Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 09:35 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,898 times

Advertisements

Have no idea if I've posted this in right locations. If not, mods feel free to move. If correct, please help!

I’m thinking of having a 10 year anniversary/vow renewal celebration next year. The stress involved in even this preliminary stage makes me grateful that my wedding consisted of a trip to the JOP (well not really, church wedding would’ve been nice).

Anyway, on to my questions:

1) Hubby and I have four kids and they will be incorporated somehow into our vow renewal ceremony. Many of our guests have children….if all brought their kiddies, there would be 30 children in all, from ages 1-17. This is not a problem, except:…….

2) We’ll be serving alcohol at our party…..Sangria and two signatures drinks. If party is from 6-11PM, what time should we start the offering of alcohol? After dinner and when dancing starts (8:30PM) or with dinner (which starts at about 7:00PM)? We’re inviting about 25 adults with their children from our church and I plan to word the invitation to disclose that cocktails will be served at a particular time….would also like to have this info available to parents and anyone who doesn’t want to be there when the bar opens.

3) If adults choose to stay after bar opens, should I have a planned activity ready for the kids, off-site? (Party will be at location near my home, so I guess I could arrange for sitter (or older kids) to do planned activities with the kids at my home) Or should I let adults figure it out for their own kids?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 09:50 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times
Hi,

One thing (maybe the first one) I keep in mind is that it is impossible to please all my guests all the time. So don't stress too much...

I would serve any drinks throughout the party, the ones who prefer having/not having any kind of drink may simply accept/skip them. Once in a party, unless you have other people assisting you, it is sometimes quite difficult to schedule things like "will open at x time"...

If one does not drink/eat anything, this person could simply say "no, thanks"... I think you are being thoughtful of your guests, but the drinks timing is not something you should be so concerned about, it is a personal choice of each one there. It is an important celebration to you and your family too, have a little fun!!

I very rarely drink, but I guess for the ones who do, most people would enjoy a drink with their meals.

It would be nice if you had activities to all your guests so that everyone (including yourself and your family) would enjoy the party without worrying whether people are entertained.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:57 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
You said dancing at 8:30.

Alcohol = people dancing

Start early!

Old 07-19-2010, 10:03 AM

1,539 posts, read 3,191,662 times
If people are coming with their children, then they can/should decide how much and when they want to start drinking. Can something be arranged for the kids to go do off site after the vow ceremony? A well trusted couple of sitters at your house or something?? If the adults really want to let loose, it will be easier to do so without the kiddos running around. I don't have children yet, so my advice may not be practical but it's the first thing that came to mind.
***Also, if people are going to be drinking, who will be driving them home at the end of the night? Just be careful that you don't end up in a situation where you are liable for anyone drunk driving. Sorry, current paralegal student here, so I'm always thinking of liability .

Old 07-19-2010, 10:15 AM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Open the bar as soon as the party starts. Have some kid-friendly drinks, too.

As for the kids, it's not your responsibility to look out for other couples' children.

Children have been participating in wedding receptions with open bars for many, many years. I wouldn't worry about having activities for them, either on or off site. Kids always find a way to entertain themselves, even if they're just running across the dance floor before the dancing begins.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:35 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
My opinion: Open bar through dinner, pay starts when dessert is served. Kids & non-alchoholic beverages free for the duration. This encourages designated driving and gives people some time to sober up before they leave. If you have closed the open bar 2 hrs. prior to the party's end you lessen the chance of people driving drunk except by their own choice and $$.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:40 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
After everyone has gone home.......more for you and your hubby!! LOL!! J/K No liability either,,,,seriously! Best wishes!

Old 07-19-2010, 06:47 PM

Oh, please.

If people are old enough to drink, people should be responsible for whatever they decide to drink or not. Now the person who is hosting the party has to worry about that too?!

Old 07-19-2010, 06:57 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
My opinion: Open bar through dinner, pay starts when dessert is served. Kids & non-alchoholic beverages free for the duration. This encourages designated driving and gives people some time to sober up before they leave. If you have closed the open bar 2 hrs. prior to the party's end you lessen the chance of people driving drunk except by their own choice and $$.
Good ideas!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Oh, please.

If people are old enough to drink, people should be responsible for whatever they decide to drink or not. Now the person who is hosting the party has to worry about that too?!
Unfortunately, many are not responsible!! Perhaps a little worry or concern is warranted.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:03 PM

I agree, it is very unfortunate...

I was taught that drinks were just one more element of the party, not something that the host should have to worry about bc some guests did not know how to behave!

Guests who drink excessively are the people who, if so, come to my house only once.

You may call me old-fashioned and grumpy, but I honestly have no patience for that at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages