Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 05:16 PM

710 posts, read 2,962,637 times

Advertisements

Bass Pro Shops is eyeing Winrock based on another Albuquerque development page on skyscrapercity.com/forum. I think both would be great additions, lets just see if it happens.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-03-2015 at 08:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 05:17 PM

710 posts, read 2,962,637 times
I would much rather have Ikea than Bass though, and given our limited water in this state it would make more sense. They could modify the store format though to focus more on outdoorsy stuff versus fishing and boating.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:27 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,453,264 times
My understanding is that IKEA doesn't even look at metros until they hit 2,000,000 people within a 40-60 mile radius. As New Mexico as a whole barely tops 2 million, I don't think we'll be on their expansion list any time soon.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:32 PM

293 posts, read 971,523 times
Sadly, IKEA has addressed Albuquerque (a few years ago). Their response was something like: not in this century.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:48 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynanthus View Post
Sadly, IKEA has addressed Albuquerque (a few years ago). Their response was something like: not in this century.
No, IKEA did not address Albuquerque, some people feel if they scream loud enough it will happen...

https://www.facebook.com/IKEAUSA/pos...50858825433066
On facebook:
Quote:
Kamila Greutman‎
IKEA USA
March 18, 2012 ·

Are you coming to Albuquerque, NM??? We NEED you here!!!!
Like ·

7 people like this.

IKEA USA Hi Kamila! Thanks for asking. Unfortunately, we don’t have current plans to open an IKEA store in Albuquerque, NM, but we thank you so much for sharing your interest – we will be sure to pass it on. If you're looking to find the closest IKEA store to you, take a look at our “Store Locator†link
And

What would it take to get Ikea to Albuquerque? | Albuquerque Journal News
By Jessica Dyer / Journal Staff Writer
PUBLISHED: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 12:04 pm
What would it take to get Ikea to Albuquerque?

A community needs people — and lots of them — to make it worth the company’s while. Spokesman Joseph Roth said Ikea typically only moves into trade areas with at least 2 million people. That’s 2 million within 40-60 miles or within a 40- to 60-minute drive. “I’m not familiar with the exact population of Albuquerque, but I don’t believe it’s quite 2 million yet,†Roth told me recently. “If it were, we’d be looking at it.†Albuquerque is, in fact, nowhere near 2 million: The Census Bureau estimates Albuquerque’s population at 555,000 with its entire metropolitan statistical area — including Rio Rancho, Moriarty, Los Lunas and Belen — at 902,000. Stretching the bounds to Santa Fe doesn’t help much; the Santa Fe metro adds only 146,000 people.

So the Duke City is not, as Roth put it, on the company’s horizon right now.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:58 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
A BJ's is being built on the south end of Cottonwood Mall as we speak. It is a stand alone building new building.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:01 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,701,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
My understanding is that IKEA doesn't even look at metros until they hit 2,000,000 people within a 40-60 mile radius. As New Mexico as a whole barely tops 2 million, I don't think we'll be on their expansion list any time soon.
Hey if we start growing at 3% we could be there in 25 years!

Old 02-19-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finmqa1 View Post
There is new construction in the parking lot on the far SE corner of Coronado (near Kohl's).
That construction has been widely publicized as a Longhorn Steakhouse.

http://www.bizjournals.com/albuquerq...aurant-at.html

Last edited by Cactus Hibs; 02-19-2015 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: added link to confirmation stories.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianH View Post
If I read correctly a couple weeks back or so, the demolition work at the south end of Winrock you mentioned, I believe is going to be a high rise parking structure. Construction for it broke ground within the last month. Based on what's portrayed in the video link below, as well as much of what I've been reading over the last couple years, there's some pretty ambitious plans for Winrock Town Center and at the present time, they appear to be moving forward.

http://youtu.be/koujYDxQUQ0
It's going to be an underground parking structure topped by shops. Future tenants will include Nordstrom Rack, DSW, Ulta, TJ Maxx, and several others possibly including a Bass Pro Shops as indicated by the OP.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:00 PM

141 posts, read 222,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
It's going to be an underground parking structure topped by shops. Future tenants will include Nordstrom Rack, DSW, Ulta, TJ Maxx, and several others possibly including a Bass Pro Shops as indicated by the OP.
I can picture that, something like what was built at the nearby Target. I was aware that the Nordstrom Rack and DSW were supposed to be coming there, I hadn't heard about the others till now.
I'd also read about plans of a new hotel and condos somewhere in the vicinity as well, but not 100% sure about any details about that, I only read brief mention in an article a few weeks back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque