Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 11:49 PM

4 posts, read 9,704 times

Advertisements

The gangster mentality of Albuquerque? It is just so pervasive I do not know how I can be the only one to notice this. What is it with this town?

From the "mean dog" stares at the mall to the "whats up" head flip at the clubs I just don't understand why it is so prominent in this community.

And I would not even bring this up, as this normally is secluded to a certain section of society in other cities but it just seems like the majority of individuals, whether black, white, brown, young, old, gay, straight, it doesn't seem to matter. Everyone seems to be a tough guy.

Is this just the culture here? Reminants of the Wild, Wild, West? Machismo? I just dont understand.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Can anyone point to an explanation or pose a theory?

Again, just to be sure I am not bashing on this city or the individuals. I love New Mexico but I feel Albuquerque is just so different than the rest of the state. Not because of it being a mid-sized city but it just seems like there is something in the air that makes people think they need to act like this.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:05 AM

36 posts, read 63,147 times
It's actually quite simple. . . The city is small, but just big enough to be a "city" rather than a town. There's nothing to do in Albuquerque that caters to the younger crowds so they're always rather bored. Boredom leads people to make some interesting life choices. . . ones that become habitual. A lot of the Albuquerque culture is of hispanic ethnicity, which by no means I make this statement in a racist contect, but a lot "believe" that that's how those people are. So you have a bunch of followers who think it's cool to be "tough" and thus the "machismo" attitude.

Most people grow out of it, But you're right, and no you're not the only one to notice it. That's another reason I had to get the hell out of New Mexico. Call it a bias stigma or whatever but Albuquerque seems to be the center of whitey wannabe gangsta mentality. . .Everyone thinks they're a mafia don. lol

Old 05-13-2009, 08:24 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,224,884 times
I blame the hats with stickers left on them.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:25 AM

196 posts, read 591,635 times
Yes you are correct. My husband and I mainly ignore these people. Why even look at them and give them the time of day to give you that look- is what we figure. These thugs are breeding thugs also, so it's a multi-generational process. IMHO it can also be a parental monitoring need. If there is nothing for the kids to do get them involved SOMEWHERE. There are sports programs, music programs and clubs at school to get your kid interested. You just need to take in interest in them. If you see them leaning towards this thug lifestyle step in and talk with them.
Wow, I'm gonna stop here and get off my soapbox, sorry.
hee hee, "how 'bout them Dodgers?!" LOL

Old 05-13-2009, 08:26 AM

196 posts, read 591,635 times
rybert - LOL!

Old 05-13-2009, 08:37 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,453,216 times
I blame the head flips, weird spastic gestures and general stupidity of the whole look to a serious inability to know one's trouser size and then keep the things from falling down. And some of those guys are about 45, so they don't all grow out of it.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:25 AM

439 posts, read 1,222,507 times
Being a gangsta has also become cooler in society in general, with lots of clothing with guns on it and the popularity of crazy stuff like this: http://www.funnyhub.com/content_imag...ded-tattoo.jpg

So, the gangsta look isn't unique to New Mexico...but as you said, it's certainly popular here. I think it is, like other posters said, a boredom thing, a wild west thing, a we-own-this-territory thing, and also just a need to belong and feel a connection to a place or person. Like a lot of gang activity.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:16 AM

110 posts, read 366,433 times
I can't say that I've been out and about, as of late. If there has been changes, I probably am in the dark ages about it.

Here is the perspective, from an old timer. I've been a Alb. resident since 1954. Until the great migration, from the east coast in the 60's, our biggest problems were 'drunk Indians'. Sorry about the term, but that's how we referred to it, back then. Having an older 'Native American' in the center lane, making a left turn right over your hood, was nothing shocking.

It was during this time, the 'pachuca's' were prevalent. These were the gangs, mostly mexican. I remember numerous gang wars between the pachuca and the Air Force boys. Sometimes with knives, sometimes with guns. It was a dangerous world, if you didn't know where to tread and where to stay away.

We were a laid back society. Ladies, thought nothing of going to the grocery store in shorts and with curlers in their hair.

Then NY started moving in on us. There was a huge financial crisis to hit the NE, people lost their jobs, houses wouldn't sell and the cost of heat was over whelming. All of a sudden, folks put their homes on the market, packed up and started out for Houston. The rumor was, there were jobs in Houston.

Before long, miles and miles of cars, idling in a traffic jam, were the big news stories. People were being turned away by the police, and told there was not enough housing and certainly no jobs.

Seeking warmer atmosphere and jobs, these people migrated on and landed in Phoenix, Albuquerque, Dallas and Los Angeles. Albuquerque's population doubled and tripled, before housing could keep up.

This from the perspective of the locals: we had been invaded. It seemed to us, these people didn't come to be like us, they came to demand we change. There were rough feelings, between the old timers and these invaders. The local women were amazed at these hats and high heels, in the grocery store. We thought it was funny, these ladies 'dressed up', just to do their shopping.

The worst? Their driving habits. Now we had New Yorkers (local term) and native americans, mixed together with us, on the roads. It was a disaster.

A few years later, we noted California moving in on us. Now THAT was a problem. The mixture of attitudes was causing a clash, that drove most of the old timers out. To this day, I can't stand half the drivers, on our roads. They don't understand NM way.

Now, can you imagine, with all this mixture going on and them bringing the worst as well as the best with them, mixing in with the pachuca? The bad kids, ran up against the switch blades. Soon, the switch blades were traded in for guns.

To this day, standing in the right place at the right time, you can see the clash. So now, it seems to me it was the makings for the very attitudes, you see today. The truth is, the local mexicans can't stand the New Yorkers, the New Yorkers can't stand the locals and California comes with an attitude that we are in the dark ages and need to get in their groove.

You see it, you just don't understand what it is. So there it is. The old timers understand. The migrator's can't figure out the animosity. Depending on the attitude and where it's happening, I can tell you where these people came from.

Truly missing my home. It doesn't exist anymore.
judy

Old 05-13-2009, 11:38 AM

184 posts, read 805,821 times
WOW Red46,

Very insightful. Thanks!

Today's migrations, relocations, people moving into other's "lands"... that IS what the world is NOW about.

Change IS inevitable. It's how we all deal with it, that's key. Acceptance of one's differences .. now THAT along with Respect and Kindness and Patience... where DID the old days go.... sigh...

Tolerance instead of bullying...
Handshakes instead of headshakes...
and mostly why can't we all smile when we give each other eye contact
(oh wait.. eye contact-- what's that???)

(Yep.. living in my rose colored world...)

O cynical 1

Skysz...

Old 05-13-2009, 11:53 AM

110 posts, read 366,433 times
Me too, Sky..... We moved over and made room, while the invaders made demands and looked down their noses. We have given up NM and no longer recognize our own home. I do wish the others would become a part, instead of pushing attitudes at us. It was a kind world, with it's dark corners. Now we have to find the bright corners.
judy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque