Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 09:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,068 times

Advertisements

This blog was done in 2009 but I’m just reading it for the first time. I was thinking about Yucca Elementary School and Mr. Apple my favorite teacher. Researching the past days on the internet brought me to read your comments. I was on the swim team at the A Pool and remember Peter Pan’s as well. I have 2 sisters and 2 brothers who also grew up with me until I was 10 years old on Utah Street. We all have great memories of those days. I hope somebody out there can reply and tell me what happened to Yucca school. Also Mr Apple. What a wonderful teacher!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 05:00 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieN View Post
tell me what happened to Yucca school
There must've been a huge number of elementary-aged kids in the neighborhood when Comanche ES, Yucca ES, and Montgomery ES were all built. Now there are far fewer by comparison. 1966's Comanche ES is still there, with some new construction in the past 5 years.

The 1955 Montgomery ES, so close to Comanche ES you can almost see one from the other, got converted to "The Montgomery Complex" in 1982, and as of last year has been completely torn down to the dirt and is now well on its way to becoming a high-school-sized teacher training center (modern but out of step with the neighborhood's bricky architecture).

That leaves the 1955 Yucca ES, or what Sandia High School took over in 1974 and refers to as "The Yucca Annex". It's largely auxiliary classrooms now for Sandia HS' overflow. I think I took an SAT or similar there back in the 90's.

Sandia HS's pool, a hop skip and a jump from Yucca, got enclosed and is now a pool. I'd swim there more often but their hours are inconvenient, they could do more to encourage people to shower before jumping in, and they could change the water out more often rather than dumping in more expensive/less effective chemicals.

One other interesting tidbit is 1964's Del Norte HS. Built at a time when standards were relaxed, budgets were tight, and/or construction materials were expensive, it was a maintenance nightmare, so about 5 years ago, they basically tore it down and built a modern 3-story high school right next to it.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:35 PM

480 posts, read 316,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naport View Post
I just drove by that Putt Putt today. That place has incredible staying power, no?

Closed in NOV 2017.
https://www.bizjournals.com/albuquer...le-closes.html

Old 07-09-2019, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 832 times
Default O yes I remember the A Pool and grass today on

Omg. I lived on Wyoming and candelaria. Went to SHS and we always went to the A pool...I wondered what happened to it....sheesh those were the. Days when nobody died having sex or doing a few recreation drugs...

Old 07-30-2019, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 994 times
I think there was a pool behind the Princess Jeanne Shopping Center on Indian School Rd. Had my 1st beer with my dad at that Shakeys nearby. Just across from it there would be a White Fence Farm Chicken that had the best corn fritters. The Terrace Drive Inn was sometimes called the "Cha-Cha-Cha" by area kids due to the neon flamingo dancer facing the street in the Lomas Blvd. NE area. The Cinema East II Theaters was a walk away from the Holiday Park Housing development on Comanche NE and behind the development it was all desert with a cool hike to White Wash. Taco Sal's was the best tacos around and, I believe, Sal's son still runs it.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 319 times
Default I used to swim there regularly in the 1970s

I remember the pool fondly...it's where i learned how to swim along with my brothers and sisters in the early-mid 1970s when we lived in Albuquerque. I do remember that A in the middle and also have visceral memories of getting out of the pool and lying down on the hot cement to get dry rather than using a towel. I have a photo of my brother there next to the A ca. 1975 but can't figure out how to upload it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque