Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2010, 11:06 PM

3 posts, read 5,312 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am planning on moving to New Mexico within the next 3 years. I just don't know where to look for a home. I will be moving there with my boyfriend and our 2 boys.
1) I don't want to live in an area with a lot of crime.
2) I am hoping to transfer from my job here to there so the place I buy has to be somewhat close to a larger city.
3) I would prefer the town be close to I-25 so it would be a quick and easy commute to Albuquerque.
4) I cannot afford a home that costs upwards of $100,000 but am not thrilled with the idea of living in a mobile home.
5) Must have a good school system as my youngest son will still be in school when we move.
6) I do not speak Spanish and am unsure if I would be able to learn it very well, as I am currently 40 and will be pushing 44 when we move.
7) I would prefer not to live miles away from the nearest neighbor but dont want to be able to look in their window or them to look in mine either.
8) Do not want to live miles away from the closest hospital or have to drive an hour to get to the doctors office.
9) Cannot be an area like Las Cruses because I have Multiple Sclerosis and cannot withstand the high heat with humidity. (part of the reason we want to move from here!)
I visited Albuquerque almost 20 years ago in June and loved it. It wasn't too hot or humid and the mountains were beautiful!

I don't know where to start looking! Where I live now, it is about a half an hour drive on the interstate to get to Indianapolis. We have the large town close by but we do not have the crime rate the large city has. In fact, we normally do not even lock our doors. I am looking for somewhere that has the shopping and some entertainment like movie theaters and the like but not the high crime rate as a large city.
I was thinking about Belen until I found out it has upwards of 90 trains go through a day...but this general area sounds like somewhere that might work pretty well.
Does anyone have any suggestions? At this point, we are just starting out trying to get ideas of the areas that sound like a good fit for my family.
Both me and my boyfriend are currently 40 years old and our sons are 16 and 6. By the time we move, the oldest will have graduated high school but the youngest will still have a while to go so we want a decent school system.
Any help anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 06:25 AM

49 posts, read 129,599 times
Come visit and see where you like, that is my best offer. I do not understand # 9. Humidity here in the state is real high if its 40% And that is in the southern part. That percentage is only in the monsoon season. Check out the state is my best suggestion.

Just remember, NM is not the green state with the lawns, that does shock many from the midwest.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:22 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,225,947 times
Why not move to Albuquerque and call it good?

Old 05-11-2010, 08:41 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,826,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady12969 View Post
I was thinking about Belen until I found out it has upwards of 90 trains go through a day...but this general area sounds like somewhere that might work pretty well.
The person who started that thread had never even been to New Mexico. The trains are near Albuqurque, and Las Cruces and, well all over New Mexico. If trains bother you, don't move near the train tracks. If you don't like aircraft noise don't buy a house in a flight path...

Rich

Old 05-11-2010, 11:29 AM

147 posts, read 390,861 times
Get back with us in three years!!

Old 05-11-2010, 11:58 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,453,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Why not move to Albuquerque and call it good?
They want safe, good schools but think $100k for a house is too much for their budget.

I am not sure you will find that combination in ABQ.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:37 PM

434 posts, read 1,107,077 times
10127 Corral Gate Lane Southwest, Albuquerque NM - Trulia

Old 05-11-2010, 12:40 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,897,654 times
Quote:
Hello! I am planning on moving to New Mexico within the next 3 years. I just don't know where to look for a home. I will be moving there with my boyfriend and our 2 boys.
1) I don't want to live in an area with a lot of crime.
2) I am hoping to transfer from my job here to there so the place I buy has to be somewhat close to a larger city.
3) I would prefer the town be close to I-25 so it would be a quick and easy commute to Albuquerque.
4) I cannot afford a home that costs upwards of $100,000 but am not thrilled with the idea of living in a mobile home.
5) Must have a good school system as my youngest son will still be in school when we move.
6) I do not speak Spanish and am unsure if I would be able to learn it very well, as I am currently 40 and will be pushing 44 when we move.
7) I would prefer not to live miles away from the nearest neighbor but dont want to be able to look in their window or them to look in mine either.
8) Do not want to live miles away from the closest hospital or have to drive an hour to get to the doctors office.
9) Cannot be an area like Las Cruses because I have Multiple Sclerosis and cannot withstand the high heat with humidity. (part of the reason we want to move from here!)
I visited Albuquerque almost 20 years ago in June and loved it. It wasn't too hot or humid and the mountains were beautiful!

I don't know where to start looking! Where I live now, it is about a half an hour drive on the interstate to get to Indianapolis. We have the large town close by but we do not have the crime rate the large city has. In fact, we normally do not even lock our doors. I am looking for somewhere that has the shopping and some entertainment like movie theaters and the like but not the high crime rate as a large city.
Does anyone have any suggestions? At this point, we are just starting out trying to get ideas of the areas that sound like a good fit for my family.
Both me and my boyfriend are currently 40 years old and our sons are 16 and 6. By the time we move, the oldest will have graduated high school but the youngest will still have a while to go so we want a decent school system.
Any help anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks in advance!
wow, I think you had better rethink what you want and can afford, maybe you need to visit but wait til you are closer to moving time as things change.

You want a decent school district but can't don't even want to spend $100,000 for a home, that isn't even realistic in any way.

YOu don't speak Spanish, you do not have to speak it, but you do have to be prepared for hearing many speaking nothing but spanish.

You were thinking of Belen, but the train situation scared you away, well the train situation is not what it sounds like, but the crime rate (especially for a home anywhere near your price range) would be high. Los Lunas is nice, no way will you be able to find a home in that price range.

At this time there are no hospitals in Valencia county which is where Belen is located. I think the only thing that would come close to meeting your requirements might be Socorro. You did mention shopping, are you talking grocery shopping or malls, if you are thinking malls you would have to go to Albuquerque.

Nita

Old 05-11-2010, 12:44 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,225,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
They want safe, good schools but think $100k for a house is too much for their budget.

I am not sure you will find that combination in ABQ.
Maybe with $150k.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:10 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,735,521 times
Quote:
9) Cannot be an area like Las Cruses because I have Multiple Sclerosis and cannot withstand the high heat with humidity.
Heat yes, humidity, ummmm, no.
The average relative humidity in Las Cruces is about 27%. Might get a little higher during monsoon season, but, it's often lower. Currently it is 6% and and a blissful 83 degrees.

As other posters have noted, best would be to come visit and check out different areas, perhaps identify suitable medical facilities first and work out a travel/commute radius from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque