Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 11:36 PM

9 posts, read 7,889 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, has anyone experimented with or come across any methods which one could naturally wear down bunions? It sounds ridiculous, but I am genuinely interested if anyone has been able to come up with some sort of longterm pressure application that could work them out? Like a mouth retainer, for example. I am not hopeful since even celebs with unlimited wealth haven't achieved this (see, Lebrons feet via Courtside Scribbles)

I wouldn't necessarily want to straighten the whole thing (I think that's impossible without surgery), but it would be nice to 'right the ship' so-to-speak. AND I know the surgeries are supposed to be awful, so any ideas are most welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 05:45 AM

233 posts, read 155,360 times
Default Bunions

Earth Clinic says chamomile tea, then place the used tea bags on bunions, besides rubbing them.

they also list calendula, and tumeric, best visit the site for all the particulars, and you'll have to use the search function....

Old 03-04-2019, 11:45 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
I've seen various products that one would put between the toes to straighten some. My mother had a dreaded bunion and would never do a surgery.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:20 PM

457 posts, read 496,737 times
I tried numerous products to try to relieve the pain of mine.

Only surgery worked for me.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:55 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Rozan View Post
Hey guys, has anyone experimented with or come across any methods which one could naturally wear down bunions? It sounds ridiculous, but I am genuinely interested if anyone has been able to come up with some sort of longterm pressure application that could work them out? Like a mouth retainer, for example. I am not hopeful since even celebs with unlimited wealth haven't achieved this (see, Lebrons feet via Courtside Scribbles)

I wouldn't necessarily want to straighten the whole thing (I think that's impossible without surgery), but it would be nice to 'right the ship' so-to-speak. AND I know the surgeries are supposed to be awful, so any ideas are most welcome.
Because a bunion forms due to a functional problem with the joint, you have to manipulate the JOINT to reduce it. Its a mechanical issue; mechanics can help it the most. There are splints to straighten the toe and retrain the muscles. You could use that at night, but wear shoes with a wider toebox so your toes can spread, not cram together. There are gel pads you can put between the big toe and the others to help keep it straighter.

Putting anything on the skin isn't going to do a thing about the joint. All that might do is soften a callus or, if it was some sort of anti inflammatory that gets absorbed through the skin make it more comfortable. But, if the mechanical joint function isn't dealt with it won't have any lasting effect.

Both my parents had bunions. All their kids do as well, but the ones who insist on wearing pointy fashion shoes have the most trouble with them. I've needed corrective surgery on both feet for several reasons including shortening and straightening out the toe which definitely worked. No problems now, though I don't choose dumb shoes either.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-04-2019 at 06:11 PM..

Old 03-04-2019, 08:03 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,224,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Rozan View Post

You can't "wear down" a bunion...a bunion isn't a callus

And no tea bags, turmeric or other supplements applied topically or orally will do anything for a bunion.

The proper medical term for a bunion is Hallux Valgus which essentially means the big toe is moving towards the other toes....its a literal change in the position and anatomy of the big toe typically with the bonus of bony enlargement of the 1st metatarsal head...again no topical remedy will correct the structural changes that occur with a bunion deformity.

All of what Parnassia posted above is spot on.

There is a genetic component and a shoe wear component to almost all bunion deformities.

If you want to "correct" a bunion without surgery, the best option is of course to prevent one from forming in the first place which means avoiding pointy toed shoes and heels....there is a reason why bunions are nearly 10 times more common in women than in men.

Of course if the bunion has already formed than the best you can do is still go for the wide toe box shoe and/or try the various toe spacers and splints one can find on the market....some work better than others....almost all are uncomfortable and rarely tolerated for long.

Old 03-05-2019, 06:10 AM

457 posts, read 496,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tla921 View Post
I tried numerous products to try to relieve the pain of mine.

Only surgery worked for me.
I should clarify my response.

I used products (not topical) to try and keep my toes straight, including orthotics from my podiatrist - trying to avoid surgery.

If the bunion has already formed, surgery is the only long term treatment (not 100% guaranteed). Other than the pain associated, my issue was also that there was not enough room in shoes to accommodate the foot size.

Once I had surgery I had to buy smaller shoes.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:24 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,117,780 times
I have bunions but they are not painful. They are genetic (for me) and I just go barefoot in the house and wear comfy sandals when going out.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:12 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,248,805 times
Right foot started showing a bunion 15 years ago. I blamed it on jogging counterclockwise, i.e., all turns were left turns, on my jogging oval. I wondered if changing to clockwise, i.e., making only right turns would ease the impact on the right foot, but then feared that a left bunion would ensue.

So I stopped jogging altogether and voila, the right bunion never worsened. Happy ending to bunion issue. You have to eliminate what you think causes your misery with some sort of alternative.
_________

Of course cardio's important, so jogging was replaced with going up and down he hill repetitively. Descending a hill, however, places quite a gravitational load on aging joints and after a few years the right knee experienced frequent flare-ups. That knee was not on the best ground to begin with pursuant to a partial meniscectomy after tearing the right medial meniscus via use of a leg extension/curl machine years earlier.

So humping the hill had to be abandoned.
_________

Only thing left was low impact via stepper, elliptical, and Rebounder mini-trampoline beginning 1/17.

Today, no issues whatsoever with the lower stems. Knock on wood.
______

Now if only I could come up with a non-surgical solution to the ortho's recommendation for a total left shoulder replacement, and figure out why my right forearm feels as if it has broken glass inside it.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:33 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
CH: I have two injured almost frozen shoulders and had Prolotherapy injection session in right shoulder 10 yrs ago and ended up with 3 yrs of pain free shoulder. Something to consider, prolo providers are everywhere and more and more entering this field all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine