Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 08:04 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,650,692 times

Advertisements

I've knew someone who got throat cancer that was supposedly from drinking - but this person was an extremely heavy drinker. A longtime alcoholic who drank a bottle of Scotch daily for decades. His liver was shot too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 05:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
I've knew someone who got throat cancer that was supposedly from drinking - but this person was an extremely heavy drinker. A longtime alcoholic who drank a bottle of Scotch daily for decades. His liver was shot too.
not only is that a heavy drinker it is a pretty expensive one: the cheapest scotch is pricey!!!

Old 02-26-2013, 04:44 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
I don't get any of this. One study says it's good for you, another study says it's bad for you. I guess anything taken to extreme is bad.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:10 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
1 in 30? Doesn't sound too bad.

Have another drink!

Old 03-02-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I don't get any of this. One study says it's good for you, another study says it's bad for you. I guess anything taken to extreme is bad.
Let's face it, these studies really show us nothing. First of all, there is so much more to these studies than we see or they consider..take the drinker, what else does he/she do that is not healthy and what is the family history? This applies to almost all studies. There are so many contributing factors.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:00 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
There are carcinogens that get broken down by most people in the stomach. Some people (particularly Asians) lack this enzyme or partially lack it (either causing them to be totally unable to process alcohol or just less able to do so). I saw studies that linked this thing (the Asian flush) with high rates of throat cancer. Now, other studies tried linking it to drinking hot tea, so there's a bit of reaching for straws.

I'm going to go with the theory that turning red is an indicator of whether you are susceptible to cancer from alcohol until I see data saying otherwise. I turn very pale when I drink, which is a different problem.
i only turn red if i drink really fast.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:45 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I would believe that it was a culprit in causing liver or pancrease cancer.... as so many alcholics have issues with their liver or pancreas.
Considering how many people I know who stopped drinking for good 20 years before their alcoholism killed them -- by cancer of the liver or pancreas -- I can easily believe this.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:18 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
Alcoholism and alcohol consumption are two very different things. There are several studies that suggest moderate alcohol consuption is beneficial, most notably with stress and cardiovascular disease. Beer and wine also appear to have other benefits outside of their ethanol content (one study showed that men with the lowest incident of heart disease consumed 10-20 pints of beer per week).

As with anything, toxicity only occurs at certain levels. Stay moderate with your consumption and you likely have little to worry about.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Alcoholism and alcohol consumption are two very different things. There are several studies that suggest moderate alcohol consuption is beneficial, most notably with stress and cardiovascular disease. Beer and wine also appear to have other benefits outside of their ethanol content (one study showed that men with the lowest incident of heart disease consumed 10-20 pints of beer per week).

As with anything, toxicity only occurs at certain levels. Stay moderate with your consumption and you likely have little to worry about.
I think the important thing to remember is these studies always suggest a possible link, not thus and so causes thus and so.... A lot of things can influence our health, but it is rare for one thing to really be the sole cultrit. You are right, Alcoholism, heavy drinking, and some consuption are all different..

Nita

Old 04-28-2013, 01:34 PM

29,804 posts, read 24,880,628 times
So did the 1 out of 30 happen to be an alcoholic? It is suggested that around 5%-8% of Americans are considered alcoholics, so these numbers don't look bad at all, or surprising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages