Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 08:25 AM

326 posts, read 704,153 times

Advertisements

I've been wondering about the science behind cancer and ketogenic diets. I was wondering if anyone here has tried using a low carb diet (like paleo or atkins) or changed their diet in any way - such as moving to a whole foods vegetarian diet and noticed any improvement, or not, in their health or cancer?

Thanks for any input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 09:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
of course you are going to get a milion answers to this; they will all be different, as we often either see improvemnts by changing our habits or think we do. I did have an interesting experience, I guess you would say, many years ago: My colisterol was running above 300, I was not on meds, I wanted to lose some weight,so I went on Atkins diet, though I didn't lose as much weight as I have hoped I would, my colestrol dropped down to about 220 in 6 months or so: go figue.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:54 PM

Did I accidentally place this in the wrong forum? Thanks for your input nmnita - I was specifically looking for personal experience on diet and cancer. Although the reductions in cholesterol while on the Atkins diet is pretty interesting!

Old 07-25-2012, 09:10 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,628,272 times
My nephew was diagnosed with liver cancer about two years ago. He made many lifestyle changes including meditation and dietary changes. He has been primarily eating organic vegetables, organic whole grains, and herbal teas (primarily cancer fighting mushrooms).

It has been a mixed bag. First, he has already surpassed the time his physicians had expected. He was doing quite well for a while (it looked as well the liver cancer was in remission), but because he was doing so well, he reverted back to many old habits and the cancer re-emerged. Also there were complications from poor surgery procedure which left him with internal bleeding in his lungs. This may have been a primary reason he had metastasis in his lungs. The bleeding caused by the surgery was not diagnosed for several months.

Because of the lung metastasis, he decided to begin chemo treatment. His health has deteriorated somewhat since beginning chemo but he is still doing relatively well. Again, he made some decisions that he now regrets such as making a long trip from NYC to Hong Kong. While traveling he experienced a stroke.

This is basically the situation. I stay in touch with him very regularly offering my assistance when I can. If you have any specific questions, I will try to answer.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:34 PM

Thank you Rich for sharing your nephew's story - i hope all the best for him. Judging from what you wrote it sounds like there is some promise. Do you know what kind of mushrooms he was using? Also did he change to this diet immediately after being diagnosed? And when you say old habits do you refer to dietary choices or was it increased alcohol or something of that nature?

Thank you for this information - I have a friend who's mother has an ambiguous cancer, and as such is difficult to treat. I thought it might be an option to attempt something more systemic like healthy diet. I've read that cancer cells require anaerobic respiration for energy - thus require glucose. If the diet is created so as to limit blood glucose (i.e. a ketogenic diet) then perhaps this could have benefits.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:47 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,628,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciameriken View Post
Thank you Rich for sharing your nephew's story - i hope all the best for him. Judging from what you wrote it sounds like there is some promise. Do you know what kind of mushrooms he was using? Also did he change to this diet immediately after being diagnosed? And when you say old habits do you refer to dietary choices or was it increased alcohol or something of that nature?

Thank you for this information - I have a friend who's mother has an ambiguous cancer, and as such is difficult to treat. I thought it might be an option to attempt something more systemic like healthy diet. I've read that cancer cells require anaerobic respiration for energy - thus require glucose. If the diet is created so as to limit blood glucose (i.e. a ketogenic diet) then perhaps this could have benefits.
Hi,

My nephew did lots of research on his own and uses a combination of organic foods and grains as well as Chinese herbs and mushrooms to promote his health. I know that he is using the Turkey Tail and Chaga mushrooms, but of which have been shown in research to have anti-tumor capabilities. It seems like some of the herbs (e.g. coptis) have the ability to undermine the tumor cell's own immune system capabilities (yes, tumors have ways of protecting themselves). So the combination of the herbs basically first undermine the tumor's cell's protection and then nourish the body's immune system so that it can kill the tumors. I have to say that most people who observed him (even the physicians) couldn't believe that he was ill but then things deteriorated a bit as he veered from his regiment. He started to do stressful things in his life, eat the wrong foods, etc. The big error in judgement was when he took a long trip against everyone's advice.

Here is a link that might interest you. My basically understanding is that the fresher the herbs or mushrooms the more potent. At times he would go mushroom hunting on his own and he has learned how to prepare the mushrooms (they are stone hard) into teas:

Wild and Certified Organic Dried Medicinal Mushrooms for Sale | Wild Branch Mushrooms

Yes, cancer cells do thrive when there is a lack of oxygen. Call it cellular adaptation if you will. My theory is that certain parts of the body become oxygen deprived for a number of reasons (usually accumulated toxins) and in these areas, tumors develop since these are the kind of cells that can survive. The way to address the problem from a holistic perspective is to remove stagnation and thereby rid the body of accumulated toxins.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:06 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,014,485 times
Ironically enough I just came across a couple of blogs, including Gary Taubes', that cited a recent paper discussing a trial study on this very topic. Here's another blog about the study which links the paper in the blog:

Suddenly last summer. The triumph of carbohydrate restriction. « Richard David Feinman

Here's a link to a paper discussing the trial study:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/37202414/Fi...%20Ca%20Rx.pdf

Old 09-06-2012, 12:26 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
I followed a range of low carb/gluten free/ pescatarian diets for years before I got cancer. In fact, when I was 20, I was told I likely had celiac disease based on my brain fog and some tummy troubles. I could not afford the testing at the time, so I simply followed a gluten free diet because it made me feel a little more alert. Turned out it was tumors. I lived with misdiagnosis for about 5 years and when I finally got my diagnosis, I was stage IV with the largest amount of affected nodes that my oncologist had ever seen. He estimated that I had about 6 months had I not started chemo immediately.

During chemo, I was so poor and fatigued that I ate a lot of frozen food and pasta. Still entered remission, and I'm still there a year later (though I try to eat as well as my very tight budget allows). Local, pesticide-free, hormone free foods have been the way for me, and I minimize the amount of gluten and processed sugar that I eat.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:40 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,827 times
I have not had cancer myself; however, in my interest in alternative medicine/health I have come across a couple interesting things (that are low-cost, relatively easy, low risk, etc).

Book - Sodium Bicarbonate - Rich Man's Poor Man's Cancer Treatment (you can read some of it on Amazon)
Book - Cancer - Step Outside The Box, by Ty Bollinger (it reviews numerous cancer treatment 'alternatives')
Oh and, Iodine: Why you need it, Why you can't live without it by David Brownstein

And recently I heard a doctor interviewed regarding the ketogenic diet (high fat, high protein?) and its VERY interesting health effects - and he has a website cavemandoctor.com - I've listened to one of his podcasts and found it very interesting. (Only had time for one so far, but I plan to listen to several more.) He does discuss the current research findings as well.

I would also research or consider progesterone cream to balance excess estrogen (and xenoestrogens that come from chemicals and mimic estrogen), if the cancer concern surrounds sex organs (or maybe even if it doesn't). This site gives a good overview - Xenohormones and Xenoestrogens - Women Living Naturally (I get mine from another site I can share as you prefer.)

I like Atkins in concept and I use it (in concept) as I like how long I feel 'full' and a more consistent energy level. I'm drawn to the ketogenic diet, though I don't understand it well yet. Avocados, bacon, butter in my coffee? YUM! (Don't take my word for it - I'm just learning it!)

Best in your quest!! It's great (hopefully!) when we can 'put our heads together'!!

Old 09-10-2012, 08:11 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,014,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
I have not had cancer myself; however, in my interest in alternative medicine/health I have come across a couple interesting things (that are low-cost, relatively easy, low risk, etc).

Book - Sodium Bicarbonate - Rich Man's Poor Man's Cancer Treatment (you can read some of it on Amazon)
Book - Cancer - Step Outside The Box, by Ty Bollinger (it reviews numerous cancer treatment 'alternatives')
Oh and, Iodine: Why you need it, Why you can't live without it by David Brownstein

And recently I heard a doctor interviewed regarding the ketogenic diet (high fat, high protein?) and its VERY interesting health effects - and he has a website cavemandoctor.com - I've listened to one of his podcasts and found it very interesting. (Only had time for one so far, but I plan to listen to several more.) He does discuss the current research findings as well.

I would also research or consider progesterone cream to balance excess estrogen (and xenoestrogens that come from chemicals and mimic estrogen), if the cancer concern surrounds sex organs (or maybe even if it doesn't). This site gives a good overview - Xenohormones and Xenoestrogens - Women Living Naturally (I get mine from another site I can share as you prefer.)

I like Atkins in concept and I use it (in concept) as I like how long I feel 'full' and a more consistent energy level. I'm drawn to the ketogenic diet, though I don't understand it well yet. Avocados, bacon, butter in my coffee? YUM! (Don't take my word for it - I'm just learning it!)

Best in your quest!! It's great (hopefully!) when we can 'put our heads together'!!
I'm also intrigued by how a ketogenic diet might impact alzheimers. I've read some very interesting things about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine