Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 09:43 PM

548 posts, read 1,217,665 times

Advertisements

Traffic. Where will you be working?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 07:50 AM

28 posts, read 80,487 times
Thumbs up ABQ here I come..........

MANY THANKS to all of you for your great help, advice, and tidbits!! I just got back from my 3-day trip, found a great apartment on the NW side and will be moving soon. I LOVED the variety of weather I saw while there- despite all the apologies from apartment managers - rain, snow, sun, more rain, snow, and what was that weird stuff on Friday (Jan 22) -? Kind of like a pellet snow? It wasn't ice so not true hail. Anyway I was glad to see what some of your not -so-great weather is like. Easy to get around in the city, and I have not driven in ABQ since a brief vacation 20+ years ago. Excellent food - loved Los Cuates on Menaul. Here is a picture of the snow on my rental car Saturday morning.
Attached Thumbnails
researching move to ABQ  - did I miss anything?-snow-abq-jan-23-2010.jpg  

Old 01-27-2010, 07:54 AM

995 posts, read 2,728,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon38 View Post
MANY THANKS to all of you for your great help, advice, and tidbits!! I just got back from my 3-day trip, found a great apartment on the NW side and will be moving soon. I LOVED the variety of weather I saw while there- despite all the apologies from apartment managers - rain, snow, sun, more rain, snow, and what was that weird stuff on Friday (Jan 22) -? Kind of like a pellet snow? It wasn't ice so not true hail. Anyway I was glad to see what some of your not -so-great weather is like. Easy to get around in the city, and I have not driven in ABQ since a brief vacation 20+ years ago. Excellent food - loved Los Cuates on Menaul. Here is a picture of the snow on my rental car Saturday morning.
Thats good news. I'm glad everyrhing worked out for you. Where are you moving from?

Old 01-27-2010, 08:01 AM

The HOT-lanta area. Actually not too hot lately, we had several nights of 14 - 17 degrees earlier this month and it is 33 right now. I do not mind the cold, but it was pretty odd for here.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
The HOT-lanta area. Actually not too hot lately, we had several nights of 14 - 17 degrees earlier this month and it is 33 right now. I do not mind the cold, but it was pretty odd for here.
what made you consider New Mexico?

Old 01-27-2010, 08:35 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Anyway I was glad to see what some of your not -so-great weather is like. Easy to get around in the city, and I have not driven in ABQ since a brief vacation 20+ years ago. Excellent food - loved Los Cuates on Menaul.
Glad you enjoyed the trip! Yea, the weather has been a bit screwy, we have had worse but really not that bad. Supposed to be in the 50's today, it was 28 this morning. Sun is out...

Rich

Old 01-27-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazyone View Post
what made you consider New Mexico?
I did a survey on ****.com (great website) to find places I might want to eventually retire to. ABQ was high on the list, along with Reno, El Paso, Phoenix, and about 20 others. After weeks of research it seemed ABQ was going to be the best fit.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:48 AM

963 posts, read 2,302,433 times
Default Congrats on your decision to move to ABQ

I lived in ABQ for three years (I'm back in NYC now) and loved it. New Mexico in general is a treasure and you will enjoy exploring your surroundings. You sound like you are already attracted to the New Mexico culture which is very important. Most persons who visit ABQ either love it or hate it, and a big part of that is how you respond to the culture. If you like red or green chile you will be just fine

I spent many afternoons after work in the Jemez mountains, a great place to escape the city and it is only an easy drive of about 45 minutes. You will love the quiet red rock beauty of Jemez. Take the Jemez Mountain Trail all the way to Santa Fe for a nice afternoon excursion.

Also, The Turquoise Trail with its resurrected ghost town Madrid is a great local drive as well. Another wonderful place to take a quick hike and have a picnic lunch is the Elena Gallegos Picnic Area. It is in town and has amazing mountain views.

If you find yourself occasionally missing flowers and greenery of back home, The Rio Grande Botanic Garden in ABQ is a great way to spend an afternoon. They have a very nice aquarium as well.

Wish you much success in your move!

Jemez Mountains red rock near Jemez Pueblo:

Elena Gallegos Picnic Area

Rio Grande Botanic Garden flowers:

Last edited by Design7; 01-28-2010 at 12:57 AM..

Old 01-28-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post
I lived in ABQ for three years (I'm back in NYC now) and loved it.
Amazing pictures. I know getting use to the landscape would take some time for me considering my back yard is about 2 acres. I thought I would miss NYC when I bought my house up in the Hudson Valley and till this day I haven't missed NYC at all. However I know I will miss the beauty of Hudson Valley and the plush green grass afforded to me during the summer months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque