Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 07:01 AM

338 posts, read 1,619,839 times

Advertisements

Work has me in ABQ on Thursday and instead of flying back to the east coast on Friday I'm going to stick around and check out your state as it's my first visit to New Mexico. We arrive Wednesday evening. Any suggestions on what I should see, where we should eat, etc.?

I'm a 30-something outdoorsy gal (biking, hiking, etc.) and was wondering if there's any hikes that are do-able this time of year? Someone had mentioned tent rock to me...is that worth seeing? Is a road trip up to Santa Fe worth it on Friday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 07:25 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
Recommendations:

For one day, skip Santa Fe. The rail runner is scenic and all, but those are 2-3 hours you could spend taking in sights and sounds closer to Albuquerque.

I recommend taking the tram to the top of the Sandias and hiking around up there. Snow will limit your mobility a bit but it's outstanding exercise (just beware altitude sickness, avoid soda, and drink extra water). As the sun sets, have yourself a nice dinner with a view of the city lights at the restaurant up there, then head back on down.

Days are so short that maybe after your hike at the top you could check out Old Town Albuquerque, which is scenic even at night.

Just my $0.02.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:57 AM

908 posts, read 2,853,808 times
Ditto on Zoidberg's scratching of Santa Fe. Also, if it's cold here, it's going to be pretty chilly on the crest. Some in town options would include: The Rio Grande Nature Center (on the East side of the river, take Candelaria towards the river till it ends.). The Embudo Canyon with a variety of trails in the foot hills (take Menual East until it ends (turns into a subdivision, trail head is straight ahead.). The 'River of Lights' show is going on at the Botanical Gardens, offering a huge display of Christmas lights. There's been a lot posted about favorite restaurants. I'd use the search function to pull the posts up. Have fun!

Rio Grande Nature Center:

River of Lights:

View from top of foothills at Embudo Canyon:

Old 11-30-2009, 11:00 AM

1,418 posts, read 4,917,963 times
I second the tram idea. But I wouldn't eat at the top. I would try to find a restaurant somewhere else...perhaps in Old Town or Nob Hill just to see some of the more cultural areas of Albuquerque.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:41 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
I agree with the tram if it is not too cold. All the visitors we have taken up there have been pleased. There is a mexican restaurant at the base, or 1/2 to the north is County Line BBQ, a favorite of mine.

Some good sites which descibe Sandia:
Sandia Peak Tramway
SummitPost - Sandia Peak -- Climbing, Hiking & Mountaineering
Sandia Mountains - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you have time during the day a walk, shopping, lunch etc in Old Town.
Old Town Albuquerque

Rich

Old 11-30-2009, 01:14 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,742,624 times
I personally would rent a car for the day, gives you much more access to much more things and depending on which hotel you are staying at it will make things much more convenient.

It is currently cold here 44-46'F, if you are not bothered by heights and it is not windy then the Tram would be a good thing to do, if it is windy or if you are not keen on taking the tram then you can drive to the top via route 14, if you choose to drive you can also check out the small town of Madrid (they pronounce it funny though).

I would also check out Old Town if you are not going to go to Santa Fe. Wouldn't really recommend any of the restaurants there but if you want authentic New Mexican food you should eat at Sadie's and there is now one in the NE very close to the cluster of hotels there.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:37 AM

132 posts, read 347,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjg39069 View Post
Work has me in ABQ on Thursday and instead of flying back to the east coast on Friday I'm going to stick around and check out your state as it's my first visit to New Mexico. We arrive Wednesday evening. Any suggestions on what I should see, where we should eat, etc.?

I'm a 30-something outdoorsy gal (biking, hiking, etc.) and was wondering if there's any hikes that are do-able this time of year? Someone had mentioned tent rock to me...is that worth seeing? Is a road trip up to Santa Fe worth it on Friday?
Tram idea is good and eating in Old Town

Also, if you want to hike, bike, etc..check out our parks. Many nice trails and the weather is very mild (well okay, a bit cold last few days for me). Here is the link to our "Open Spaces"

Open Space - City of Albuquerque

Have fun

Old 12-01-2009, 08:13 AM

6 posts, read 17,905 times
Really early in the morning there's a restaurant at the National Hispanic Cultural Center that is very romantic, since not too many people go there for breakfast - it's called La Fonda del Bosque. They have awesome food and great service. You could do that before you head to see the sights. Then, for some reason, I always take people from out of town to Sadie's - great salsa and margaritas! Hope that helps.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:50 AM

4,866 posts, read 4,804,405 times
You might also go to Petroglyphs Natl Mon. There a few miles to walk there.
Petroglyph National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 12-01-2009, 02:32 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,363,371 times
I'd have lunch at the Church Street Cafe in Old Town. Its housed in one of the original buildings, over 300 yrs old. Worth it for the culture of the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque