read 11,109 times

Advertisements

I recently took in four children that I know from a bus ministry that I am in charge of in the heights. The mother of these children went to jail, and because they were going to split them up, she asked me if I could take them in. I agreed, and now I have eight beautiful children that depend on me to keep them safe. A couple of weeks ago, the children asked to go and stay with their grandmother on the reservation near Gallup. I talked to their mother about it, and she said that it would be ok, but just for three days instead of the full week because she didn't want her mother to be overwhelmed. So, I packed the three boys and one girl some clothes, gave strict instructions to bring them back by Wednesday, and off they went.
Sadly enough, the grandmother brought them back two days late, and the little girl soon revealed to me that she had been molested by a relative when she was there. She also told me that it wasn't the first time, and both her mother and grandmother were aware of the prior abuse.
I reported it immeditately, or tried to report it I should say. No one wanted to help me because I am not her mother, and it happened on the reservation. After going to three different places, I finally got her seen by a doctor that was able to confirm that there had been some abuse. I had to contact the powers that be on the reservation, and now I am being told that there is a good chance that they will take these kids from me and place them on the reservation because they have jurisdiction. This is so crazy to me. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 05:40 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,743,753 times
The Dr is legally bound to report it and the Police are mandated to act that information. Call your Dr and ask if he has reported it yet and to who.

Mandatory Reporting of Child Abuse and Neglect - by Susan K. Smith, Atty., Hartford and Avon, CT. (http://www.smith-lawfirm.com/mandatory_reporting.htm - broken link)

It is irrelevant where it happened, child abuse is a Federal offense and therefore governed by Federal laws and not tribal laws. Federal Authorities have jurisdiction in situations like this.

Try calling these people New Mexico Children, Youth and Families Department

Old 04-07-2009, 06:09 PM

I called the Crownpoint social services, and they referred a CYFD caseworker to my home. I know they reported it, and a forensic examination will be done by Para Los Ninos IF I can get her mother to cooperate with me and sign over temporary guardianship (I have a limited power of attorney now). I think you are right, this would be a Federal offense because of the two different nations, but I am having a hard time getting answers. I understand now why so many children suffer at the hands of child molesters and abusers. It is very difficult to get help.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:18 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,348,336 times
I cannot give you the answers you need but I just wanted to let you know what a great person you are for doing what you're doing and not ignoring the situation like some people would.
I do know that a doctor or teacher is required to report the abuse.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:31 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
good for you for taking on such a responsibilty..I would suggest you apply for a lisence to become a foster parent or legal guardian. You are opening yourself up to problems and your heart is so, in the right place.

We were foster parents for many years, infact we are going to meet with one of our foster girls we haven't seen in about 30 years next week. She actually hired a private detective to find us. It will be a family reunion with our natural kids, our 2 adopted kids and her plus her partner. Talk about excited, no one can imagine what is going through our minds right now..

good luck to you and this young girl..

Nita

Old 04-08-2009, 06:10 PM

90 posts, read 251,275 times
Go to the Media.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:49 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,251,943 times
LORD no! That's the last thing this child needs, media attention.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:54 PM

Technically they can't post her name or picture because she is underage they will never have parental consent - I would not go to the media unless as a very last resort and then be very careful

Old 04-12-2009, 06:33 PM

Thank you guys somuch for the support, it's just what I needed to hear. Something good has already happened int the fact that this has been exposed and there isn't any more Grandma time as long as they are with me. I had a call from a person at the UNM Law Clinic that can help me to get paperwork for temporary guardianship. And, after speaking with their mother I am pleased to report that she was able to provide information to me that will pinpoint the location that this guy can be picked up at. So, I remain diligent in my fight for not only the little girl, but her brothers as well. I plan to get them some counseling ASAP, and have arranged for a forensic examination. I'll just avoid all of the family as long as possible, and hopefully stamp this little girls heart with love no matter what happens.

I have a pending application with Children, Youth and Families to be a foster parent. I think that once these children are no longer with me, it would be a great thing to help out other children in need of a family. Even if it is only temporary....

Old 04-12-2009, 07:19 PM

Great news - I hope that all goes well and justice is swiftly and harshly served.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque