Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2017, 06:20 AM

4,694 posts, read 3,475,013 times

Advertisements

I am not a huge fan of hard alcohol, I am more of a beer girl. I do like the occasional cognac.
Last week while out to dinner I finished with a drink that had milk washed cognac. It was divine.
I have looked online but am confused on how to do this. Does anyone know and can explain in small words for me?
Thanks!

Last edited by magicshark; 09-27-2017 at 06:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 04:22 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Here are the results of a search for milk-washed cognac:

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.SosTtmF7oG8

Old 10-01-2017, 04:39 PM

Thanks! These are the same results I got. Unfortunately none of them are very clear on how to accomplish at home. On the reddit thread there is a small ray of hope. I just hate to ruin expensive cognac.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:06 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
I heard first about fat washed liquors at our local bar in San Antonio. Once explained, I tried it several times at home experimenting with oils, butter, animal fats and milk.
It's not that hard at all. The idea is for the liquor to take on the fat's flavor, but not the greasiness.
I don't care for cognac, and would never do that to any of the top shelf brands, but I do it ocasionally to vodka or tequila.
Generally the principle is the same, you just use different liquors. It takes the harshness from the alcohol and infuses a different flavor of your choice - any aromatic oil (peanut, truffle, sesame), or even butter.
Infusing is easy: 2 cups of liquor, 1 tbs of oil/butter. Get a jar or bottle, combine tequila with oil, close tightly let it sit for a day or two (or less if you are in hurry), store upside down in the freezer. Take out and use it to make cocktails. I listed it first because is super easy.
Now, cream or milk goes great with cognac, whiskey, bourbon or brandy. I do it with vodka or rum.
The proportions are equal: 1 part of liquor, 1 part of whole milk, 1 part of sugar ( 1 cup of each, or 1/2 cup of each or whatever amount you want to make) plus 1/2 -1 lemon or orange, whole - juice and rind, to help the milk to curl. Here you can experiment - to your lemon you can add lime, or orange for different citrus flavors. Or add other fruit like strawberries ir raspberries. Or use brown sugar instead of white sugar. You can also add spices like smashed cloves, pieces of cinnamon, ginger, cardamon or whatever you fancy.
Mix everything together, close tight (use bottle or jar), shake even more, then store in a cool, dark place for 10 days. Give the container a few shakes every day.
Now the fun part - straining. Put a coffee filter into filter holder and start to strain. Change the filter after each round. More rounds of straining will result in a cleaner, clearer liqueur. Strain till the liquor is clear.
Now you have a base for your cocktails and you can store it in a tightly closed container or bottle for months. In the fridge.
You can also drink it neat. It's super smooth, and sweet... You will love it!

Last edited by elnina; 10-01-2017 at 08:15 PM..

Old 10-02-2017, 11:00 AM

Thank you! I think I get how it works now. I think I will start with brandy. It would be silly for me to try it with something as expensive as cognac.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:34 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Good luck, and please report back!

Old 10-03-2017, 04:16 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Thanks! These are the same results I got. Unfortunately none of them are very clear on how to accomplish at home. On the reddit thread there is a small ray of hope. I just hate to ruin expensive cognac.

Yes, I do enjoy a Courvoisier or two neat in the evening but I don't think I want to experiment with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages