Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2015, 10:08 PM

840 posts, read 772,777 times

Advertisements

I have hypothyroid condition, and was told taking kelp would be good for it. However, regular Kelp is so high in salt that I began to have nose bleeds soon after taking it. So, I switched to Dulse . . . which has much less salt, but also much less Iodine . . . BUT it also has much MORE manganese, which is necessary for the uptake of the Iodine. (Kelp is very LOW in manganese.)

One teaspoon of Kelp is reportedly the most one should take. . . . But, is 1 tsp. of Dulse enough to take its place? And, what is the highest safe dose of Dulse considered to be?

I haven't been able to find any source that spells out specifically how much Dulse is the equivalent of 1 tsp. Kelp . . . for the equivalent therapeutic effect, considering that the Iodine in the Dulse is more bio-available due to the additional manganese in it . . . but also that the amount of Iodine is much lower in the Dulse.

Does anyone know of any good online info. or discussion regarding this, of which they could share the link?

Thank You!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 08:25 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,354,837 times
You can rinse the kelp and dulse in water and that will remove some of the salt.

From this page with tons of info on seaweeds
Medicinal Uses of Seaweeds

"SEAWEED IODINE CONTENT
Icelandic kelp, 8000ppm, Norwegian kelp 4000ppm, Atlantic kelp 1500-2000ppm, Pacific kelps 500-1200ppm, Fucus spp. 200-500ppm, Wakame 50-150ppm, Sargassum 35ppm, and Nori 15 ppm."

I would say start low and increase slowly, and go by how you feel.

Old 11-26-2015, 03:15 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,433 times
Dulse is like any vegetable. You can snack on it, quite safely.

Old 12-01-2015, 05:22 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
I've heard of folks taking up to 100 mg of iodine with no ill effects.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:12 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,627,626 times
A few points:

Any health problem is in the long time in the making and usually takes a long time to heal.

Megadoses of any perceived "magic bullet" is normally counterproductive.

Normally there are many (not just one) lifestyle changes that has to be made in order to address the overall problems that led to the condition.

The safest thing to do is to eat plenty of vegetables (including sea vegetables) in moderation, get plenty of rest, and talk to health care professionals and other people who have had similar conditions and gather information which may be applicable to you. Everyone is different and the accrued problems are definitely different.

Remember moderation is King. The body can assimilate just so much especially when it is already ill. Be patient and be smart. Look for small steps in the right direction not immediate cures.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-31-2016, 05:06 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
I've been dosing with Iosol Iodine on Dr. David Williams recommendations for probably 5 yrs...he says low dose 1-3 drops in "clean" water daily...that's what I usually take. Iodine is needed for all body tissues, breast included. When I have stopped the Iodine for a while, I would end up with breast pain and tenderness. So my friend said "are you taking your iodine"...and I was off it for a while...So I never miss a daily dose.

A friend has very low body temp and Dr. Williams says 4 drops for a couple weeks can bring that temp up..it has for her.

I "played" around with kelp at a point but then got involved with an Iodine group and went to the iodine/iodide which is Iosol combo. I deal with HypoT, take NDT since 2002 and selenium daily as well, had Hashimoto at one time but don't know if I do now or not. I know some people taking higher doses for cancer treatments. 1 drop of Iosol is 1.83mg.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:16 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've been dosing with Iosol Iodine on Dr. David Williams recommendations for probably 5 yrs...he says low dose 1-3 drops in "clean" water daily...that's what I usually take. Iodine is needed for all body tissues, breast included. When I have stopped the Iodine for a while, I would end up with breast pain and tenderness. So my friend said "are you taking your iodine"...and I was off it for a while...So I never miss a daily dose.

A friend has very low body temp and Dr. Williams says 4 drops for a couple weeks can bring that temp up..it has for her.

I "played" around with kelp at a point but then got involved with an Iodine group and went to the iodine/iodide which is Iosol combo. I deal with HypoT, take NDT since 2002 and selenium daily as well, had Hashimoto at one time but don't know if I do now or not. I know some people taking higher doses for cancer treatments. 1 drop of Iosol is 1.83mg.

I can't second this enough.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:17 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
A few points:

Any health problem is in the long time in the making and usually takes a long time to heal.

Megadoses of any perceived "magic bullet" is normally counterproductive.

Normally there are many (not just one) lifestyle changes that has to be made in order to address the overall problems that led to the condition.

The safest thing to do is to eat plenty of vegetables (including sea vegetables) in moderation, get plenty of rest, and talk to health care professionals and other people who have had similar conditions and gather information which may be applicable to you. Everyone is different and the accrued problems are definitely different.

Remember moderation is King. The body can assimilate just so much especially when it is already ill. Be patient and be smart. Look for small steps in the right direction not immediate cures.

Hope this helps.
And I can't second this enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine