Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2008, 02:54 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times

Advertisements

I've heard Coors Light be described as a "redneck" beer before. It seems like in most of the bars in the DC area and in college bars here with more people from up north (esp. Jersey) Coors light doesn't sell very well and Miller Lite is teh best selling.

Is Miller Lite a very Northeastern thing? Is Coors more popular in the South, the Midwest, and the West?

I know BudLite and Budweiser are popular everywhere for good reason. I personally like Coors and Coronas the best. This is only about major domestic beers so I'm leaving Coronas, Heineken, Dos Equis, etc out of it. I'm also leaving out local beers like the National Bohemian which is a local Baltimore thing.

Is Coors, Miller, Pabst, and Bud equally popular throughout the country or are there regional differences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 09:02 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,968,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
I've heard Coors Light be described as a "redneck" beer before. It seems like in most of the bars in the DC area and in college bars here with more people from up north (esp. Jersey) Coors light doesn't sell very well and Miller Lite is teh best selling.

Is Miller Lite a very Northeastern thing? Is Coors more popular in the South, the Midwest, and the West?

I know BudLite and Budweiser are popular everywhere for good reason. I personally like Coors and Coronas the best. This is only about major domestic beers so I'm leaving Coronas, Heineken, Dos Equis, etc out of it. I'm also leaving out local beers like the National Bohemian which is a local Baltimore thing.

Is Coors, Miller, Pabst, and Bud equally popular throughout the country or are there regional differences?
Miller Lite probably is a big northeastern thing. A friend of mine that works at a beer distributor told me that Miller Lite is the best selling beer here in Northeastern PA....and not too long ago it was Coors Light, but Miller passed them off. BUT...Bud is the best selling beer overall nationwide. I don't understand why any of those 3 would be the top selling beers. People in this country obviously have no taste in beer. Although I will say that Miller is probably the most drinkable of the 3, followed by Bud. Coors Light tastes like water to me....hardly any beer taste whatsoever. Although Coors Original is OK.

Yuengling is also very big here. They are a regional brewery located in Pottsville, PA. Yuengling is also America's oldest brewery. Very good beer at a good price.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:18 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Personally I don't have a taste for Yuengling. I think the original Budweiser is the best, then Coors.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:55 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,562 times
I prefer Miller, then Coors, and NEVER SLUDGEWISER. LOL. I like Yuengling though too. I'm in NJ.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:50 PM

16 posts, read 41,718 times
I was very curious to see if there was any time of beer preferences based on location....was not at all surprised to find something regarding that question on this forum!! I live in NJ and drink Bud Light, however, I come from the Buffalo area and most everyone there I know drinks LaBatt Blue, Molson Canadian, or Budweiser. My husband is also from the WNY area and prefers Blue or Molson, but now that we live here he drinks Yuengling due to accessibility. He also likes Guiness.

Glad to see that Bud Light is not the "redneck" beer (I always thought it was Coors, or even worse Genny!!). I had a friend razz me today about drinking "redneck beer even though I live near the city now"...he's an idiot anyway....I figured he didn't know what he was talking about!

Old 01-23-2011, 07:31 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
Just my observations, but....

I think beers like Miller Lite, Coors Light, Bud Light, ect.... are as popular as they are because they are easy to drink and a good beer to keep around if you have people over, especially women. Because none of them have a really strong taste, people will drink it. While very few people will say that one of those beers are their favorites, most people will drink those. If you get something "weird", a lot of people won't like it.

I know whenever I have been to large parties at homes, you may find other beers, but you will always see that people have one of those three. I guess you could say its a "safe" beer.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:57 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
My boyfriend is also from Buffalo (I'm midwestern, we live in the great plains), and whereas I grew up with people who drank Miller and Bud products (raised pretty much equidistant from Milwaukee and St. Louis), he grew up with people who drank LaBatt Blue and Molson as their inexpensive beer of choice. I think of them as kinda the Canadian equivalent of Miller/Bud. It's really funny, because here in KC, if you try to get a LaBatt Blue, and they even have it, you're going to get charged premium import price. To BF, who is used to that being the cheap swill everyone drinks at home, this came as a shock the first time it happened. It's like when I studied in Ireland, and they'd gouge everyone for the American beers...it's like, REALLY? You have Guinness that came from the brewery at St. James' Gate THIS MORNING, but everyone's fascinated that you have Coors? REALLY?

I guess I'm a semi-beer snob, in that I don't drink the above types of beers unless I'm going to be drinking a lot, and don't want to spend the money on regional microbrews. But if I'm drinking for flavor, I'm more likely to get something local and made in small batches than one of the Gigantic Beer Distributor beers. I do find Bud and Miller (and Busch, agh) to be the "redneck" beers, because if I'm in my hometown at a demolition derby, or boating in a muddy river, those are gonna be what everybody's got in their foam cooler. No self-respecting redneck is gonna be touching my Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy, you know?

Old 01-23-2011, 07:59 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I know whenever I have been to large parties at homes, you may find other beers, but you will always see that people have one of those three. I guess you could say its a "safe" beer.
It's also the beer that you can move on to once the good beer is gone, and you're toasted enough that the taste isn't as important. It's like the backup beer.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:34 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,005,078 times
Coors lite and bud, bud lite in the SW.
But, I like seasonal beers, heavier in the colder months, they Coor's Lite summer.
HW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages