Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2013, 11:32 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,249,582 times

Advertisements

Naturopaths tell us that fungi do not thrive in an acidic environment. They tout the benefits of treating athlete's foot and toenail fungus with apple cider vinegar. Other naturopaths sing the praises of treating these ailments with baking soda (sodium bicarb) with a ph value of 8.2 because it "alkalizes the skin."

Comments? Opinions? Thanx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 02:08 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Naturopaths tell us that fungi do not thrive in an acidic environment. They tout the benefits of treating athlete's foot and toenail fungus with apple cider vinegar. Other naturopaths sing the praises of treating these ailments with baking soda (sodium bicarb) with a ph value of 8.2 because it "alkalizes the skin."

Comments? Opinions? Thanx.
They are free to disagree with each other leaving the confused patient to grab their PCs and do some Googling. I never had the problem because when I'm not out in public I'm running around the house barefoot, or in winter, cotton socks.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:53 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
In my garden when I want to kill a fungal disease in plants I use bone meal to "sweeten" the soil. That means to make it more alkaline.

That may be an over simplification and people will say that of course a plant is different from a human but fungus is fungus.

I would just google whether fungus survives better in an acid or an alkaline environment if I wanted to know more.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:11 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,249,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I would just google whether fungus survives better in an acid or an alkaline environment if I wanted to know more.
Search engine results conflict. That's the rub.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:24 AM

808 posts, read 1,878,295 times
Try one on each foot and report back with the results

Old 08-19-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
They are free to disagree with each other leaving the confused patient to grab their PCs and do some Googling. I never had the problem because when I'm not out in public I'm running around the house barefoot, or in winter, cotton socks.
I'm not a shoe wearer either--just out of pure laziness or comfort--I'm either barefoot or in slippers except when I have to go out somewhere. I wear flip flops at the gym though. My dh caught athlete's foot a long time ago in a gym and it still comes back from time to time. (It's a wonder I don't catch it going around the house barefoot.)

There's got to be an answer somewhere on how to get rid of it. Knowing that it's a mold and knowing that light kills mold, I guess going to the beach and being barefoot would be the best cure. Maybe the salt water would even help.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:56 AM

One suggestion I just found on Google is bleach. Bleach does kill mold. They said to mix bleach with water at a 1:10 ratio and soak.

Also making sure your feet are exposed to air and light as much as possible because fungus/mold grows in the darkness and dampness. When you have to wear socks, make sure they are 100% cotton so they "breathe." Wash those socks in very hot water after wearing. You can put powder on your feet to help keep them dry.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:52 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

There's got to be an answer somewhere on how to get rid of it. Knowing that it's a mold and knowing that light kills mold, I guess going to the beach and being barefoot would be the best cure. Maybe the salt water would even help.
There is a medication that is 100% effective as you take a caplet one week to 10 days apart. It's systemic. It's called Diflucan (Fluconazole). You may want to Google it for more information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine