Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Family moving to Albuquerque New Mexico, seeking information about best neighborhoods, 5 bedroom house 350K or less, Rio Rancho, Los Lunas, Paradise East

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 12:46 PM

6 posts, read 33,343 times

Advertisements

I detected a note of complaint about housing prices when you write "I didn't know $350k was 'modest.'" Comparing the Southwest to Ohio is simply not relevant; people move here for quality-of-life reasons, and if affordability of real estate is your chief aim, then I would suggest that perhaps this would not be a positive move for you and your family.

There are 5BR homes being built in Albuquerque - but few of them east of the river, that's for sure.

I have recently lived in Las Vegas, NV, and Boston, MA (my hometown), and currently reside in 87114. This was intended to be an "inexpensive option" for us, and I'm delighted to report that this is a wonderful area (see: Chap's terrific info and nm_photojournalist's suggestions).

In terms of strategy for acquiring a home: We flew in a couple of times to look around, and I would make a very strong suggestion to rent first. Unlike Vegas but similar to Boston, Albuquerque has very varied neighborhoods with individual characteristics, and you will want to look around.

Regarding commuting - I don't know about Ohio, but even the "bad traffic" here is nothing by comparison with larger cities. I would say that under a half hour is not a bad thing.

There's one other huge reason to delay your purchase: the boom in ABQ real estate is very much over, and prices are already beginning to slide a bit. Hurrying to purchase a home right now in the range you mentioned is like lighting money on fire - why do it to yourselves?

Here are my opinions on areas I'd look at, if I were you:
* Rio Rancho, east of Unser (generally speaking). Centex has a development at Oro Grande with 5BRs possible in your price range, and I thought that was a lovely development.
* Paradise Hills. My neighborhood! (zip: 87114). You will find it tough to find a 5BR, though, that isn't over $380-$400.
* Near northeast heights. There are some new developments with larger houses, and as noted previously, this is a desirable part of town. I don't care for it, though: found it to be bland.
* Four Hills. This is a wild-card; on the eastern edge of town off I-40. The commute wouldn't be too bad (this is NOT true for Tijeras/Edgewood, with the construction going on east of Four Hills), and it's a lovely area. Again, though, you'd be looking for a 4BR - though the homes are lovely.

After living here for a little bit, and having visited and done extensive homework on the local real estate market, I want to emphasize that the perception of "value" here is extremely subjective due to the different kind of neighborhoods. My fiancee and I were close to purchasing in Placitas, but I didn't like the price point and thought the house a little too close to a road. The view was also partially obstructed by a telephone line. So, we thought we'd "sit in Paradise Hills and just rent cheap" and lo, I am now considering buying around here, and might save myself $100k into the bargain! Amazing - and I'd never have known without being here.

That's a lot of words, hope some of this helps you. Remember that people move here to be here, and some of that price includes a wonderfully rich local culture, as well as intense natural beauty. Housing prices are going to slide a little bit over the winter, and likely not pick back up until next summer.

Best,
Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 01:26 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,181,344 times
The age of a neighborhood also tends to make a big difference in terms of quality of life, IMO.

Pre-1984: Big yards, often grassy, established trees, easier time seeing your front yard.
Post-1984: Small yards, almost no setback, rarely grassy, younger trees. Often have no idea what's in front of your house.

The former is a lot easier on the eyes, and though it's more maintenance, I prefer it. Drive around and the difference becomes very obvious.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:54 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,916,612 times
There are some newer neighborhoods that are now starting to add a lot more lawns. It will be easy for you to tell a good area from a bad area. If their are bars on the windows, that area is not great. keep your eyes open, and you will find some things that you really like.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:00 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,612,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqsunport View Post
There are some newer neighborhoods that are now starting to add a lot more lawns. It will be easy for you to tell a good area from a bad area. If their are bars on the windows, that area is not great. keep your eyes open, and you will find some things that you really like.
One thought here. If you see one or two houses with bars and the majority without bars in the neighborhood, I wouldn't panic and assume the worst. Often it's a senior living there. However, if you see a BUNCH of houses with bars on the windows, then yes, there's usually a reason for it (and not a good reason either). My mom put bars on every house she's owned since the ONE time in the 70's she was broken into. Some seniors are funny that way. I've learned to count the barred houses now.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:23 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,181,344 times
Bars mean nothing; 70% of the homes in my neighborhood have bars and we have had zero reports of breakins in the past two years. I haven't heard of one in the past 10 years that involved going through a window.

They're a lot like gated communities: Added hassle, the feel of living in a prison, just about zero correlation to crime prevention. To each their own; some people still buy Hummers because they think they look cool.

Criminals are lazy. Why climb through a window when an open or unlocked door occurs so frequently?

Old 10-18-2007, 07:29 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,612,146 times
The fire departments around here HATE the bars. Makes it tough (sometimes impossible) to get people out in case of fires. Since I have more friends who had house fires than friends who were broken into, I think I'll skip the security bars.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:35 PM

253 posts, read 1,305,941 times
COming from someone who commuted for years from the south of Boston into the city everyday, I find it humourous that people here consider the traffic from Rio Rancho to I-25 difficult. For me in RR, it is a delight! So, it's all relative, depending upon what you are used to.
I would definitely move my kids to RR if I were you. I am not trying to "cheerlead", I am simply recommending RR due to the school system, brand new phenomenal highschool and library next to it, soon-to-be state of the art community athletic anf fitness facility that is being built in RR, lots of soccer/football going on at the fields on High Resort Blvd, and easy access to the malls, movies, mountains. It is also only a 45-minute drive to Santa Fe, if you want to do something different/cultural with the kids. Also, crime is much lower in RR than in Albuquerque. So, thinking as a mother, that is what I would do. But I would stay closer to 528/Rio Rancho Blvd rather than heading west into RR. Nicer homes, more to to, closer to Alb. Just my two cents!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque