Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2016, 07:45 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,018 times

Advertisements

How dark do skies in albuquerque get within a 30 minute drive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 08:19 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,060,169 times
Here is a Dark Skies Map so you can see for yourself.

DarkSiteFinder.com - Light Pollution Map

Old 08-25-2016, 09:06 AM

16,072 posts, read 10,732,474 times
The map is helpful but the sky seems darker than one might assume because of the elevation and lack of humidity. Tucson and Pima Co. AZ have a reputation for dark skies but still show up with a bright spot on the map...about the same as Albuquerque. I went out to the Petroglyphs/Volcanoes parking lot one night looking to see the most recent comet in the western sky -- there was a couple dozen people there doing the same thing when I got there. I enjoy the Perseid meteor shower from my back yard but I'm 15 miles out from the city center. Of course those same high and dry conditions work against you with a full moon.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:21 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Threads of interest:
Where to go to see stars?
Have you noticed the stars in ABQ? Astronomy

Old 08-25-2016, 09:22 AM

1,566 posts, read 4,423,203 times
Placitas is a good place to look at the stars. It's a town that has no stop lights or street lights because the of the residents' desire to get a good look at the night sky. There's even a star gazing club there.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:54 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,451,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
The map is helpful but the sky seems darker than one might assume because of the elevation and lack of humidity. Tucson and Pima Co. AZ have a reputation for dark skies but still show up with a bright spot on the map...about the same as Albuquerque. I went out to the Petroglyphs/Volcanoes parking lot one night looking to see the most recent comet in the western sky -- there was a couple dozen people there doing the same thing when I got there. I enjoy the Perseid meteor shower from my back yard but I'm 15 miles out from the city center. Of course those same high and dry conditions work against you with a full moon.
Yeah, that map is cool and useful but doesn't seem to account for topography. For example, Placitas is a very short hop from Albuquerque but (as another poster has pointed out) stays pretty dark because it has a 10,000-foot mountain range between it and the city lights. This is true for a lot of other parts of the state as well and the map doesn't seem to reflect that.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:03 PM

5,015 posts, read 7,405,115 times
The skyglow from Albuquerque and Rio Rancho are enough to affect the night sky in Placitas. The map does show Placitas as several shades better for stargazing, but the effects of artificial light go much higher up into the atmosphere than the Sandias. The light is not traveling horizontally, it goes up and gets reflected back down.

The most vivid night sky I ever saw was on a camping trip north of Abiquiu. Completely astonishing to walk under a sky packed full of stars everywhere you looked, with the bright swath of the Milky Way, while hearing owls hooting. An otherworldly experience and totally unexpected.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:25 AM

2 posts, read 4,263 times
Ojo Caliente has some nicely-dark skies, and you can avoid some of the light pollution from Taos Mesa near El Prado. See https://www.activelightphotography.c...et-night-skies for examples from El Prado.

If you're willing to drive a bit further north to Pagosa Springs, CO, there are many places for great dark skies. See https://www.activelightphotography.c...-your-very-own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque