Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2014, 02:41 PM

284 posts, read 362,204 times

Advertisements

Good New !! I just went for some blood work yesterday and am happy to report that after taking CholesteRice Red Yeast Rice Complex and a high grade fish oil for 4 months, my cholesterol level has dropped 52 points, from 250 to 198, my LDL has dropped 40 points and my HDL has increased 8 points. My doctor who was really pushing statin drugs was quite impressed and told me to keep doing what I was doing, because it was working as well as those he had on meds. Side benefit, I no longer need to have liver panels done, because red rice yeast doesn't harm the liver. I've had to figure this one out for myself after begrudgingly taking Lipitor for about 3 months and feeling like my muscles were literally being shredded. I just wanted to pass this along in the hope that it might help others who are struggling with high cholesterol and statins. In my case, this has really worked!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 02:53 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
The product you are taking may contain a statin, lovacor:

Red Yeast Rice: An Introduction | NCCAM

Old 09-04-2014, 03:46 PM

284 posts, read 362,204 times
Yes, it does but it's in a small dose and it is bound to other agents making it effective yet better tolerated...that's from what I understand. I just know that it's worked well for me with no side effects to date.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:26 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
I used red yeast rice successfully several years ago. The brand I used was Solaray and it worked. My high cholesterol seems to be genetic since my two sisters have it and none of us are overweight and one is a complete vegetarian. I tried diet but it had no effect at all.

Your post inspired me to start taking it again but I always wondered if it has to be taken with CoQ10 like statins do. I don't understand what the CoQ10 is supposed to do for people who take statins. Does anyone know if we should take it with red yeast rice too?

Old 09-05-2014, 05:08 PM

The product the OP is taking also contains another ingredient that apparently has beneficial effects on cholesterol.

Red rice yeast products sold in this country are not supposed to contain the statin, because they would be regulated as drugs if they did, but many do. If the statin is in the product, it is exactly the same as the prescription drug levacor and has exactly the same risks. This just highlights the problem with the lack of regulation of "food supplements" in the US. You can take red yeast rice and not be able to tell whether you are taking a statin or not.

Statins reduce CoQ10 levels. CoQ10 is involved in energy metabolism inside cells, and the theory is that taking a CoQ10 supplement might help reduce statin side effects. Studies are conflicting, but a supplement of 200 mg per day appears safe.

Coenzyme Q10 and Statin-Induced Mitochondrial Dysfunction

Old 09-05-2014, 07:16 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The product the OP is taking also contains another ingredient that apparently has beneficial effects on cholesterol.

Red rice yeast products sold in this country are not supposed to contain the statin, because they would be regulated as drugs if they did, but many do. If the statin is in the product, it is exactly the same as the prescription drug levacor and has exactly the same risks. This just highlights the problem with the lack of regulation of "food supplements" in the US. You can take red yeast rice and not be able to tell whether you are taking a statin or not.

Statins reduce CoQ10 levels. CoQ10 is involved in energy metabolism inside cells, and the theory is that taking a CoQ10 supplement might help reduce statin side effects. Studies are conflicting, but a supplement of 200 mg per day appears safe.

Coenzyme Q10 and Statin-Induced Mitochondrial Dysfunction
Thanks, I agree that not enough information is given about the ingredients and purity.

I looked up the brand I used on Amazon and read the reviews:

Solaray guarantees that no ingredients other than those listed on this label have been added to this product."

Yet at least one reviewer said it caused leg pain for her. Most people said that it helped them a lot and they didn't say anything about pain. But I thought red yeast rice was a type of statin--maybe so, maybe not.

Still, other brands contain CoQ10--so does that tell us that they contain a statin?

I know that Solaray is a high quality brand and it doesn't say it contains CoQ10 so maybe it doesn't contain a statin and maybe it isn't a statin itself. Without enough information it's confusing and hard to make the decision to take it. I guess in my case it's better to take it since I have high cholesterol and it worked before. I had NO muscle pain the way I did on statins and my cholesterol did go down.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:43 PM

335 posts, read 409,725 times
If Red Yeast Rice is working and you stay at a fasting below 200 your good to go.
Although cholesterol is not the root cause of heat disease ( inflamation is the root cause)
Statins often remove too much cholesterol which protects arteries and removes the coating around neurons in the brain leading to short circuiting of neurons leading to
Early memory loss and dementia. Statins are notorious for causing joint and muscle
pain and swelling/weakness especially lower extremities. Whether satins should be
banned is unclear but pending law suits may influence outcomes ?

Old 09-05-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inattentive View Post
If Red Yeast Rice is working and you stay at a fasting below 200 your good to go.
Although cholesterol is not the root cause of heat disease ( inflamation is the root cause)
Statins often remove too much cholesterol which protects arteries and removes the coating around neurons in the brain leading to short circuiting of neurons leading to
Early memory loss and dementia. Statins are notorious for causing joint and muscle
pain and swelling/weakness especially lower extremities. Whether satins should be
banned is unclear but pending law suits may influence outcomes ?
Most patients who take statins do not have side effects.

Statin side effects: Weigh the benefits and risks - Mayo Clinic

One of the major ways statins work is by reducing inflammation.

Statins as Anti-Inflammatory Agents in Atherogenesis: Molecular Mechanisms and Lessons from the Recent Clinical Trials

The evidence concerning statins and dementia and Alzheimer's disease leans toward a slight protective effect.

Statins in the prevention of deme... [Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI

Old 09-06-2014, 03:22 PM

335 posts, read 409,725 times
Suzy_q2010 I actually I should have countered with the anti- inflamatory benefits
of statins . You are right on countering. What both of us did not add is statins lower
COQ10 naturally occuring as it breaks down to umbquinol. We are working on a ban
On statins and legal action for any use by hospitals, clinics, MD's DO's PA's and nurse
Pracs. as well as drug manufaturers and depensing pharmacies albeit chain parmacies.
Also Canadian despensing MD's and pharmacies. The VA physicians have begun to rely
on Red Yeast Rice and my cardiologist stopped ordering on patients older than 60. The
VA needs to step up officially and STOP despensing this wrongly applied, wrongly
indicated debilitating poison that somehow got FDA blessing. Cholesterol does not
cause heart disease many other predisposing factors do!
After discontinuing statins we used organic oil of coconut to restore the brain
barrier until cholesterol could restore itself and the former memory loss factor
was dramatically resolved. Additionally, GFR in the kidney's increased ( unless
Previously disrupted by contrast media/renal disease) Liver enzymes returned to
normal some elevated critically.

Last edited by Inattentive; 09-06-2014 at 03:51 PM..

Old 09-06-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inattentive View Post
Suzy_q2010 I actually I should have countered with the anti- inflamatory benefits
of statins . You are right on countering. What both of us did not add is statins lower
COQ10 naturally occuring as it breaks down to umbquinol. We are working on a ban
On statins and legal action for any use by hospitals, clinics, MD's DO's PA's and nurse
Pracs. as well as drug manufaturers and depensing pharmacies albeit chain parmacies.
Also Canadian despensing MD's and pharmacies. The VA physicians have begun to rely
on Red Yeast Rice and my cardiologist stopped ordering on patients older than 60. The
VA needs to step up officially and STOP despensing this wrongly applied, wrongly
indicated debilitating poison that somehow got FDA blessing. Cholesterol does not
cause heart disease many other predisposing factors do!
After discontinuing statins we used organic oil of coconut to restore the brain
barrier until cholesterol could restore itself and the former memory loss factor
was dramatically resolved. Additionally, GFR in the kidney's increased ( unless
Previously disrupted by contrast media/renal disease) Liver enzymes returned to
normal some elevated critically.

Many people do quite well on statins. The benefits are well documented, particularly for people at risk risk for vascular disease. Stating that statins should be banned is a bit like saying aspirin should be banned because some people have stomach bleeding with it or are allergic to it. If someone finds he cannot tolerate a statin, all he has to do is stop taking it.

If red rice yeast works, it is because it has a statin in it, the same statin sold as prescription lovastatin. Switching from a prescription statin to red rice yeast is just switching from a statin to a statin. If you were taking lovaststatin, you are switching from lovastatin to lovastatin.

Atherosclerosis is indeed a complicated process; however, deposition of cholesterol in arterial walls is definitely part of that process. Maintaining an environment that is not conducive to such deposition has a proven protective effect on the vessel wall.

Statins for heart disease and stroke, and debunking statin myths
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine