Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 07:49 AM

28 posts, read 80,482 times

Advertisements

OK so I have posted several comments on this wonderful forum, read everything I can find on the same subject, and appreciate all the great feedback. I am in the final stages of planning a 3-day trip to ABQ to check out apartments (all are on NE or NW side, mostly zips 87109, 87111, 87112, 87114). Renting a car, bought a street map, planning to visit one or two zip codes each day (have mapquested them). Hopefully will have time to check out a few of the great restaurants mentioned also. I have located Petsmarts, Smiths, and have been checking your KOAT news channel website often also.
My main concerns are safety and flooding. (By flooding I don't mean water puddling in the streets or rushing down the arroyos. I am talking summer or monsoonal rains flooding apartments and homes, or the Rio Grande going over its banks into neighborhoods. Don't say it will never happen; the Weather Channel called the Sep 09 floods in Atlanta a "10,000-year climatological event". I plan to rent on the second floor if possible.)
Call me Nerd of the Month; I have an excel spreadsheet with the following data, plus the usual amenities etc, recorded:
sq. footage with associated rent, including pet fees and deposits
data from crimereports.com by address with 2 month comparisons
data from floodsmart.gov by address
all apts. checked on apartmentreviews.com; reviews taken with a grain of salt
I have no school aged kids and work remotely, so schools and traffic are not a big concern.
**What have I overlooked? If you were coming to ABQ to visit with the intention of living here, knowing what you know as a resident, what should I watch out for?**
Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 08:12 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,453 times
Earthquakes. You over looked earthquakes. Albuquerque is located in rift valley
just like the one in East Africa so there are hundreds of fault lines under or near
the city.

In a 100,000 year event, we'll have an 8.2 in the middle of a flood and the resultant
tsunami down the Rio Grande basin will wipe out Belen. Better buy in Rio Rancho
where you're well above the river...

(Actually the rift valley thing is true....)

Old 01-12-2010, 08:12 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,477,278 times
Default Phone/internet

If you're working from home, is good cell phone coverage and internet access critical? Not sure how much coverage/service may vary across the places you're looking at but this may be something you think about in evaluating alternatives.
We just moved here and I work from home. Switched my cell phone in advance from Sprint to Verizon to get the best coverage based on what others have said on the forum.
Decided to go with Qwest for internet although opinions seem somewhat divided on this. We rented a house so had free choice on this selection; not sure if you would if you're renting an apartment so might be something to ask about.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:26 AM

28 posts, read 80,482 times
Default researching move to ABQ-did I miss anything?

Yes I checked all apartments for internet (I prefer Comcast high speed to DSL; most already have it but if not they will let me get Comcast to wire it and I am checking the Comcast website for availability also), and it IS absolutely critical. Cell phones are with AT&T, not as critical but I do need to check that, thanks.
Earthquakes - DOH!!! We actually have had 2 in Atlanta in the past 7 years. One was obvious and we definitely felt it, the other one fairly recently was not. Fault line is somewhere in AL.
Thanks.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:27 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,219,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
Better buy in Rio Rancho
where you're well above the river...
Yeah, what he said.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:42 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon38 View Post
Earthquakes - DOH!!! We actually have had 2 in Atlanta in the past 7 years. One was obvious and we definitely felt it, the other one fairly recently was not. Fault line is somewhere in AL.
Thanks.
I lived in Albuquerque for the first time in the early 70s and a couple days after
my arrival, there was a mild earthquake in the middle of the night.

"On January 4, 1971, another shock caused considerable minor damage in
Albuquerque, principally at the University of Albuquerque. "

We attended a geologic seminar on the Albuquerque basin a couple months ago
and the fault map was impressive. Many dozens of minor faults under the entire
area.

New Mexico

Rio Grande rift - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This entire area of New Mexico is considered both seismically and volcanically
active.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:42 AM

25 posts, read 76,469 times
Default Crime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon38 View Post
**What have I overlooked? If you were coming to ABQ to visit with the intention of living here, knowing what you know as a resident, what should I watch out for?**
Thanks much.
Hi Movinon38,

We made the move from Atlanta to Albuquerque this past summer. You're a nerd after my own heart; I, too, had an Excel spreadsheet with most of the variables that you list.

One aspect that I don't see you mention is crime. For each address that we considered, I looked at the 30-day crime count, which I obtained by entering the address into this website:
Search CrimeReports.com

We ended up buying on the Westside in Paradise Hills.

DM me if you have any questions. Good hunting!

Old 01-12-2010, 08:49 AM

4,866 posts, read 4,804,405 times
I don't think that you have to worry about thr Rio Grande flooding you out. The elevation increases substantially from the river, up to 6,000 feet along Tramway (and probably 5,600-5,700 in the areas you mentioned). If the river floods enough to get those zip codes, I think there will more to worry about than flooding.

Some related info is here:
Free ZIP Code Lookup

Old 01-12-2010, 08:58 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
Flooding is more than just proximity to the river; a 100- or 500-year flood can overwhelm the arroyo system in parts of town that aren't particularly close to the river.

Similarly, Martineztown (not the closest to the river) was very susceptible to flooding due to shoddy 100-year-old grandfathered-in storm drainage. That's been largely fixed now, but some parts of town are better designed for that than others.

Driving on Juan Tabo between Montgomery and Eubank will give you an idea of how big they think the floods can get; that big old concrete thinggy isn't just abstract art.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:16 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell
... we'll have an 8.2 ...
Better buy in Rio Rancho where you're well above the river...
Oh THAT'S just GREAT advice.

Everybody knows that when the "Big One" hits, the volcano vents
on the West Mesa will start spewing big-time . Your Rio Rancho
real estate won't be worth much covered by 100 or so feet of lava.

Also, you think Mount Taylor is too far away to effect Albuquerque?
You think wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque